Garrett’s inability to develop Dak is the most glaring

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly! And that's why I don't think it's fair to blame Dak. I know life's not fair, and that's besides the point. I say it's unfair because of who the coach is. Even Quincy Carter looked better with Parcells. Parcells managed to find something that worked for Quincy, and that translated into a 10-6 season. I think a proper coach could do even better for Dak because he obviously has tools for the job. He's just got a coach that's **** at developing it and channeling it properly.

Like I said to someone on another thread. I at least want to try another coach before we dump Dak. I DON'T feel comfortable at ALL forcing a new rookie QB to suffer under Garrett, and it'd be a waste of a career to me. I want Dak to get a new coach next year. If he's still ****, then fine, we can dump him. By that time, Tua should be available, and we can get him. If Dak thrives with a new coach, then brilliant, we solved the problem that Dak was having. Either way, a new coach would make a world of difference. The team just seemed to be going through the motions today. They didn't look like they gave up on Garrett, but they did look like a group of blokes that weren't exactly passionate about the game today. Doug Baldwin, who wasn't even playing, showed more fire than our players did today. To me, that said all I needed to see. I think a new coach and a change in direction would do wonders for this team. At the very least, it might get them excited again.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I said this before. And I’ll say it again. What makes Garrett a bad coach is his unwillingness to alter his styles and philosophies to enhance the strengths of the roster. Especially the quarterbacks. He did it to Romo and now he’s doing it with Dak. Both mobile quarterbacks that he wanted to coach the athleticism out of. He prefers them to be what he wished to be. A stationary pocket passer. Romo started taking a beating after JG took over. The same is starting to happen with Dak. Why would we not run some read option plays today after they worked so well last week? Why isn’t Rod Smith in more when Zeke is cold? The frustrating part is that I do think we could be a better team if the coaching was better. Too many square pegs being forced into round holes.

Exactly, and that's why I said he's destroyed players on this team. He's forcing players to fit what HE wants rather than fitting his style around what the players do best. It's why I'm saying that a new coach would do wonders for this team. I really don't want us getting a new QB while Garrett's at the helm. They'll just end up being ruined. It's a waste of money on the Jones's part to be drafting QBs with Garrett at the helm. They'll just get ruined. It's like giving a Jaguar to a chimpanzee.

Zman5

Reaction score
I said this before. And I’ll say it again. What makes Garrett a bad coach is his unwillingness to alter his styles and philosophies to enhance the strengths of the roster. Especially the quarterbacks. He did it to Romo and now he’s doing it with Dak. Both mobile quarterbacks that he wanted to coach the athleticism out of. He prefers them to be what he wished to be. A stationary pocket passer. Romo started taking a beating after JG took over. The same is starting to happen with Dak. Why would we not run some read option plays today after they worked so well last week? Why isn’t Rod Smith in more when Zeke is cold? The frustrating part is that I do think we could be a better team if the coaching was better. Too many square pegs being forced into round holes.

I've been saying the same thing since 2008. JG would have forced Joe Montana to play like Aikman.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG and Linehan are the masters of the 2 yard routes.

They know its the only sure pass Dak can throw......blame the coaches all you want if the player doesn't have the talent level not even God can make it happen....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've been saying the same thing since 2008. JG would have forced Joe Montana to play like Aikman.

and I was feeling that way by 2013. Or, worse yet, he'd have Staubach standing like a statue. His philosophy MIGHT work for QBs like Peyton or Eli Manning. They DON'T work for QBs like Dak or Romo.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
They know its the only sure pass Dak can throw......blame the coaches all you want if the player doesn't have the talent level not even God can make it happen....

Tom Brady
Drafted: 2000, 6th round, No. 199

Russell Wilson
Drafted: 2012, 3rd round, No. 75

Drew Brees
Drafted: 2001, 2nd round, No. 32

etc...etc ... etc ...

JASON GARRETT SUCKS .

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Like I said to someone on another thread. I at least want to try another coach before we dump Dak. I DON'T feel comfortable at ALL forcing a new rookie QB to suffer under Garrett, and it'd be a waste of a career to me. I want Dak to get a new coach next year. If he's still ****, then fine, we can dump him. By that time, Tua should be available, and we can get him. If Dak thrives with a new coach, then brilliant, we solved the problem that Dak was having. Either way, a new coach would make a world of difference. The team just seemed to be going through the motions today. They didn't look like they gave up on Garrett, but they did look like a group of blokes that weren't exactly passionate about the game today. Doug Baldwin, who wasn't even playing, showed more fire than our players did today. To me, that said all I needed to see. I think a new coach and a change in direction would do wonders for this team. At the very least, it might get them excited again.

We don’t have another year to give Dak. His contract expires after this season. You can’t pay him like a starting QB. His time should be over along with every member of our coaching staff.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Do you honestly think that Garrett can develop players? Even if we DID get a new QB and some how find the next Tom Brady, think Garrett would develop him successfully into Tom Brady? Or, do you think that QB would likely end up looking like Tim Couch? I think it'd be the latter. Maybe Dak is ****. I don't think he is, but maybe he is. Does it really make a difference if we keep plugging in QBs with Garrett? Why is it that all our other backups look **** too? In fact, that's a PERFECT example. Go have a look at Cooper Rush. He looked FANTASTIC in the 2017 preseason. This preseason, he looked worse than Brandon Weeden. Is that on Dak? Or is that on Garrett?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lmao, exceptions ?
practically said the winningest superbowl Qb's of all time there.

Okay.. whatever dude.. If we sign a new QB Garrett will lead us to the superbowl ... gotcha .
Lmao, exceptions ?
practically said the winningest superbowl Qb's of all time there.

Okay.. whatever dude.. If we sign a new QB Garrett will lead us to the superbowl ... gotcha .

How is that anything close to what I said? Your confused. You should sleep off whatever your on. You think every QB taken in round 7 is Tom Brady huh? Your implying that happens alot...but in reality that is not even close to the case.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We don’t have another year to give Dak. His contract expires after this season. You can’t pay him like a starting QB. His time should be over along with every member of our coaching staff.

Oh, I thought he was on a 4 year deal? Was it only 3 years? Is Tua draft eligible this year?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Brady
Drafted: 2000, 6th round, No. 199

Russell Wilson
Drafted: 2012, 3rd round, No. 75

Drew Brees
Drafted: 2001, 2nd round, No. 32

etc...etc ... etc ...

JASON GARRETT SUCKS .

All the above QB had the God given brains and Talent to develop into Stars.....Dak doesn't.........

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
isnt that this man’s forte? Dak has regressed in every aspect of his game.

Jason Garrett was the luckiest man on earth when he met Antonio Ramiro Romo. It made him a very rich man.

If we are looking to replace Dak, we have to keep him away from JG

And the OL, and the pass rush, and the secondary too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All the above QB had the God given brains and Talent to develop into Stars.....Dak doesn't.........

Again, I ask you, do you think that Garrett would be able to take any of the QBs that are coming out in this year's draft and turn them into stars? Or, do you think they'll crash and burn like Dak so far has since last year? Look at all the players that have gone to **** in his tenure. They clearly had talent, but Garrett destroyed what talent they did have.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Not sure you blame Garrett for Dak being exactly who the scouts say he was pre draft.

Would you include?:
Tom Brady (6th round), Russel Wilson (3rd round), Drew Brees (2nd Round), Kurt Warner (undrafted), Bret Farve (2nd Round), Joe Montana (3rd Rd), Roger Staubach (10th rd), Joe Theisman (4th rd)

Coaching Matters .

How is that anything close to what I said? Your confused. You should sleep off whatever your on. You think every QB taken in round 7 is Tom Brady huh? Your implying that happens alot...but in reality that is not even close to the case.

There you go, I posted again .

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
isnt that this man’s forte? Dak has regressed in every aspect of his game.

Jason Garrett was the luckiest man on earth when he met Antonio Ramiro Romo. It made him a very rich man.

If we are looking to replace Dak, we have to keep him away from JG

JG did a hell of a job developing dak. Hell they even had "pin the ball on the star point" competitions after every practice. They're good at that and have been for a very long time!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There you go, I'll post it again so you can read it :

Yeah I know what I said. Why don't you also post all of the QB taken in just the 1st round that didn't work out. And since you went back to their an start from there. Most QB's don't make their impact...that's why they are the exception to the rule. Do you really think every 4th round QB is a HOF candidate?

keysersoze

Reaction score
Definitely would. It’s frustrating to watch. Dak has similar attributes to Russell Wilson. He should be coached and schemed to be on the same level. But he’s not. Carroll and company let Wilson play within himself until he was comfortable and experienced enough to make those changes in his game with confidence.
Dak is being coached to play in a way that’s not his skill set at the time. We need more spread offense and hurry up. Have you noticed how fluidly we move the ball in 2 minute offense? That should be our default offense. We aren’t good when slowing it down unless the running game is dominant. Our Oline ain’t as good as it used to be so to help them out a hurry up offense would keep the defense off balance. Let Dak run some to keep the defense at home spying him more. This coaching staff has a bad habit of playing to the opposition instead of outplaying the opposition.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Definitely would. It’s frustrating to watch. Dak has similar attributes to Russell Wilson. He should be coached and schemed to be on the same level. But he’s not. Carroll and company let Wilson play within himself until he was comfortable and experienced enough to make those changes in his game with confidence.
Dak is being coached to play in a way that’s not his skill set at the time. We need more spread offense and hurry up. Have you noticed how fluidly we move the ball in 2 minute offense? That should be our default offense. We aren’t good when slowing it down unless the running game is dominant. Our Oline ain’t as good as it used to be so to help them out a hurry up offense would keep the defense off balance. Let Dak run some to keep the defense at home spying him more. This coaching staff has a bad habit of playing to the opposition instead of outplaying the opposition.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and it may well be. But it almost feels like Garrett is TRYING to destroy our team. I'd say he's WORSE than Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly sabotaged a good amount of the Eagles, but he did leave them a good defence and sufficient conditioning to still run the no huddle. What legacy will Garrett have? All I can think of is nothing but what feels like sabotage at this point.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and it may well be. But it almost feels like Garrett is TRYING to destroy our team. I'd say he's WORSE than Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly sabotaged a good amount of the Eagles, but he did leave them a good defence and sufficient conditioning to still run the no huddle. What legacy will Garrett have? All I can think of is nothing but what feels like sabotage at this point.

Garrett isn't helping, the Qbs are regressing under his watch .