*** SPOILERS *** Game of Thrones Season 8

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If they voted him in then they can vote him out..... if he doesn't age in 20 years the can have another vote

But that misses the point.... the Iron Throne was destroyed and that will end all the violence and war

All the fighting was over who would sit on the Throne.... that reward has been removed.... the King is now a figurehead and the power rests with the Council

Tyrion is going to be running things while Branch is wheeling around hunting for Dragons and Night Kings in his dreams
I disagree about the king being a figurehead. He will be the king, in every sense other than having having absolute power and a lifelong reign. The throne itself being destroyed doesn't stop the violence, that's why they changed to an elective monarchy. That's what will theoretically stop the violence.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I initially resisted being overly critical of this last season but after letting it marinate and reading/hearing a lot of the well-reasoned criticism of some of the choices made I can’t help but think the show runners absolutely flubbed the story telling in the worst ways.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I disagree about the king being a figurehead. He will be the king, in every sense other than having having absolute power and a lifelong reign. The throne itself being destroyed doesn't stop the violence, that's why they changed to an elective monarchy. That's what will theoretically stop the violence.
No way.... King Branch is like the Monarchy in England today

Teets on a Giant Bull

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He was given lifelong reign, just not the ability to pass it to his heirs, but because he can't have heirs. We don't know how much power he has been given. I agree that just because the throne was destroyed, it doesn't stop the violence. As long as there are positions of power, there will always be ambitious people willing to do what it takes to wield that power. Everybody was getting along now, but give a couple years and opinions may change. Some may be put off by Bran's, aloof nature or be upset that it seems that Tyrion(a Lannister) is actually the one making most of the decisions, or simply they want to be the new king/queen. It will be awhile before life returns to normal, especially for the common folk with all the loss of lives and destruction and people can become impatient.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was given lifelong reign, just not the ability to pass it to his heirs, but because he can't have heirs. We don't know how much power he has been given. I agree that just because the throne was destroyed, it doesn't stop the violence. As long as there are positions of power, there will always be ambitious people willing to do what it takes to wield that power. Everybody was getting along now, but give a couple years and opinions may change. Some may be put off by Bran's, aloof nature or be upset that it seems that Tyrion(a Lannister) is actually the one making most of the decisions, or simply they want to be the new king/queen. It will be awhile before life returns to normal, especially for the common folk with all the loss of lives and destruction and people can become impatient.
What I meant by not having a lifelong reign, is that the king can be voted out, if desired. That also speaks to having a certain limit to his power, but overall, he makes the decisions. The king now has to walk the line of acceptable rule, a monarchy without the possibility of tyranny. Tyrion is Hand of the King, the same as he was with Daenerys - an adviser, and second in command. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
What I meant by not having a lifelong reign, is that the king can be voted out, if desired. That also speaks to having a certain limit to his power, but overall, he makes the decisions. The king now has to walk the line of acceptable rule, a monarchy without the possibility of tyranny. Tyrion is Hand of the King, the same as he was with Daenerys - an adviser, and second in command. That's the way I see it, anyway.
What's acceptable to one kingdom may not be acceptable to another and in this world when people don't like something, they start scheming. I would fully expect the Iron Islands to secede sooner than later, they've fought for their own independence before and kinda surprised they didn't when The North did. I would suspect, Bran would allow it, but how would the other kingdoms and their lords react? I think that Dorne could also secede, they joined the 7 Kingdoms on their own, mostly to keep the peace and not get destroyed by Dragons, they have been largely untouched by the destruction the recent wars have caused. They kinda have done their own thing anyway and when the new Prince goes back the rest of the lords may want their own independence. They really don't have a benefit or much incentive to remain part of the 6 Kingdoms.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What's acceptable to one kingdom may not be acceptable to another and in this world when people don't like something, they start scheming. I would fully expect the Iron Islands to secede sooner than later, they've fought for their own independence before and kinda surprised they didn't when The North did. I would suspect, Bran would allow it, but how would the other kingdoms and their lords react? I think that Dorne could also secede, they joined the 7 Kingdoms on their own, mostly to keep the peace and not get destroyed by Dragons, they have been largely untouched by the destruction the recent wars have caused. They kinda have done their own thing anyway and when the new Prince goes back the rest of the lords may want their own independence. They really don't have a benefit or much incentive to remain part of the 6 Kingdoms.
Hopefully, all of this gets addressed in one or two spin-offs.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Hopefully, all of this gets addressed in one or two spin-offs.

I don't think that happens unless GRRM finishes the books. GRRM still hasn't even caught up to where this story ended yet. There are supposedly 3 prequels in the work, so it would be quite awhile before a new story would start where GOT ended.

nobody

Reaction score

Bran could easily ferret out any scheming without a master of whispers. He could also warg into some animal to take care of the schemers in question, too.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
r6EMksJ.jpg

Me too Emilia. Me too. :D

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Bran could easily ferret out any scheming without a master of whispers. He could also warg into some animal to take care of the schemers in question, too.
The point being that ruling over that many people, someone will always be unhappy with your decisions. The issue would also get exacerbated because Bran doesn't explain the why or why not of his actions or inactions. He can't speak more than 1 or 2 sentences before he "has to go". Bran may be able to see the big picture, but he never explains it either. Not everybody will have faith in his decisions, especially if it starts rocky and takes time to unfold. When people get impatient or nervous, they deviate from the plan and deviating from the plan in GOT usually means violence.

nobody

Reaction score
The point being that ruling over that many people, someone will always be unhappy with your decisions. The issue would also get exacerbated because Bran doesn't explain the why or why not of his actions or inactions. He can't speak more than 1 or 2 sentences before he "has to go". Bran may be able to see the big picture, but he never explains it either. Not everybody will have faith in his decisions, especially if it starts rocky and takes time to unfold. When people get impatient or nervous, they deviate from the plan and deviating from the plan in GOT usually means violence.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm pretty sure they established that he can see the past, present, and possibly the future. It's kinda hard to plan something against someone with precognition.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not disagreeing, but I'm pretty sure they established that he can see the past, present, and possibly the future. It's kinda hard to plan something against someone with precognition.
I'm in agreement with you, for the most part, as we discuss this subject, but as far as his precognition goes, I don't think he sees whatever he wants. If he did, I'm sure he would've warned Jon (or someone willing to kill her) about Daenerys's little tantrum, in an attempt to save thousands of innocents.

nobody

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with you, for the most part, as we discuss this subject, but as far as his precognition goes, I don't think he sees whatever he wants. If he did, I'm sure he would've warned Jon (or someone willing to kill her) about Daenerys's little tantrum, in an attempt to save thousands of innocents.

That depends on what his motivations were. If he really wanted to be king, for instance, he'd let it happen.