Game of Thrones

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3991025 said:
I'm actually liking Stannis/Davos/mellisandre(sp?) chapters more and more. Really only a few bore me, and those are the ones with just Davos (not counting the BW Bay parts).

ADwD will have to wait awhile (though it's in the mail now). Still have half of ASOS, and all of AFFC to re-read. Though I'm wondering if it's possible to do a concurrent reading of AFFC and ADWD or if that would screw things up at all. I'd have to find a list of the proper order to read the chapters in, but it'd be nice to splice in some of my favorite characters in the middle of AFFC.

Towards the end of ADwD, the timeline meets back up and there are chapters from characters that were also in AFfC, so if you were going to do that you would want to be careful towards the end of ADwD.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
About 500 pages into dance now (got it yesterday). Loving it so far.. Trying to savor it some but it's hard to put down.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;3991857 said:
About 500 pages into dance now (got it yesterday). Loving it so far.. Trying to savor it some but it's hard to put down.

So would you say a concurrent reading of AFFC and ADWD is possible without spoiling/ruining anything? Assuming one went back and forth and read the chapters in the proper chronological order?

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Hrm.. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would get spoiled if you read both books chronologically, but I haven't specifically been looking for that while reading this.

Reaction score
Towards the end of ADwD the timeline meets back up and there are chapters for characters that were in AFfC, so yes, you will spoil yourself if you tried to read them exactly concurrently. You could just do it until you reach those characters and skip those, but it honestly sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

You could just read them both back to back and get the same experience.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will start A Clash of Kings this weekend.

I am borrowing the books one at a time and have to wait until two other people finish each book first so it is taking some time.

However this one should be interesting due to everything being new for me, where as the first one I saw the complete series before I finished the first book.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3993354 said:
Towards the end of ADwD the timeline meets back up and there are chapters for characters that were in AFfC, so yes, you will spoil yourself if you tried to read them exactly concurrently. You could just do it until you reach those characters and skip those, but it honestly sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

You could just read them both back to back and get the same experience.

How would them meeting up spoil it? By that point you would be done with AFFC. Or do you mean, their are POV chapters in ADWD for characters who while they were in AFFC, weren't the POV?

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3993903 said:
How would them meeting up spoil it? By that point you would be done with AFFC. Or do you mean, their are POV chapters in ADWD for characters who while they were in AFFC, weren't the POV?

AFfC has half the characters and it starts right at Storm of Swords ends. ADwD has the other half and also starts at the same time, but towards the end of ADwD some of the POV characters from AFfC have chapters that take place after the end of AFfC, so that's how I meant you could spoil some of AFfC potentially.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about what I meant!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3994062 said:
AFfC has half the characters and it starts right at Storm of Swords ends. ADwD has the other half and also starts at the same time, but towards the end of ADwD some of the POV characters from AFfC have chapters that take place after the end of AFfC, so that's how I meant you could spoil some of AFfC potentially.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about what I meant!

Okay, but what I'm talking about wouldnt be an issue since you'd be completely through with affc before reading those chapters in adwd.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
h3y9K.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You know, the books are great but one thing I noticed. When a certain story line isn't active, he still writes chapters with them, but all the do is meander around. By meander around I mean they do boring useless stuff that means nothing to the actual story plots. (Game of Thrones if you will)

*** Spoiler Alert *** If you haven't read the second book, don't read any further!

Dany for instance. I'm very close to finishing the second book and she has done nothing but roam aimlessly through the entire book! When I see a chapter with her, I'm dreading reading it as I know it will carry no excitement at all.

*** Spoiler Alert *** If you haven't read *BEYOND* the FOURTH book, don't read any further!

A co-worker who is half way through the fourth book spilled the beans and told me she is STILL meandering around doing nothing! :bang2: If nothing is happening, don't waste our time telling us about useless crap $x is doing!

================================

I just finished Tyrion's chapter recently after he got ****ed up in the battle for the Red Keep. Can't wait to see how that plays out! :laugh2:

Read the final Theon chapter of Clash of Kings too, but can't tell if he was killed or not. It sounds like it, but it wasn't completely clear.

Can't wait to find out. No, I don't want you to tell me! :laugh2:

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
nyc;4019779 said:
You know, the books are great but one thing I noticed. When a certain story line isn't active, he still writes chapters with them, but all the do is meander around. By meander around I mean they do boring useless stuff that means nothing to the actual story plots. (Game of Thrones if you will)

*** Spoiler Alert *** If you haven't read the second book, don't read any further!

Dany for instance. I'm very close to finishing the second book and she has done nothing but roam aimlessly through the entire book! When I see a chapter with her, I'm dreading reading it as I know it will carry no excitement at all.

*** Spoiler Alert *** If you haven't read *BEYOND* the FOURTH book, don't read any further!

A co-worker who is half way through the fourth book spilled the beans and told me she is STILL meandering around doing nothing! :bang2: If nothing is happening, don't waste our time telling us about useless crap $x is doing!

I just finished Tyrion's chapter recently after he got ****ed up in the battle for the Red Keep. Can't wait to see how that plays out! :laugh2:

Read the final Theon chapter of Clash of Kings too, but can't tell if he was killed or not. It sounds like it, but it wasn't completely clear.

I haven't read any books yet, but I hope at some point they use some dark magic spell or something to bring back Ned or Dany's brother, that was killed. Eventually she will invade, just a matter of time, at that point it would be cool if they brought back her brother somehow.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4019887 said:
I haven't read any books yet, but I hope at some point they use some dark magic spell or something to bring back Ned or Dany's brother, that was killed. Eventually she will invade, just a matter of time, at that point it would be cool if they brought back her brother somehow.

Hopefully by Dany's brother you mean Rhaegar, and not Viserys. Visery's was a PoS and if he's ever brought back I hope it's only to receive another Golden Crown.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
nyc;4019779 said:

The PoV style Martin uses is one of my favorite things about his work. It's neat seeing how some people like certain characters while others don't. Danerys is by FAR one of my favorite Chapter titles to see in any book. Especially Clash/Storm (book 2/3).

She's a 14 (in Clash I believe) year old girl who's on a quest to take a kingdom by force. Without those chapters of her (wandering around, doing nothing) there'd be no way to give her the kind of character development necessary to make some teenage conqueror believable.

Dany's chapters are also the only chapters that explore the world outside of Westeros, Without her wandering around from place to place, we'd have no window to all the places she travels.

Fully fleshing out his world is one thing I *love* about Martin.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
How many of you have completed Dance with Dragons? I'm tempted to start a thread to discuss things in that book, but I don't know if more than one or two of you have finished it yet.

There are TONS of new theories that would be fun to discuss :)