Signed by Cowboys G Jonathan Cooper re-signs for 1-year

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Why are we acting like Collins was put in competition with Free and lost? He was put in competition with Leary as they took snaps at the same position. I find it interesting that no one comes to the conclusion that Collins beat out Leary using that rationale.

I really think people are disregarding two key facts.

1) The coaches really liked Doug Free above and beyond anything the fans did. I think if they could have made a poster for RKG it would have had Doug Free on it. They chose Collins and Free over Leary and Collins two years running.
2) They tried Collins at RT for a few days at rookie minicamp and said that they felt he would be more comfortable on the left side. That is not a competition nor is it an indictment on his ability to learn the position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Wait you're putting Collins in competition for a position he isn't suited for and giving cooper a walk in starting spot at LG where Collins has started the last two seasons?

Joke?

He obviously thinks Collins is suited for RT. It is the sign of an educated mind to acknowledge and consider an idea without needing to agree with it.

Little Jr

Reaction score
This is not an all or nothing situation. Collins is still a candidate to move outside. The discussion is from people saying he cannot play RT. That is false.
I agree, he can't. Free has been the weak link for a few years, yet Collins never took snaps at RT except for a few otas in his rookie season when free was out and they had no one else. If they thought he could, they would had at least had given him some snaps the past 2 years in otas, mini camp or training camp.

Is he an option now? Sure, desperate times call for desperate measures. Its a pretty big hole now. Green will get full oppurtunity but his health is an issue. So they may have no choice to at least try Collins there.

We're also assuming copper can play G. Lol that's a pretty big assumption. Depending on the draft and maybe a June cut we can sign, Collins will remain at G as he should. If we cant, he'll get a shot but if green can stay healthy, and that's a huge if, he'll be at RT.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He obviously thinks Collins is suited for RT. It is the sign of an educated mind to acknowledge and consider an idea without needing to agree with it.
It's the idea of giving cooper (a bust to this point) a walk in starting role in the single most dominant unit in all of football while saying to Collins a starter for us for two years... You need to go compete at a new position.

It's asinine.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Everyone isn't entitled to be right.

Reaction score
You forgot to mention former Browns OG. The Browns O-line, by the end of end the season, was by far the worst in the league. If he couldn't make it with them, why in the world are we wasting our time? We're his FORTH team in FOUR years! Doesn't that raise any flags with anyone? We could have just saved our money if we needed a camp body & signed an UDFA for the league minimum. At least that player wouldn't have the baggage that Cooper has. Geesh :facepalm:

conner01

Reaction score
I guess this means they liked what they saw but I'd sure like to hear someone from the team say something about it.
I guess they liked what they saw enough to look again in camp though I would assume had he really impressed they would have wanted more than one year

reddyuta

Reaction score
You forgot to mention former Browns OG. The Browns O-line, by the end of end the season, was by far the worst in the league. If he couldn't make it with them, why in the world are we wasting our time? We're his FORTH team in FOUR years! Doesn't that raise any flags with anyone? We could have just saved our money if we needed a camp body & signed an UDFA for the league minimum. At least that player wouldn't have the baggage that Cooper has. Geesh :facepalm:
They didn't cut him for playing poorly, he was decent in the games he played and the guy who replaced him was way worse.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree, he can't. Free has been the weak link for a few years, yet Collins never took snaps at RT except for a few otas in his rookie season when free was out and they had no one else. If they thought he could, they would had at least had given him some snaps the past 2 years in otas, mini camp or training camp.

Is he an option now? Sure, desperate times call for desperate measures. Its a pretty big hole now. Green will get full oppurtunity but his health is an issue. So they may have no choice to at least try Collins there.

We're also assuming copper can play G. Lol that's a pretty big assumption. Depending on the draft and maybe a June cut we can sign, Collins will remain at G as he should. If we cant, he'll get a shot but if green can stay healthy, and that's a huge if, he'll be at RT.

I find it funny that some of those who were decrying Free at right tackle are penciling in Cooper at left guard. I certainly don't mind if he wins the spot, but how can anyone be counting on a guy who, despite being a first-round pick, has bounced through three teams? It's almost like, well, we haven't really seen what he can do so that automatically makes him better.

We don't know if Collins can play right tackle. We don't know if Green or Cleary can be a starting right tackle. And we certainly don't know if Cooper can be a starting guard. That's a lot of don't knows that fans are expecting to come up in our favor.

I like the signing for what it is, but I'm certainly not counting on anything coming from it. We still need a legitimate right tackle.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You forgot to mention former Browns OG. The Browns O-line, by the end of end the season, was by far the worst in the league. If he couldn't make it with them, why in the world are we wasting our time? We're his FORTH team in FOUR years! Doesn't that raise any flags with anyone?
If he is finally 100% healthy, no.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I find it funny that some of those who were decrying Free at right tackle are penciling in Cooper at left guard. I certainly don't mind if he wins the spot, but how can anyone be counting on a guy who, despite being a first-round pick, has bounced through three teams? It's almost like, well, we haven't really seen what he can do so that automatically makes him better.

We don't know if Collins can play right tackle. We don't know if Green or Cleary can be a starting right tackle. And we certainly don't know if Cooper can be a starting guard. That's a lot of don't knows that fans are expecting to come up in our favor.

I like the signing for what it is, but I'm certainly not counting on anything coming from it. We still need a legitimate right tackle.
Well reasoned post. What are you doing here?

negativecreep

Reaction score

The Cowboys have reached an agreement on a one-year deal with free-agent guard Jonathan Cooper, according to a source. Cooper joined the Cowboys during the playoffs after he was released by Cleveland. With Doug Free's impending retirement, the Cowboys could look to give La'el Collins a shot at right tackle with Cooper moving in at left guard.

We better not move our Guards outside, they found a home and are kicking *** inside, but they aren't L.A., we still have a huge need at RT. Just my opinion.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Cooper works out and Collins moves to RT we will have the 5 best OL in their draft. 5 first round players on the OL.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
False.

Collins got snaps as RT for his first mini camps and that's it. He has been a guard since then. Even if some fans hate Free..the coaching staff loves the veteran leadership he brings. Free never had competition for his job.

Please, live in a hole. Blackout your soul, you should die rather than be eaten as Carole. (see New Orleans reference) rofl.

Please, tell me again how the Cowboys are morons compared to you?