Garrett’s inability to develop Dak is the most glaring

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I said this before. And I’ll say it again. What makes Garrett a bad coach is his unwillingness to alter his styles and philosophies to enhance the strengths of the roster. Especially the quarterbacks. He did it to Romo and now he’s doing it with Dak. Both mobile quarterbacks that he wanted to coach the athleticism out of. He prefers them to be what he wished to be. A stationary pocket passer. Romo started taking a beating after JG took over. The same is starting to happen with Dak. Why would we not run some read option plays today after they worked so well last week? Why isn’t Rod Smith in more when Zeke is cold? The frustrating part is that I do think we could be a better team if the coaching was better. Too many square pegs being forced into round holes.

Your on point here my friend. Totally agree. Romo took a beating in the pocket were he had to wait for plays to develop and the pasrush got to him. He didn't take a beating when he scrambled or got out of the pocket.

His last injury was anomaly and he was already brittle from all the beatings he was taking.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Garrett's got a forte? I suppose he's got one for destroying our players! Let's take a look at the list of players that he's either destroyed or in the process of destroying

The Offensive line
Tony Romo
Jason Witten
Sean Lee
Dak Prescott
Ezekiel Elliott
Dez Bryant
Dan Bailey
Demarcus Ware (revived by Wade Phillips in Denver)
Demarco Murray

That's a large list of players that he's destroyed that were either great for us or were supposed to be. How he's still coaching is BEYOND me. I don't know if Dak's the problem, and his receivers sure didn't help matters with how many drops they had. What I do know is that I'm fed up with Garrett and that's a hefty list, and I feel like I've probably left players out. Those players are just from when he was a HC btw, that's not to mention the players that he destroyed as an OC. I think it's high time, late in fact, to get a new HC. Even if Dak is, in fact, dreadful, a new HC might go a long way to helping him. At least it'd give us a feeling of new identity rather than this stale feeling that we get knowing that we usually only beat the mediocre/terrible teams anymore. It's not just Garrett's inability to develop Dak. It's his inability to develop this team, and, what's more, the VAST majority of the talent on this team is under 28. The coach MUST be able to develop that sort of team, especially with the veterans mostly gone. Garrett has YET to show a track record for doing so. What we NEED is a REAL HC to make this work.

Again, just to make it clear for those that still blame Dak, let me highlight something, along with fill in players that I had forgotten, in the above list. The list is below again.

Tony Romo
Our offencive line
Demarco Murray
Dak Prescott
Ezekiel Elliott
Jason Witten
Dez Bryant
Sean Lee
Demarcus Ware (revived by Wade Phillips in Denver)
Terrance Newman (Knew I forgot someone on the other thread)
Brandon Carr (Doing rather well in Baltimore, isn't he?)
Morris Claiborne (**** here, decent with the JETS)
Dan Bailey
Mat McBriar

Those chaps in bold were excellent players for us, yet failed to get beyond a single playoff win at most here. None of those players in bold (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some) were here during Dak's tenure. So, how is our lack of success SOLELY on Dak? Those are players that Dak wasn't even here for that Garrett's ruined. It just shows me that simply blaming the QB is LAZY. Yes, Dak might very well be dreadful, but, MAYBE just MAYBE, it's the coaching. It's not like we were completely devoid of talent before Dak got here. Garrett just managed to ruin them just as he's done with the talent we have now. Those of you that place the blame solely at the feet of Dak, do you think that those players are also players that Dak ruined? How could he have ruined them when he wasn't even here yet? Or, could it be the chaps that've been here before Dak got here? Additionally, yes, Dak has flaws, as most young QBs do. The problem is that most coaches know how to mask them and play to their strengths. Look at Goff! He showed a LOT of flaws in his game his rookie season. Yet, all of a sudden, he started looking like an elite QB last year. On the flip side, you have Dak who looked very good his rookie season, and then fell flat last year. Think it might have something to do with poor coaching?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Your on point here my friend. Totally agree. Romo took a beating in the pocket were he had to wait for plays to develop and the pasrush got to him. He didn't take a beating when he scrambled or got out of the pocket.

His last injury was anomaly and he was already brittle from all the beatings he was taking.

Exactly, and look at Dak. The poor chap has been getting absolutely battered against the Panthers and Seahawks. Yet, has he run either game? Nope! Yet, he ran against the Giants and looked good. It's OBVIOUS to me what skills he has. I think a coach worth a salt would see that too, and know how to sort out a strategy for him.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
The scouts said he mobile QB, throws better on the run and is most effective with the RPO. Why then are we forcing him to be a pocket passer like Eli?

Your on point here , it is ridiculous the amount of trash Garrett has coached here . Destroying talented players with bad playcalling, game planning, and playbooks.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
you cant develop someone that lacks in talent

I'll ask you the same question that I asked Pappy. Let's assume that Dak is completely talentless and completely **** (which is hard to believe considering that he went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in 2016 and damn near beat him if not for rubbish play calling down the stretch). Are you confident that Garrett wouldn't destroy the QB that we bring in to replace Dak? I mean, have a look at the list of the players that I mentioned that Garrett's destroyed in his HC tenure here. That's a MASSIVE list. I think that alone speaks volume. Even if Dak's really dreadful, wouldn't it be helpful to have a better coach that doesn't have THAT track record of destroying players?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The scouts said he mobile QB, throws better on the run and is most effective with the RPO. Why then are we forcing him to be a pocket passer like Eli?

Because Jason Garrett is an absolute moron who doesn't know the first thing about how to make a mobile QB work. Like I said, he'd be brilliant coaching Eli. He's the EXACT sort of quarterback that Garrett wants. He's AWFUL at coaching Dak and was DESTRUCTIVE to Romo because they AREN'T the sort of quarterback that Garrett is effective with.

black label

Reaction score
I'll ask you the same question that I asked Pappy. Let's assume that Dak is completely talentless and completely **** (which is hard to believe considering that he went toe to toe with Aaron Rodgers in 2016 and damn near beat him if not for rubbish play calling down the stretch). Are you confident that Garrett wouldn't destroy the QB that we bring in to replace Dak? I mean, have a look at the list of the players that I mentioned that Garrett's destroyed in his HC tenure here. That's a MASSIVE list. I think that alone speaks volume. Even if Dak's really dreadful, wouldn't it be helpful to have a better coach that doesn't have THAT track record of destroying players?
He probably would destroy anyone

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Exactly, and look at Dak. The poor chap has been getting absolutely battered against the Panthers and Seahawks. Yet, has he run either game? Nope! Yet, he ran against the Giants and looked good. It's OBVIOUS to me what skills he has. I think a coach worth a salt would see that too, and know how to sort out a strategy for him.

There is nothing more easier for a defensive player to pin your ears back and rush knowing that their target is going to be stationary corpse. Making Dak into a pocket passer is just dumb.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Most QB's who run alot get injured. We have rpo's, but dak can't read a defense and he still doesn't understand how to release the ball before a receiver makes his cut. So he can't take advantage of the pass option. He did run today, but was bad at that too.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Most QB's who run alot get injured. We have rpo's, but dak can't read a defense and he still doesn't understand how to release the ball before a receiver makes his cut. So he can't take advantage of the pass option. He did run today, but was bad at that too.

When was the last time Cam or Russell Wilson got hurt? They are similar players like Dak.

I don't buy this BS about Dak not being able to read defenses. Maybe our playcalling is so bad that the defense already know what were going to do. Thus no one is open. You have Dak throwing into coverage.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He probably would destroy anyone

Exactly. That is why I don't entirely blame Dak for our offencive struggles. I mostly blame Garrett because his track record is much longer than that of Dak's, and his track record shows destruction of players. If Dak still struggles with a new coach, which is entirely possible, then fine, at least that coach will be able to pick a new QB. Now, I did see that someone stated that Dak's contract expires at the end of the year. If we don't think Tua is going to come available this year, wouldn't it be wise to use the franchise tag on Dak (assuming that his contract really does end this year) to see how he responds to new coaching?

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'm done with Dak as the unquestioned QB of this team. Need to bring in competition and a fresh coaching staff that doesn't stink of the recent offensive ineptitude. Offensive upgrades would be nice, too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There is nothing more easier for a defensive player to pin your ears back and rush knowing that their target is going to be stationary corpse. Making Dak into a pocket passer is just dumb.

Exactly, and having your QB be a sitting duck in this day in age is absolutely STUPID! Defences are FAR too complex and athletic to let him sit there. He has to be able to move about, and Dak's great at that.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
When was the last time Cam or Russell Wilson got hurt? They are similar players like Dak.

I don't buy this BS about Dak not being able to read defenses. Maybe our playcalling is so bad that the defense already know what were going to do. Thus no one is open. You have Dak throwing into coverage.

Exactly, you nailed it. Some just can't understand.

:hammer:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly, and having your QB be a sitting duck in this day in age is absolutely STUPID! Defences are FAR too complex and athletic to let him sit there. He has to be able to move about, and Dak's great at that.

In fact, I've got another point to make. I see a lot of people on here bragging on Carson Wentz. The PROBLEM is that Wentz RUNS once in a while. THAT is a big part of his game. He uses his LEGS to help get people open, and defences KNOW that he's capable of running. Garrett would STRIP that away from him! Those of you that wanted Wentz over Dak, are you SURE that you want Wentz here with Garrett at the helm?