News: Garrett chimes in on Dez's involvement in the offense

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't be serious.

I thought the same thing when I read your first post in the thread. I had no problem with Dak's pass distribution yesterday. I thought he did a nice job, overall.

Plankton

Reaction score
Taking what the opponent offers up is not a winning strategy.

It works to keep games close as you are taking the easy yards and opportunities.

But it is not a way that can help you close out a football game.

Were we "giving" the run to the Giants yesterday? Seems to me that they went out and took it.

It is no wonder the man is basically a .500 coach at best.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just doesn't work out. {shoulder shrug}

Check the video at the 2:27 mark. But, hey, it sounds good, right?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Nick E said something today I've been saying for years. Why do we not run slants to Dez? He seems like the perfect receiver for slants.

sbark

Reaction score
He did incriminate himself.

Telling the world that you couldn't get the ball in the hands of your superstar receiver because you only would take what the defense gave you says it all.

YR
problem is..........his offensive Coor (Linehan) never ever seemed to have any problems getting the ball to Calvin Johnson..........with QB's no better, many times worse than rookie Prescott............

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I read your first post in the thread. I had no problem with Dak's pass distribution yesterday. I thought he did a nice job, overall.

It's not about pass distribution. No one said Prescott should force the ball into Bryant, especially if Garrett continues to use him as he does.

But why does Atlanta move Julio Jones around? Inside, outside, in motion, etc?

Because it makes it tougher to defend him. By moving him around they can sometimes work favorable match ups.

Garrett makes it easy to defend Bryant because he uses him certain ways. The fact you can't see that just shows how far into the tank you are for Garrett.

Mediocre head coach. Plain and simple.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's not remotely what I said.

In the context of this thread that's pretty much what it sounds like. Garrett just admitted that they don't devise a game plan that will take advantage of Bryant. That they run the plays they run for him and if a team takes that away, oh well.

So if you aren't giving him a pass what are you doing?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nick E said something today I've been saying for years. Why do we not run slants to Dez? He seems like the perfect receiver for slants.
Garrett has not gotten around to installing that part of the playbook yet.

Jeez, you people are so dam inpatient!!!!

You cannot install a full playbook in just 6 years, you just cant do it.

What do you people want next, a win without Romo? That is just being ridiculous, nobody in the league can win a game without their starter.

Every team in the league would go 1-13 without their starter..........................oh wait?????

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Taking what the defense gives you is a loser's mentality. If that is how you coach your team for this long, then do us a favor and quit. So maddening this is the mentality of a head coach in the NFL. How about you use your weapons and force the defense into doing stuff they don't want to do and adjust to us? We have not did that in years. Frustrating our gameplan is to only do what the defense allows us.

So pathetic. How anyone can defend this clown still is beyond me.

Ken

Reaction score
That is the entire problem, nobody's job is on the line here.

Seriously, if Garrett was with any other team he would have been fired by now. Coughlin has superbowl rings and all it took was 3 consecutive non playoff seasons before he was shown the door. Garrett is in year 6 and he has just 1 season above 500.

Can anybody name me one head coach currently in the league that has missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons and still has his job?
Jeff Fisher is working on 5 straight with no winning seasons.

The Natural

Reaction score
problem is..........his offensive Coor (Linehan) never ever seemed to have any problems getting the ball to Calvin Johnson..........with QB's no better, many times worse than rookie Prescott............

From CJ's big game against us

:18 5 yard slant Calvin takes for 90 yards

:34 5 yard slant for TD

2:24 5 yard square in to get to the 1 yard line

2:55 insane jump ball for a long completion

3:45 looks like another square in route for 17 yards

3:58 lines up in the slot, runs a seam route for 20 yards

Anyone care to pull up Dez routes from yesterday? I've never seen a more incompetent head coach

superonyx

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with it, either. If he were catching more balls, that would be one thing. But 1 catch off of 5 targets...and those were the good looks. You guys really want your rookie QB to force throws in to Dez when there are other options? I don't think so.

We scored on, what, all of the first 4 or five possessions right? Our problem was with drops in the red zone more than anything else, anyway. Dez is a great target in there, but we have other options to go to, as well. If we just make the plays that were there to be made, we with the game. I don't see the point of second guessing and assuming the extra targets are goign to somehow be more productive than the ones he already got.
I can't speak for everyone. But for me I don't want Dak forcing the ball to Dez if he is covered. Saying Dez needs to be more involved with the offense means they need to find plays and formations where it's not so simple to double Dez. If this means lining him up in the slot for a handful of plays while Butler takes his WR spot then do it. If it means putting DEz in motion constantly then do it....
What we are tired of watching is this "take what they give us" strategy. You don't win taking what they give you because everyone is too good and what they will give you is a steaming pile of crap. When you have the talent on offense that we have you need to use your weapons to force the defense to not control your play calling. Watch a team like the saints or Steelers. These teams are not more talented than we are yet they don't sit back and wait for the defenses to tell them what they are allowed to have. They go take it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I am pretty convinced that since Garrett cut his teeth with one of the best teams of all time, he thinks that all teams can do that.

Well, you cannot wait around in this league for elite talent. Sometimes, you take what you have and roll.

I doubt he could do more than break even with an All-Pro squad.

sbark

Reaction score
From CJ's big game against us

:18 5 yard slant Calvin takes for 90 yards

:34 5 yard slant for TD

2:24 5 yard square in to get to the 1 yard line

2:55 insane jump ball for a long completion

3:45 looks like another square in route for 17 yards

3:58 lines up in the slot, runs a seam route for 20 yards

Anyone care to pull up Dez routes from yesterday? I've never seen a more incompetent head coach

Garrett was content to have the sideline on one side of Dez...........and 1 or 2 defenders on the other side all day.........Garrett thinks moving Dez "around" ......apparently is from one side of the field to the other............but always letting the D use the sideline as a extra defender on him

sbark

Reaction score
I am pretty convinced that since Garrett cut his teeth with one of the best teams of all time, he thinks that all teams can do that.

Well, you cannot wait around in this league for elite talent. Sometimes, you take what you have and roll.

I doubt he could do more than break even with an All-Pro squad.

So........as per JJ........Garrett isn't "one of 500" coaches that could win a Superbowl with the 90s team? ;)

superonyx

Reaction score
I guess there's some validity to the idea that you shouldn't force more balls to Dez when the balls you've given to him haven't been so successful. But then by that same token, couldn't you say you shouldn't keep Zeke in when he wasn't working as well as Morris?
I get your point but....we shouldn't be running the same play with Zeke when the Giants put a Great Wall in front of him consistently. It's not about Zeke vs Morris. Either guy would be more effective if our coaches called plays and formations that made the defense pay for collapsing the middle the way they were. Instead we just kept running into it expecting different results.

Yesterday's game is what JG is as a coach. He gets out coached more than any coach in this league. Without Romo JG would have been ran out of this league a long time ago.
Everyone is too good to line up and just expect to beat your man. While your lining up trying to beat your man the opposing team is scheming to put their players into positions to beat you with mismatches.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yes, they need to get him the ball, but it would be nice if he could get separation. He can't.

Norman will probably own him next week again like he did last year.
Who didn't Norman own last year?
Who is getting separation from a double?
Dez has never been a speed player. But 1 on 1 almost no one can make a living covering him. He is too physical and once the ball is in his hands he is too hard to tackle. There is a reason teams still double him like they do. Do you think it's because he can't get separation?