Gameday menu!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hahahaha...how ironic that you asked me that. So I used to stir the roux with the typical oil and flour but to make it a bit healthier I stated baking the flour with no oil.

On this last batch I baked the flour but couldn’t get the gumbo to thicken up to the consistency I like (even after using file and okra) so at the last minute I made a roux on the stove top with oil/flour and dumped it in.

I still can’t figure out why I couldn’t get thick like usual but it ended up turning out great.
I stopped putting the word "healthy" with gumbo like I stopped doing with chili and since I don't make it often, I go with rendering pancetta, because it's not smoked, for the oil in the roux after toasting the flour. I used bacon drippings but it had this weird aftertaste and I figured it was the smoke. And that crispy pancetta make a great topping for the gumbo.

Actually makes a great topping for everything. If you've got a baby hanging around the house, drop some on some Gerber's and watch them light up and go to scarfing.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
sounds good coachie.

naughty one suggested i come by and say hi.

hope everyone is well.

been very busy with a new business.
dont intend to take part on this board with the beer thread gone.

have a safe & happy new year!
Golly Wally, I was fondly ruminatin' upon the thought of you had done put yer' show on the road back to downtown wok-ville communist red CHINA ,bro, ,,,,oilwello_O

*Hahaha, it's good to hear from you,PUTTY:thumbup:*

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Aside from protein shake after working out and going to get the daily cup of coffee in Helotes, I have absolutely no clue what is on my menu today. I am still trying to find my appetite recovering from the NYE party.
Thats awesome, I grew up in Helotes.
Its been over 40 years since I left, but still remember the great tex mex,, wasnt it El Chaparral? Is it still there?
Also the Helotes annual carnival was always really cool.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
AboutHy-VeeGraphic2018.jpg
We Live in NC but, brought some back from a trip. Never tried them before. We shall see today. Can't be bad they are ribs. Right?

I’ve never had them; let us know how they are....

I live in WI and shop at Hy Vee; so I’m interested in hearing how they are.

My kids love Hy Vee’s boneless barbecue chicken wings. So that’s a usual staple (I have never been able to figure out how to make good wings... other than smoking them, but then the kids complain about no breading.)

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Making my first slow cooker pulled chicken BBQ...pretty excited. Added a little “smoke” along with Sweet baby Ray’s sauce, garlic cloves etc...Sweet potato fries and of course to wash it down, wait for it....Garrison Bro’s. Bourbon!! Might as well go down with the ship.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Thats awesome, I grew up in Helotes.
Its been over 40 years since I left, but still remember the great tex mex,, wasnt it El Chaparral? Is it still there?
Also the Helotes annual carnival was always really cool.
Yeah, El Chalarral is still there. We go to Texas Grounds Coffee every Saturday and Sunday, visit Helotes Winery about once a month and drink a bottle of wine sitting outside and love Booby Js burgers. They also have B Daddy’s BBQ there now which is pretty dang good.

aria

Reaction score
Never tried ham in gumbo.....gonna have to try that come Madi Gras.

Is it cubed?
Yeah, I had a whole smoked ham shipped from Nueskes and cut it into cubes. The smoke flavor adds a nice distinction. All jokes aside, I’m not a sausage guy so I use ham instead.

aria

Reaction score
I stopped putting the word "healthy" with gumbo like I stopped doing with chili and since I don't make it often, I go with rendering pancetta, because it's not smoked, for the oil in the roux after toasting the flour. I used bacon drippings but it had this weird aftertaste and I figured it was the smoke. And that crispy pancetta make a great topping for the gumbo.

Actually makes a great topping for everything. If you've got a baby hanging around the house, drop some on some Gerber's and watch them light up and go to scarfing.
Lol, I have caught a lot of crap from my Lousiana friends and gumbo purists for baking the flour and trying to make it “healthy.”

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I’ve never had them; let us know how they are....

I live in WI and shop at Hy Vee; so I’m interested in hearing how they are.

My kids love Hy Vee’s boneless barbecue chicken wings. So that’s a usual staple (I have never been able to figure out how to make good wings... other than smoking them, but then the kids complain about no breading.)
Very good for precooked ribs! :thumbup: Mine are better but, that's a lot of work. We set these on 400 for about 25mins. Meat fell off the bone and we ate the meat with our fingers. Half a roll of paper towels but hey, its all good. Mine takes about 4 hours.:(:( That's why i said i was cheating today.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Golly Wally, I was fondly ruminatin' upon the thought of you had done put yer' show on the road back to downtown wok-ville communist red CHINA ,bro, ,,,,oilwello_O

*Hahaha, it's good to hear from you,PUTTY:thumbup:*
Don't know if I told you, Wally flew down to South Texas in August. We had a good time. He's good people.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
New Jersey style sloppy joe?

348s.jpg

In New Jersey, a sloppy joe is something else entirely. It’s a triple decker sandwich... cold deli meat and cheese on dense rye bread... glued together with coleslaw and Russian dressing.
That looks ....

tenor.gif
Sloppy Joes here cant hang with that!