Game of Thrones

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Viper;3962866 said:
it comes out in July. He should finish the series in 10-12 years with two more books. If he makes it that long. The guy takes his time between books. To be honest, I thought he started to drag the series out a bit, kinda like Jordan.

Yeah, did not even read the last 2 Robert Jordan books - then he up and dies, leaveing the series in limbo. Guess someone else is finishing that series up. Thanks for the info. Will see how i get through these next 2...

Reaction score
I don't see any comparison whatsoever between ASoIaF and The Wheel of Time in terms of dragging. ASoIaF has been great through the first 4 books IMO, and A Dance with Dragons will only be better, because it has some of my favorite characters that I didn't even get to read in Feast.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Next Episode should be GOOOOD.

Episode 8 is written by GRRM himself.

All I can say is..

Syrio :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Just caught up with episodes 6 and 7. This is really picking up steam. Since I haven't read the books, it was like there were so many characters to introduce it seemed to take a few weeks. Now we kind of know them and the plot is taking shape.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3963845 said:
Just caught up with episodes 6 and 7. This is really picking up steam. Since I haven't read the books, it was like there were so many characters to introduce it seemed to take a few weeks. Now we kind of know them and the plot is taking shape.

I just started to read the books and haven't quite caught up to the show yet. There are so many characters introduced. I bet writing this book took an immense amount of notes just to keep the characters straight.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
nyc;3964033 said:
I just started to read the books and haven't quite caught up to the show yet. There are so many characters introduced. I bet writing this book took an immense amount of notes just to keep the characters straight.

I'm going to go ahead and post this ALTHOUGH IT CONTAINS *SPOILERS*!!!!!!!!!!

I avoided some things in this thread because I hadn't caught up until last night, hopefully my disclaimer helps those who haven't watched through episode 7.

But to your point, they're still introducing characters. I guess they've done enough with the existing characters that in the past couple or three episodes they've been able to rev up the drama. For example, in episode 7 when Ned starts trying to figure out who is the rightful heir, he talks about Stan, who as far as I can recall hasn't been introduced. But his younger brother has, whose name escapes me (Renly??), and Ned discusses the situation with him. Until the last episode I had no idea the relation of Renly to Robert.

But when they "re-introduce" the character so to speak, it appears pretty seamless.

This Baelish guy is really a likeable character, although he's the ultimate snake. I don't know why I find myself liking him in the series. Pretty impressive that the writers and the actor can actually make that guy come off likeable. Guess that's because Baelish is so good at what he does. He fooled Ned, and he fooled me.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3964062 said:

I avoided some things in this thread because I hadn't caught up until last night, hopefully my disclaimer helps those who haven't watched through episode 7.

But to your point, they're still introducing characters. I guess they've done enough with the existing characters that in the past couple or three episodes they've been able to rev up the drama. For example, in episode 7 when Ned starts trying to figure out who is the rightful heir, he talks about Stan, who as far as I can recall hasn't been introduced. But his younger brother has, whose name escapes me (Renly??), and Ned discusses the situation with him. Until the last episode I had no idea the relation of Renly to Robert.

But when they "re-introduce" the character so to speak, it appears pretty seamless.

This Baelish guy is really a likeable character, although he's the ultimate snake. I don't know why I find myself liking him in the series. Pretty impressive that the writers and the actor can actually make that guy come off likeable. Guess that's because Baelish is so good at what he does. He fooled Ned, and he fooled me.

Baelish even told Ned that he shouldn't trust him. :laugh2:

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
peplaw06;3964062 said:

Your comments about Littlefinger are pretty spot on. The actor and writers are pulling his character off perfectly. You find yourself liking him in the novels as well as the story goes on, or at least kinda rootin' for him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3963845 said:

btw, start reading the books. It's actually pretty fun to read and watch the show at the same time. It actually adds a lot of depth to the show. Makes it just that much better.

I must say the casting on the show is first rate. They did a great job of casting.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
nyc;3964152 said:
btw, start reading the books. It's actually pretty fun to read and watch the show at the same time. It actually adds a lot of depth to the show. Makes it just that much better.

I must say the casting on the show is first rate. They did a great job of casting.

Yep, I like most of the casting but I'm really liking Jaime Lannisters casting. I think that guy is doing a good job and I can see him really pulling it off in the later books if the show goes that far.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Just watched the entire series, to the present episode, in one fell swoop this memorial day. Very impressed with the show, every episode was compelling and riveting. Great casting, good dialogue and performances, nice visuals! Sadly, I must now wait each week for the new episode, like everyone else.

Haven't read the books, though I know they are good, and I like Martin as a writer. Will probably hold off til the end of this first season, and then start reading.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
peplaw06;3964062 said:

Stannis is only referenced in the first book, and most of it coming around this point in the story, though there were more earlier mentions than in the show obviously. He doesn't physically show up until book 2. There will be plenty of newer characters introduced next season (and some more this season as well). With the death rate of "main" characters, there has to be an ample supply of new ones.

WarC

Reaction score
viman96;3962655 said:
Great show last night! Like a few others I have not read the books. After season 1 is over I will read them to fill in the gaps everyone is talking about.

Theres a lot of them. I'm reading Book 1 and I'm staying ahead of the show, so I notice the differences in a big way. Theres so much dialogue and so many scenes in the book that play out harder, meaner and longer than in the show.

If you like the show you'll love the book.

Definitely going to be buying the rest of the books in the next few weeks!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
nyc;3964152 said:

I just bought them on Amazon based on your recommendation. Had a set of the first four in paperback for $20. I know the books are long, but is it pretty quick reading?

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
peplaw06;3964827 said:
I just bought them on Amazon based on your recommendation. Had a set of the first four in paperback for $20. I know the books are long, but is it pretty quick reading?

For me it was. It's one of those that you start reading and before you know it you have been reading for a couple of hours and didn't realize it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3964827 said:

That is the same set I bought from Amazon.

That is a relative term, but it's not a difficult read. I generally don't want to put it down once I start reading.

Reaction score
The books will engage you and you will likely not ever feel they're dragging, but they're not short books, especially A Storm of Swords. I think the hardback of that one is pushing 1000 pages. A Dance with Dragons is going to be even longer, or equally long too, but I'm psyched. It just means more for me to read and enjoy. :D

Kevinicus

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;3964828 said:
For me it was. It's one of those that you start reading and before you know it you have been reading for a couple of hours and didn't realize it.

Yeah, the time goes by pretty fast, but the pages don't. The books definitely weren't padded with large font or spacing,

I do good to get about 30 pages a day done (This is at work during two 15 min. breaks and a 30 min. lunch, I do a little better if I'm at home and there's less distraction). Compare that to some other books I've read in the past year that I would get 80 pages in on a good day.

Temo

Reaction score
My first time reading the series (way back in 2005), nothing in the series dragged. I read all the books in a week (spring break in college, all my friends had left and I was alone in the apartment for a week).

I started re-reading them now, and I notice that by "Storm of Swords", a lot of the stuff on the Wall with Jon and in the Iron Islands tends to drag (at least until Stannis and Euron show up). Otherwise, everything else is almost as fresh the second time as it was the first.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Temo;3965598 said:
My first time reading the series (way back in 2005), nothing in the series dragged. I read all the books in a week (spring break in college, all my friends had left and I was alone in the apartment for a week).

I started re-reading them now, and I notice that by "Storm of Swords", a lot of the stuff on the Wall with Jon and in the Iron Islands tends to drag (at least until Stannis and Euron show up). Otherwise, everything else is almost as fresh the second time as it was the first.

I've never felt the stuff with Jon drags, though even the first time around the Iron Islands was probably my least favorite part, especially when it's first introduced. I just never cared for Theon much.