Garrett’s reaction to the Kellen Moore hype

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Injuries, offensive coordinators, lunar eclipses they're all to blame but not JG.

Of course Garrett is to blame - that wasn't my point. My point was that it's a two way street. You can't reasonably be ready to blame a person for making a move that doesn't work out without also being willing to give him at least some credit if it does.

kskboys

Reaction score
Like what? I have never seen any kind of brilliance from Garrett in play calling or scheme. Its an old scheme, simple scheme...………"takes what the defense give you" has been his mantra.
Garrett hasn't called plays since 2012, so I doubt if my old bum can remember individual plays. I do remember there were times when the scheme would get someone wide open or create a huge hole for the RB. Not often, no, but it did happen at times.

kskboys

Reaction score
They are now. Wait until the results come in.
That's the plan, yes.

It's not that people are on board w/ Moore, it's that people are on board w/ a change from a completely horrific OC. And don't forget the possible effect of Kitna. Dak has not been developed. From what I can gather from the news coming out of training camp, Dak is now being actually taught stuff for the first time in his NFL career. That's my take on it.

So, right now I am giddy w/ expectation, yes. I seriously don't see how you can NOT be. We have a shot at finally taking the next step and becoming a contender. No, we won't know until the season, but it appears that things are looking brighter than they have in years.

_sturt_

Reaction score
So, if Moore succeeds Garrett gets no credit, but if Moore fails, Garrett gets all the blame …

I don't know why you're missing this just based on what I've said in this thread, but in case it's my fault, let me just say unequivocally... I disagree with the inherent premise of your statement.

It's not Moore's offense. It's not.

It's well-established now, not just hinted at, that the system has changed... from one where the HC essentially considered the OC to be in charge of everything, and more of an offensive director than an offensive coordinator, vis-a-vis under Linehan... to one where the OC really is a coordinator, leading the offensive discussions, but very much collaborating with the other assistants, and within the guidance of what the HC has established he wants to see.

That's ALL made clear... crystal... in how Garrett answered these questions...

... none of which should be at all surprising for anyone paying attention and competent to connect the dots that were already there based on what had been said even before the KM hiring was made official (!).

And as said in another thread citing this, don't miss that when Garrett uses the word "you" throughout his response to that second question, at the end he indicates that's (paraphrase) "all things 'you' do every year in all phases of the game.".... so, who else can be "you" in those words, than himself?... he's speaking of himself in second person.

So, it's Garrett's offense.

If it succeeds, it's on him. If it fails, it's on him.

Moore may help him succeed. Moore may help him fail.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why you're missing this just based on what I've said in this thread, but in case it's my fault, let me just say unequivocally... I disagree with the inherent premise of your statement.

It's not Moore's offense. It's not.

It's well-established now, not just hinted at, that the system has changed... from one where the HC essentially considered the OC to be in charge of everything, and more of an offensive director than an offensive coordinator, vis-a-vis under Linehan... to one where the OC really is a coordinator, leading the offensive discussions, but very much collaborating with the other assistants, and within the guidance of what the HC has established he wants to see.

That's ALL made clear... crystal... in how Garrett answered these questions...

... none of which should be at all surprising for anyone paying attention and competent to connect the dots that were already there based on what had been said even before the KM hiring was made official (!).

And as said in another thread citing this, don't miss that when Garrett uses the word "you" throughout his response to that second question, at the end he indicates that's (paraphrase) "all things 'you' do every year in all phases of the game.".... so, who else can be "you" in those words, than himself?... he's speaking of himself in second person.

So, it's Garrett's offense.

If it succeeds, it's on him. If it fails, it's on him.

Moore may help him succeed. Moore may help him fail.

So, if it's entirely Garrett's offense, then why did you say Moore should get the credit if the offense improves, and why did you say you want to make sure Garrett doesn't get any credit if the offense improves?

_sturt_

Reaction score
So, if it's entirely Garrett's offense, then why did you say Moore should get the credit if the offense improves, and why did you say you want to make sure Garrett doesn't get any credit if the offense improves?

You'll need to show me the quotes, my friend. If I misrepresented what I meant somehow... bad editing happens sometimes to the best/worst of us... then I'll say as much and apologize.

Please do. I'm not sure what I said to lead you to that conclusion.

erod

Reaction score
Moore is not reinventing football, unlike many on this board like to think.

I do like that he's a football junkie who seems wired for this position. I think he'll be good sooner because of it.

But he's still dealing with the limitations of his personnel, just like any offensive coordinator.

He's got some toys to work with, so we'll see.

But he can't solve the red zone issues or 3rd-and-long if Dak doesn't significantly improve his game. Period.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So this raises some key questions:
1. Is this Garrett’s message to Kellen Moore or to fans and the media?
2. Why is Garrett so intent on saying publicly that this is still “his offense”?
3. Is Garrett feeling threatened by the presence of Kellen Moore and if so, why?

So far this offseason, the biggest question going into the 2019 season seems to be centered on how much change and new ideas Garrett will allow young Kellen Moore to inject. And...is Garrett feeling threatened?

I doubt he's feeling threatened. I think he truly believes if the team just executes his offensive scheme better, it will be great. Therefore the focus is on execution because he's blind to the fact that we no longer have a team stacked with talent like we did in the 1990s. Execution is going to break down or not be enough when you have an underweight rookie starting at left guard, when your tight end position doesn't have a Jay Novacek or prime Jason Witten, etc.

Not understanding that execution alone isn't enough is Garrett's delusion that leads him to believing his offensive philosophy doesn't need adjustments that create advantages for the players we do have.

Dre11

Reaction score
“But of course Bob finds something to turn negative.” LOL.
Just my opinion Dre but I didn’t see Kevin Sherrington’s article nor my OP to be negative at all. It just asks some interesting questions.

That's bs bob, your posts are mostly negative. Sherrington articles are normally click bait. He somehow twisted Garrett saying it is a collaborative effort on offense ,("this week" )as some sneaky message from Garrett so that Moore doesn't get credit. You bought into it and posted it as such.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

If this offense becomes dynamic, then they both deserve credit: Garrett for the underlying scheme and Moore for the alterations he was allowed to make to it. If the offense doesn't look any different than it did last year or eight years ago under Garrett, then it would be hard to blame Moore for that, just like Linehan is getting more blame than he probably deserves.

Maybe Linehan didn't want more movement on offense. Maybe he didn't want to stack receivers or run rub routes. Maybe it was his choice to use a good pass-catching fullback only as a lead blocker, not run draws much, not make good use of play-action, etc. But those things were also there when Garrett was running the offense. About the only thing that Linehan really changed was relying more on the running game, but that change was going to happen no matter who was the coordinator because the Joneses wanted it. Were the tendencies that came with that Linehan's, Garrett's or a command from above?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the plan, yes.

It's not that people are on board w/ Moore, it's that people are on board w/ a change from a completely horrific OC. And don't forget the possible effect of Kitna. Dak has not been developed. From what I can gather from the news coming out of training camp, Dak is now being actually taught stuff for the first time in his NFL career. That's my take on it.

So, right now I am giddy w/ expectation, yes. I seriously don't see how you can NOT be. We have a shot at finally taking the next step and becoming a contender. No, we won't know until the season, but it appears that things are looking brighter than they have in years.
I’ve seen no indication since Moore’s announcement things are looking brighter than they have in years. I think it’s naive to believe Dak wasn’t taught anything his first three years. Possibly there are other issues that has deterred his development like his skill set.

IMO fans are simply looking for anything to support their optimistic views. I’m waiting before drawing any assumptions.

I think some fans need hope to get excited about upcoming season. I don’t need anything to get ready for the season. As I’ve always said off season, Draft, Mini and Training Camps, etc is a time for renewed optimism. Reality doesn’t begin until after Labor Day.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's bs bob, your posts are mostly negative. Sherrington articles are normally click bait. He somehow twisted Garrett saying it is a collaborative effort on offense ,("this week" )as some sneaky message from Garrett so that Moore doesn't get credit. You bought into it and posted it as such.
No they're not. Bob is one of the few who tries to see it the way it is, he calls it as he sees it and lets the chips fall where they may. He doesn't hide from the truth.

That was a very bad personal analysis.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’ve seen no indication since Moore’s announcement things are looking brighter than they have in years.

IMO fans are simply looking for anything to support their optimistic views. Where’s I’m waiting before drawing any assumptions.

I think some fans need hope to get excited about upcoming season. I don’t need anything to get ready for the season. As I’ve always said off season, Draft, Mini and Training Camps, etc is a time for renewed optimism. Reality doesn’t begin until after Labor Day.
Of course not. We haven't had the chance to see them play yet. Why would you think there would be indications?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You'll need to show me the quotes, my friend. If I misrepresented what I meant somehow... bad editing happens sometimes to the best/worst of us... then I'll say as much and apologize.

Please do. I'm not sure what I said to lead you to that conclusion.

Looking back I may have misread what you were saying. You wrote the comments I attributed to you, but I now believe you were referring to the thoughts of the rabidly anti-Garrett fans who may not view things as reasonably as they should. I think what threw me was when you wrote "fortunately this is an easy sell", which I took as support for that thinking, but I believe you probably meant "fortunately for them" rather than you actually thinking yourself it was fortunate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Moore is not reinventing football, unlike many on this board like to think.

I do like that he's a football junkie who seems wired for this position. I think he'll be good sooner because of it.

But he's still dealing with the limitations of his personnel, just like any offensive coordinator.

He's got some toys to work with, so we'll see.

But he can't solve the red zone issues or 3rd-and-long if Dak doesn't significantly improve his game. Period.
Yea, I’m not sure why fans are getting giddy about the least experienced OC in the league to make this big impact or splash with this QB?

I think it’s more of those who blamed our prior coaching for all of our offenses and QB woes just hoping this one will be better when it actually could be worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea as usual coaching gets blamed for the bad but no credit for the good. Most likely our play calling was limited because of our QB skill set.