Game of Thrones

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3965495 said:
Yeah, the time goes by pretty fast, but the pages don't. The books definitely weren't padded with large font or spacing,

I do good to get about 30 pages a day done (This is at work during two 15 min. breaks and a 30 min. lunch, I do a little better if I'm at home and there's less distraction). Compare that to some other books I've read in the past year that I would get 80 pages in on a good day.

I was talking to a buddy here at work about the books and I showed it to him and he said, "Dang, that's a thick book." Then he opened the books and exclaimed, "Ugh! Thick and the text is small!" :laugh2:

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Just finished book 3 last night - and the plot twists and turns ! I put the book down and just said - Holy Shi-! If they end up making the whole series, I will be glued to the television !

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
kiheikiwi;3966428 said:
Just finished book 3 last night - and the plot twists and turns ! I put the book down and just said - Holy Shi-! If they end up making the whole series, I will be glued to the television !

Yeah book 3 is the best of the 4.

The wedding chapter is just so good :)

tskyler

Reaction score
One thing I'm really looking fwd to in the next book is whether Martin creates two new characters called "Te'o and Romeo" Martin is a Giants /Jets fan. Back during the 07 season when we were riding high. Martin made a bet that if the Cowboys made it to the Superbowl he would create some evil outlaws called Te'o and Romeo and kill them in a nasty way. Since we didn't do it, he sure isn't obligated to keep his end of the bet. However, I'm just hoping he liked the concept enough to leave in the private joke.

Just one of the hundreds of reasons I've been waiting for this book for ten years.

tskyler

Reaction score
No, 10. Book 4 was split into books 4 and 5. Feast for Crows skips all of my favorite characters. So, I really have been waiting 10 years to find out what's up with jon and the frozen zombies, tyroion and his flight from kings landing, and even Danny and the dragons.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
tskyler;3967073 said:
No, 10. Book 4 was split into books 4 and 5. Feast for Crows skips all of my favorite characters. So, I really have been waiting 10 years to find out what's up with jon and the frozen zombies, tyroion and his flight from kings landing, and even Danny and the dragons.

Stop spilling beans. Discuss that stuff in IM or PM.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Arya's pointy end scene was such phenomenal fail it made my heart ache. They made it look like an accident =(

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;3967586 said:
Arya's pointy end scene was such phenomenal fail it made my heart ache. They made it look like an accident =(

I haven't quite got to that part in the book yet, but the way the scene played out, didn't look like it fit.

I watched that episode again last night on HBOGO.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The guy that plays King Robert Baratheon. (Mark Addy) He looked really familiar, but I couldn't figure out where I had seen him before. Yesterday I figured it out. He was Roland in A Knight's Tale. The big scruffy beard that King Robert wore is what threw me. If you see a picture of him without it, he is easy to recognize. (even though he wore a beard in A Knight's Tale too, just not like that one)

MV5BNjkyMzUyNDYyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODc3Nzk1._V1._SY314_CR2,0,214,314_.jpg

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;3968893 said:
The guy that plays King Robert Baratheon. (Mark Addy) He looked really familiar, but I couldn't figure out where I had seen him before. Yesterday I figured it out. He was Roland in A Knight's Tale. The big scruffy beard that King Robert wore is what threw me. If you see a picture of him without it, he is easy to recognize. (even though he wore a beard in A Knight's Tale too, just not like that one)

MV5BNjkyMzUyNDYyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODc3Nzk1._V1._SY314_CR2,0,214,314_.jpg

I knew who he was right off the bat.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3969002 said:
You leave my donkey alone :laugh2:
Probably not the first time you've told nyc that.... :D

Hey nyc, I got the set of paperbacks yesterday. Read a little bit of the first one, but was hard to do too much with the Mavs game on.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3969014 said:
Probably not the first time you've told nyc that.... :D
Hey now; you're a lawyer, so you would screw anything that moves!

peplaw06;3969014 said:
Hey nyc, I got the set of paperbacks yesterday. Read a little bit of the first one, but was hard to do too much with the Mavs game on.

Sweet. I'm 500-550+ pages in and I usually start to burn out in 500 pages, but I'm not even close to that point yet.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
nyc;3967769 said:
I haven't quite got to that part in the book yet, but the way the scene played out, didn't look like it fit.

I watched that episode again last night on HBOGO.

Just in the book it's much more intentional. She thrusts up with all her might or something like that. The scene in the show it basically made it look like the dude ran into the sword as she turned.

Meh.

That Droggo fight scene though. Holy ****.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
***********SPOILERS***************

So, I couldn't stand it anymore and I read all of the wikis for all of the books. I was intending to read these books after the first season was over, but now I'm not sure I want to. Almost literally everyone dies. How does this work? How can you get attached to the characters if the good guys always die?

Seriously, is this not frustrating when reading the books?

Reaction score
Reading just the wikis means you're missing about 40 tons of important development that makes you constantly have evolving views of different characters. Sure, plenty of characters die, but ones you disliked before become interesting to you, etc. For instance, Jaime Lannister has some serious development that makes him a more compassionate character as the series goes on. In fact, the willingness to kill anybody is part of what makes the series great, because you know there isn't going to be any deus ex machina bull**** saving the main characters. Plus, there are tons of non POV characters that are really interesting to read about, and that doesn't come through in the TV show at all since they can't use time developing them.

Anyways, Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys, and Arya are the best characters and they're all still going strong going into A Dance with Dragons. =)

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3969333 said:
Reading just the wikis means you're missing about 40 tons of important development that makes you constantly have evolving views of different characters. Sure, plenty of characters die, but ones you disliked before become interesting to you, etc. For instance, Jaime Lannister has some serious development that makes him a more compassionate character as the series goes on. In fact, the willingness to kill anybody is part of what makes the series great, because you know there isn't going to be any deus ex machina bull**** saving the main characters. Plus, there are tons of non POV characters that are really interesting to read about, and that doesn't come through in the TV show at all since they can't use time developing them.

Anyways, Tyrion, Jon, Daenerys, and Arya are the best characters and they're all still going strong going into A Dance with Dragons. =)

Shhhhhhh. Don't spoil who survives so long. There are even more still around too, as well as newer characters not yet seen. And who is to say that they that die don't come back!