Garrett Got Outcoached

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but NO ate up the clock. That accounts for something.
:omg:
Maybe, but that's really not that much of a benefit for a team that is behind much of the game, as the Saints were. For all they could tell they were eating up the time they needed themselves to catch up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett gets out coached most every game.
Clearly the Cowboys coaching was not strong in this game, but I'm still confused how the Saints scoring 12 amounts to a dramatically better coaching effort than the Cowboys scoring 10. Factor in that the Saints only scored 10 against us last year (with Brees playing), and that's only 11 points per game the Saints have averaged, while the Cowboys have averaged 11.5 ppg. That pretty much appears to be a draw.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
They went into conservative mode which was aggravating. "We are playing a better opponent, its a tough environment, lets make it a 4th quarter game." That game with the Saints in backup qb mode, screamed aggressive approach, seize a lead, and make Teddy B have to make plays.

I'm not of fan of the Jones boys, but they should be asking difficult questions of their offensive coaches after that game plan.

Shane612

Reaction score
Maybe, but that's really not that much of a benefit for a team that is behind much of the game, as the Saints were. For all they could tell they were eating up the time they needed themselves to catch up.

NO was up in the first half. And only down by 1 in the second half. Then, they "nickle and dimed" the Cowboys' defense much of the second half until they took the lead. They ate up the clock.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Garrett is constantly outcoached. Does anyone remember him losing to a couple of rookie coaches a few season ago? Can anyone remember the announcers or analysts said "Jason Garrett out-coached_________" ? If anyone have heard that, please inform me.
Garrett is above 500 as a head coach. If you are going to say that he was out-coached because he lost, then you have to say when he wins its because he out-coached the other coach. I am not saying I disagree that he was out-coached, but I am tired of the lazy take that he was out-coached every time we lose, but doesn't get any credit when we win. This must be the most amazing team ever with God-like abilities if we keep winning despite a "terrible head coach", "overrated QB" and "terrible Owner/GM"

Or.......

Maybe we aren't nearly as bad at the three most important positions to a winning organization as the perception around here is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO was up in the first half. And only down by 1 in the second half. Then, they "nickle and dimed" the Cowboys' defense much of the second half until they took the lead. They ate up the clock.
But they didn't know they were going to be ahead in the 4th quarter, nor did they know that the Cowboys wouldn't score to extend their lead. I just think they were taking advantage of their weapons - Kamara running and Thomas catching short passes - to provide some offense in the absence of having Brees available to carry the team with his arm.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

Less possessions benefits the underdog because one possession can end the game. The better team should want more possessions to reduce variance. Cowboys strategy played into the Saints hands.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Less possessions benefits the underdog because one possession can end the game. The better team should want more possessions to reduce variance. Cowboys strategy played into the Saints hands.
Fair point, although I'm not sure the Cowboys strategy really played into it because the Cowboys went largely with the run and short passing games, which normally would result in a lot of time of possession on the Cowboy side. They just failed to execute on those, and hurt themselves with penalties and fumbles.

JMech

Reaction score
Same teams, head coaches, and similar rosters last year... we were at home and beat the Saints.

Did he have them prepared that game?

Team was prepared, but do you have confidence that he contributed to their readiness? No, neither do I.

JMech

Reaction score
anytime we lose, the fans scream that the team wasn't ready. so expectations are we should go 16-0....is that reasonable? we lost a close game, on the road to a good team.

and last year we beat this same team at home in a close game, yet garrett didn't get credit...

sounds like double standard.

btw, one of garrett's traits, even from his detractors is that his team play hard for him and never quit and he always has the locker room.

I don't think you really read my earlier reply. No, it is not reasonable to expect 16-0. Do coaches such as Belichek and other top tier coaches have their teams prepared the majority of times to be ready to play as a team? Yes, but Garrett does not.

Garrett's traits? According to who? Come on, if you buy that story I have a bridge for you. Who the hell speaks out about their coach other than the most difficult of players?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Fair point, although I'm not sure the Cowboys strategy really played into it because the Cowboys went largely with the run and short passing games, which normally would result in a lot of time of possession on the Cowboy side. They just failed to execute on those, and hurt themselves with penalties and fumbles.

Time of possession isn't nearly as important for this team as it once was. Winning time of possession was more about hiding a bad defense. Cowboys should have been trying to get a big lead and force Bridgewater out his comfort zone. It honestly seems like the Saints trusted Bridgewater more than the Cowboys trusted Dak.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Garrett is above 500 as a head coach. If you are going to say that he was out-coached because he lost, then you have to say when he wins its because he out-coached the other coach. I am not saying I disagree that he was out-coached, but I am tired of the lazy take that he was out-coached every time we lose, but doesn't get any credit when we win. This must be the most amazing team ever with God-like abilities if we keep winning despite a "terrible head coach", "overrated QB" and "terrible Owner/GM"

Or.......

Maybe we aren't nearly as bad at the three most important positions to a winning organization as the perception around here is.

Ok. Point understood.

Shane612

Reaction score
But they didn't know they were going to be ahead in the 4th quarter, nor did they know that the Cowboys wouldn't score to extend their lead. I just think they were taking advantage of their weapons - Kamara running and Thomas catching short passes - to provide some offense in the absence of having Brees available to carry the team with his arm.
Neither knows the outcome. Or, what will happen during the game.
All I know is NO frustrated the hell out of the cowboys, and gave them very few possessions. NO ate up the clock.
I bet the time of possession was even more lopsided for the second half.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Time of possession isn't nearly as important for this team as it once was. Winning time of possession was more about hiding a bad defense. Cowboys should have been trying to get a big lead and force Bridgewater out his comfort zone. It honestly seems like the Saints trusted Bridgewater more than the Cowboys trusted Dak.
I think the Cowboys went into the more conservative mode because of the pressure the Saints were putting on Dak. They were trying to get the ball out of his hands quickly. And, of course, they will always try and get the running game going, as they should with Zeke.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys went into the more conservative mode because of the pressure the Saints were putting on Dak. They were trying to get the ball out of his hands quickly. And, of course, they will always try and get the running game going, as they should with Zeke.

Running Zeke into the teeth of the defense is a horrible strategy that i thought they got away from but apparently not

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Running Zeke into the teeth of the defense is a horrible strategy that i thought they got away from but apparently not
Zeke is always going to run a lot between the tackles. And he should. That's been a successful model, and really no running game can be successful running wide most of the time. That would result in a lot of plays that lose yardage. Plus, Frederick and Martin are considered the best run blockers on the team.

That said, I agree they should have tried some different things this game, because clearly the Saints were playing the interior runs very well

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Zeke is always going to run a lot between the tackles. And he should. That's been a successful model, and really no running game can be successful running wide most of the time. That would result in a lot of plays that lose yardage. Plus, Frederick and Martin are considered the best run blockers on the team.

That said, I agree they should have tried some different things this game, because clearly the Saints were playing the interior runs very well

You can still run up the middle but have a threat going to the edge to loosen things horizontally. I'm not saying don't run up the middle at all.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
garrett pretty much gets out coached in all the big games that has been standard around here for several years now

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
garrett pretty much gets out coached in all the big games that has been standard around here for several years now
I've asked a question several times when I've read these comments, and nobody has even tried to respond. So I'm going to quote something I posted earlier and see if you have a response.

Not defending Garrett, because I agree he has deficiencies, but I keep wondering how 12 points by the Saints against the Cowboys this year, and 10 last by the Saints against the Cowboys last year, points to such a dramatic display of superior coaching. 2 games, both low scoring with limited offense, with the Cowboys winning one and the Saints winning one … that seems to be pretty much a draw.