Furboy's First Cowboyszone Mock Draft

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Either the draft pick or La'el could move to LG.

They desperately need another OT and having somebody play OG justifies an early pick on an OT.

Flozzel played OG initially.

Well, in the mock draft I just posted a few posts above, I drafted Hernandez at 19 (along with a few other alterations). That allows us to have one of the best guards in the draft and then we keep Collins at RT.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, basically, I'm down with either Crosby at RT with Collins back at LG or Hernandez/Wynn at 19 to play LG.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So, basically, I'm down with either Crosby at RT with Collins back at LG or Hernandez/Wynn at 19 to play LG.
Collins is getting paid to be the RT. You can't keep moving him around and expect him to improve. Just look at what happened to Green. I'm a huge Cooper fan but if we took Hernandez to solidify LG I'm ok with that. No way is moving Collins the best for the team

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, in the mock draft I just posted a few posts above, I drafted Hernandez at 19 (along with a few other alterations). That allows us to have one of the best guards in the draft and then we keep Collins at RT.
If the OT is legit I prefer your original idea.

The Swing Tackle for this team is almost more important than the starting LG and an OT is much harder to acquire.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Collins is getting paid to be the RT. You can't keep moving him around and expect him to improve. Just look at what happened to Green. I'm a huge Cooper fan but if we took Hernandez to solidify LG I'm ok with that. No way is moving Collins the best for the team

True enough. So, in that case, Hernandez would be the logical pick, especially if we wind up with Mata'afa in round 2.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

The Swing Tackle for this team is almost more important than the starting LG and an OT is much harder to acquire.

I agree to a certain extent, but the only problem with going with my original draft is that we don't really have a lot of LGs. As Irvin stated a few posts above, we can't keep moving Collins about. So, in that case, Hernandez or Wynn are the logical picks at 19. I then went Mata'afa, the usual suspect from me in pick 3, and you can see the pick above. Here it is again just to clear things up:

19: R1P19
G WILL HERNANDEZ
UTEP

50: R2P18
EDGE HERCULES MATA'AFA
WASHINGTON STATE

81: R3P17
WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME

116: R4P16
LB FRED WARNER
BRIGHAM YOUNG

137: R4P37
CB KAMERON KELLY
SAN DIEGO STATE

171: R5P34
LB DAVIN BELLAMY
GEORGIA

173: R5P36
S VAN SMITH
CLEMSON

193: R6P19
CB RASHAAN GAULDEN
TENNESSEE

208: R6P34
DL P.J. HALL
SAM HOUSTON STATE

236: R7P18
RB RYAN NALL
OREGON STATE

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree to a certain extent, but the only problem with going with my original draft is that we don't really have a lot of LGs. As Irvin stated a few posts above, we can't keep moving Collins about. So, in that case, Hernandez or Wynn are the logical picks at 19. I then went Mata'afa, the usual suspect from me in pick 3, and you can see the pick above. Here it is again just to clear things up:

G WILL HERNANDEZ
UTEP

EDGE HERCULES MATA'AFA
WASHINGTON STATE

WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME

LB FRED WARNER
BRIGHAM YOUNG

CB KAMERON KELLY
SAN DIEGO STATE

LB DAVIN BELLAMY
GEORGIA

S VAN SMITH
CLEMSON

CB RASHAAN GAULDEN
TENNESSEE

DL P.J. HALL
SAM HOUSTON STATE

RB RYAN NALL
OREGON STATE

My preference would be for the rookie OT to play LG.

Cooper was decent at LG. His only real issue was that he couldn't make up for Green/Bell at LT the way Martin made up for Free at RT in years past.

I don't think Brown makes it to the Cowboys 3rd round pick and maybe not to their 2nd round pick.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Allow me to explain the picks

G WILL HERNANDEZ - gives us a LG who I think will be elite.
UTEP

EDGE HERCULES MATA'AFA - Best kept secret who would be a steal here.
WASHINGTON STATE

WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME

LB FRED WARNER - Solid LB
BRIGHAM YOUNG

CB KAMERON KELLY - Underrated CB
SAN DIEGO STATE

LB DAVIN BELLAMY - Good sized-LB
GEORGIA

S VAN SMITH - Quick safety. Allows us to keep Xavier Woods at SS while allowing Byron Jones to take over for Scandrick.
CLEMSON

CB RASHAAN GAULDEN - Depth at CB
TENNESSEE

DL P.J. HALL - Friend of mine and a very solid DT.
SAM HOUSTON STATE

RB RYAN NALL - quick and underrated RB
OREGON STATE

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My preference would be for the rookie OT to play LG.

Cooper was decent at LG. His only real issue was that he couldn't make up for Green/Bell at LT the way Martin made up for Free at RT in years past.

I don't think Brown makes it to the Cowboys 3rd round pick and maybe not to their 2nd round pick.

True, we did have Cooper. The problem is that he's a UDFA. Now, maybe we bring him back, but I still would prefer Hernandez. That being said, I've heard that Wynn could potentially allow us the ability to move him to tackle eventually. Though, I don't think Brown will be a good choice for us. I don't like what I'm seeing in him. I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but I'm sensing a lot of Morris Claiborne in Brown.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Though, resigning Cooper and drafting Hernandez or Wynn would be AMAZING. That would give us an elite LG via the draft while also having quality depth at guard. THAT gives us a big advantage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, we did have Cooper. The problem is that he's a UDFA. Now, maybe we bring him back, but I still would prefer Hernandez. That being said, I've heard that Wynn could potentially allow us the ability to move him to tackle eventually. Though, I don't think Brown will be a good choice for us. I don't like what I'm seeing in him. I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but I'm sensing a lot of Morris Claiborne in Brown.

I was referring to WR Equanimeous St Brown.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

While I don't really disagree with you, I think it would be best to bring in a vet for swing tackle. If Tyron goes out do you really want a rookie tackle protecting Dak? I'm not sure I'm sold. Bring in a vet and draft a guy, that way the young rookie can learn.

I totally agree we have to upgrade at swing tackle. That being said not sure I want to use a high pick when we can fill that spot with a vet. That allows us to hit some of our weaknesses at starting spots.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair enough I suppose, though I still think that he'd be a superb WR for us. Though, I am actually willing to wait on WR too.
Just to be clear, I think E.St.Brown would be terrific as the Cowboys 2nd round pick.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would be very happy with that. Building in the trenches is always a good thing. OL and DL

Exactly, and that would be the goal. Our oline would be in great shape, and our Dline would obtain a serious upgrade. Taco and Mata'afa on both ends of the DL would be AMAZING. Then, toss in Warner in round 4, and we have one monster defense shaping up. Not to mention that our defense wasn't dreadful last year. I think Mata'afa, Warner, and my friend Hall would give us an insane front 7 with the players we already have. Then, throw in Kelly and Smith, and that's one crazy good defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I don't really disagree with you, I think it would be best to bring in a vet for swing tackle. If Tyron goes out do you really want a rookie tackle protecting Dak? I'm not sure I'm sold. Bring in a vet and draft a guy, that way the young rookie can learn.

I totally agree we have to upgrade at swing tackle. That being said not sure I want to use a high pick when we can fill that spot with a vet. That allows us to hit some of our weaknesses at starting spots.

Sure, get a vet if possible, but most decent OTs will go where they have a chance to start. Basically any vet they get has already shown that he is not even a low level starter. They could go for a younger vet or reclaimation project but that does not give the experience that you want from a true vet.

Maybe Andre Smith would take a backup job but I don't know if he can hold up at LT.