Recommended Garrett COTY

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Last edited:

Trendnet

Reaction score
Marty was criticized for running the ball too much. People are mad at Garrett for not running it more. I think the fans are then new Schottenheimer.

Fans want a power running offense that goes between the tackles with pitchouts; and with a quick timing throwing offense that attack the middle of the sidelines with lots of deep throws to back the safeties off so the power offense can run the ball. You know balance. Kind of a 70% passing with 85% running with lots of trick plays with creative design with the WR running a pick play picking up the run blocking then breaking free deep down the middle while attacking the sidelines. You know, like Atlanta does.

Venger

Reaction score
But then went full-Garrett in the playoffs. But moral victories!

75363564.jpg

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Fans want a power running offense that goes between the tackles with pitchouts; and with a quick timing throwing offense that attack the middle of the sidelines with lots of deep throws to back the safeties off so the power offense can run the ball. You know balance. Kind of a 70% passing with 85% running with lots of trick plays with creative design with the WR running a pick play picking up the run blocking then breaking free deep down the middle while attacking the sidelines. You know, like Atlanta does.

Is this tongue in cheek? I think you are but am not sure.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...fensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

We ran the ball 499 times and passed the ball 487 times. It was a 51-49 split. Your percentages total to 155% which is nonsensical.

We run middle power isoes behind 70 and 72 ad nauseum. We ran the pitch, outside stretch and off tackle. We run both ZBS and gap calls for one of the more dynamic rushing attacks in modern NFL history. Keith Smith has turned into an asset for the man scheme which relies on a dynamic blocker to clean things up. I really like how he digs LB out of the hole and blows up DBs.

We run tons of playaction. We ran some trick plays. Linehan does attack the sideline with flies, outs, and comebacks. Linehan does attack the middle of the field with ins, drags, and posts. Nevermind what Witten and Beasley do. they do inside out stuff to with flags and outs ad nauseum.

I actually love how he adjusts the depths of the same routes to attack different coverages depending on how the defense is playing them. if the DC is having his corners drop/ bail to 8 yards he runs breaks at 5 and 12 yards right at them. Dak is excellent at reading those.

As for the deep throw, that is not all on Linehan. We ran plenty of go's and posts. I was critical of Dak all season for not throwing to them even when wide open. Dak was reluctant to throw them and given some of the throws he did make into double coverage it lends to the idea that he struggled to read downfield. I'm not worried about it because Dak was a rookie and reading defenses is something young QBs get better at with experience.

rkell87

Reaction score
That's cool and all, and not surprising but I still pretty much wish he was head planning and preparation coach and someone else handled head game day coach duties

Trendnet

Reaction score
Is this tongue in cheek? I think you are but am not sure.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...fensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

We ran the ball 499 times and passed the ball 487 times. It was a 51-49 split. Your percentages total to 155% which is nonsensical.

We run middle power isoes behind 70 and 72 ad nauseum. We ran the pitch, outside stretch and off tackle. We run both ZBS and gap calls for one of the more dynamic rushing attacks in modern NFL history. Keith Smith has turned into an asset for the man scheme which relies on a dynamic blocker to clean things up. I really like how he digs LB out of the hole and blows up DBs.

We run tons of playaction. We ran some trick plays. Linehan does attack the sideline with flies, outs, and comebacks. Linehan does attack the middle of the field with ins, drags, and posts. Nevermind what Witten and Beasley do. they do inside out stuff to with flags and outs ad nauseum.

I actually love how he adjusts the depths of the same routes to attack different coverages depending on how the defense is playing them. if the DC is having his corners drop/ bail to 8 yards he runs breaks at 5 and 12 yards right at them. Dak is excellent at reading those.

As for the deep throw, that is not all on Linehan. We ran plenty of go's and posts. I was critical of Dak all season for not throwing to them even when wide open. Dak was reluctant to throw them and given some of the throws he did make into double coverage it lends to the idea that he struggled to read downfield. I'm not worried about it because Dak was a rookie and reading defenses is something young QBs get better at with experience.

Totally tongue in cheek :)

I see the same people complain about the "scheme" of Garrett/Linehan offense so much... that in different posts they completely contradict their original complaint without realizing it.

I like our offense, and don't think it's a problem at all with this team.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
sure are a lot of awards giving out to a team that went one and done. I guess the regular season was great but garrett did a terrible job of coaching in the playoffs.
Well, these are all regular season awards, so your complaint actually is kinda dumb.

Zman5

Reaction score
Marty was criticized for running the ball too much. People are mad at Garrett for not running it more. I think the fans are then new Schottenheimer.

LOL. Do you think I'm comparing how much they ran the ball?
People criticized him for not winning any big playoff games. He was good regular season coach. A choker in the playoffs.

People blamed Romo for not being able to win the big one calling him the choker. Well, Romo didn't play this year. If Dak doesn't win any big playoff games, will it again be Dak who gets blamed?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
LOL. Do you think I'm comparing how much they ran the ball?
People criticized him for not winning any big playoff games. He was good regular season coach. A choker in the playoffs.

People blamed Romo for not being able to win the big one calling him the choker. Well, Romo didn't play this year. If Dak doesn't win any big playoff games, will it again be Dak who gets blamed?

I guess I was just imagining all the times I heard Martyball being used derisively when he was with the Chiefs.

That was the entire argument: Marty was a regular season coach that could not win in the playoffs because he was mindlessly conservative and could not generate enough points against good teams in the playoffs when he would run the ball ad nauseum.

Thing is that he did get all way to the AFCCG and nearly won it with the Browns. Earnest Byners fumble and all that.

When Montana went to the Chiefs they went to the AFCCG again.

You are regurgitating media narratives and not doing a very sensible job of it.

Schottenheimers biggest issue is he struggled to develop QBs. Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac were not very good. When he had Kosar and Montana he went deep into the playoffs. Given that Garrett just developed Dak, he doesn't have that issue.

Zman5

Reaction score
I guess I was just imagining all the times I heard Martyball being used derisively when he was with the Chiefs.

That was the entire argument: Marty was a regular season coach that could not win in the playoffs because he was mindlessly conservative and could not generate enough points against good teams in the playoffs when he would run the ball ad nauseum.

Thing is that he did get all way to the AFCCG and nearly won it with the Browns. Earnest Byners fumble and all that.

When Montana went to the Chiefs they went to the AFCCG again.

You are regurgitating media narratives and not doing a very sensible job of it.

Schottenheimers biggest issue is he struggled to develop QBs. Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac were not very good. When he had Kosar and Montana he went deep into the playoffs. Given that Garrett just developed Dak, he doesn't have that issue.

There are many reasons why certain coaches can't win consistently in the playoffs. Marty was able to build good defenses. Something JG isn't able to do. Just because JG can do something Marty couldn't do guarantee JG will be succeed.

Bottom line is, JG needs to win more big playoff games. He's been a HC for 7 years and has been with the organization for 10 years as a coach. He only has one playoff victory as a HC. That's pathetic considering what some coaches are able to do in shorter period of time.

Coy

Reaction score
When Linehan stood on the table for Dak, Garrett could have kept saying no. Eventually he said yes, so...

COTY.

If he had said NO maybe we would be playing today, guess we'll never know.
Saying that, he did deserve the COTY, he had an awsome regular season.

visionary

Reaction score
How do you have your QB have the best rookie season by a QB by far, have the best RB in football and gave the best OL in football and still lose your first playoff game to a team that is decimated by injuries on both offense and defense and had to travel to your place after playing the week before?

Easy, just have the COTY coach your team

lukin2006

Reaction score
I guess going from 4-12 to 13-3 would make you coach of the year, I'm no JG fan...Under him, this team falters in December and January, with the exception of 2014, and even then that GB playoff game in 2014 was winnable, so for me next year should be the year he either takes this talented roster deep in the playoffs (barring a rash of injuries) or we will face another off-season of uncertainty, and may be wasting a young talented roster because of our coaching staff.