Garrett Got Outcoached

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We hear a lot about the Saints having a "backup" quarterback, like that should automatically lead to a Cowboys win.

But Bridgewater had 29 NFL starts before Brees got hurt, he's hardly some green rookie, put your "backup" quarterback in a game with Kamara and Thomas and a mostly veteran o-line and you're not facing a poor team.

It's early, yes we're all ticked off the Cowboys didn't go to 4-0 (even more for fans like me in Saintsland), but at the very least we still have a one game lead in the division and time to improve. Think we've stewed over and griped about the loss enough already, let's move on...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Team was prepared, but do you have confidence that he contributed to their readiness? No, neither do I.

If you listen to the people he leads— they love him and want to play and fight for him. Tells you a lot if you think about it

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't think you really read my earlier reply. No, it is not reasonable to expect 16-0. Do coaches such as Belichek and other top tier coaches have their teams prepared the majority of times to be ready to play as a team? Yes, but Garrett does not.

Garrett's traits? According to who? Come on, if you buy that story I have a bridge for you. Who the hell speaks out about their coach other than the most difficult of players?
why do you say we weren't prepared for the saints game? everyone is post the fact arm chair QB. did you expect a blow out and 30 point plus in every game? Was the Witten fumble part of the plan and what did that cause in a close game? how about the zeke fumble on 4th and one? yeah yeah yeah, I hear people claiming it wasn't a fumble, but he should have protected the ball so there would never be a question. What about Dak missing a wide open Cobb in the end zone. instead of 7 they got 3. did they plan for OL to play so awfully!!! the Saints DTs spend more time in our backfield than our OL!!!! Did the coaches tell Amari to do the PI's? was that part of the game plan? all of those mistakes cost us....probably at least 10 pointspeople complain that we didn't run play action, well, we did and they weren't biting except for one play or two... we lost by 2 on the road to a team that was in NFCCG last year losing on a controversial call in over time. the defense was ready, they gave up 12 points.....no TDs.....

come on...just say that you are upset about the loss. you want to place blame and the easiest place to put it is on garrett. and be done with it....

also don't forget the wonder pizza boy is going to get schooled as he is a 2nd year coach and first as OC....did you expected him to dominate experienced NFL coaches week in week out?

this was

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bottom line: The game plan sucked.

Dumb logic, but I think we let the fact that Teddy Bridgewater was their QB affect our offensive game plan.

I bet we would’ve opened up the playbook more had Brees been playing.
I think more than the game plan, the execution sucked. when you can't execute any part of the plan, then the plan goes out the door. what really sucked was in game adjustments....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Calling plays for Garrett's playbook. Thus Moore is neutered from calling the plays that will win games.

Garrett got outcoached. Him playing it conservative once again lost us this game.
but those same plays got us three big wins this year and people such as yourself were rejoicing!!! hmmmm

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That game has Garrett's finger prints all over it. Playing not to lose rather than trying to win. Calling running plays up the middle with a stacked box is just the dummiest thing to do. But that's typical of a Garrett style offense.
19 runs, 33 passes, but I am sure he designed the play for Witten to Fumble and he instructed Cooper all week to push off and get PIs and told Dak its ok to miss a wide open Cobb in the end zone.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The play he posted is from the Saints game....
see sturm's article where he clearly outlined why Saints weren't falling for play action....one play here or there, but it wasn't working. its not 100% this or 100% that....when you average 1.9 yards per carry, I don't fear the run, I will focus on stopping the pass.

LittleD

Reaction score
we had the #2, #3 and #6 offense when he was OC under Wade....hmmmm

Several trips to the post season and usually one and done. Belicheat he isn't. The Colts & Rams & now the Saints have shown the way for good coaching staffs to beat
Garrett and his stale, outdated offense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Several trips to the post season and usually one and done. Belicheat he isn't. The Colts & Rams & now the Saints have shown the way for good coaching staffs to beat
Garrett and his stale, outdated offense.
I don't disagree....his achilles heel has been the post season success.

JMech

Reaction score
why do you say we weren't prepared for the saints game? everyone is post the fact arm chair QB. did you expect a blow out and 30 point plus in every game? Was the Witten fumble part of the plan and what did that cause in a close game? how about the zeke fumble on 4th and one? yeah yeah yeah, I hear people claiming it wasn't a fumble, but he should have protected the ball so there would never be a question. What about Dak missing a wide open Cobb in the end zone. instead of 7 they got 3. did they plan for OL to play so awfully!!! the Saints DTs spend more time in our backfield than our OL!!!! Did the coaches tell Amari to do the PI's? was that part of the game plan? all of those mistakes cost us....probably at least 10 pointspeople complain that we didn't run play action, well, we did and they weren't biting except for one play or two... we lost by 2 on the road to a team that was in NFCCG last year losing on a controversial call in over time. the defense was ready, they gave up 12 points.....no TDs.....

come on...just say that you are upset about the loss. you want to place blame and the easiest place to put it is on garrett. and be done with it....

also don't forget the wonder pizza boy is going to get schooled as he is a 2nd year coach and first as OC....did you expected him to dominate experienced NFL coaches week in week out?

this was

All you had to do was watch this team come out to play. They were not ready for an away game with a team that they beat in a bit of an upset last year.

Don't overanalyze individual plays. Look at overall fire and drive. It was lacking. The primary source for that is the HC. He then uses some leadership within the units to multiply the message. There was no message to multiply.

Don't get caught up in stuff........look at the overall picture.

It is what it is. Go back to the original message and read it more carefully.

JMech

Reaction score
If you listen to the people he leads— they love him and want to play and fight for him. Tells you a lot if you think about it

Yes, and the majority of players across the league will say exactly the same about their coach.

Only a minority would run through a wall for them.

Don't believe the media BS, they are paid to say that. Listen to what is said when he is going out the door..........hopefully sooner than later.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yes, and the majority of players across the league will say exactly the same about their coach.

Only a minority would run through a wall for them.

Don't believe the media BS, they are paid to say that. Listen to what is said when he is going out the door..........hopefully sooner than later.

Maybe current players need to be PC about their coach... but former players? I have never heard even former players or former teammates trash Garrett.

Look— I already said I personally would have fired him after 2008– but this blind 100% blame he gets while simultaneously receiving 0% credit is simply not true nor is it fair

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I feel sorry for our players. If they don't figure it out - they are so screwed. It's not a coach on this team I look at and say " this guy is gonna have something this week that'll be a game changer against our opponents". Our players are playing most big games handicapped by our coaches. Especially Dak. Now Dak had been playing lights out with the new offense-so what does our genius coaches go back to? Woody Hayes days. Un friggin believable.

LittleD

Reaction score
Okay guys...all we need is more clapping from our dummy HC and all will be well.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Sean Payton almost cost the Saints the game by calling a pass play on 3rd down that resulted in Jaylon's sack. Garrett did not get out coached. The two fumbles cost us 6 points. Thats the difference.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Great thing about being a Cowboy is that unless your name is Dak, Zeke, or Jeff Heath you never get outplayed, you only get outcoached.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jason Garrett did not get outcoached. Make no mistake about that. We went for it on 4th down. What happened. Turn over. That's what lost this game turnovers