Garrett Got Outcoached

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
#1-- I'm not talking about all teams in all years. I am talking about the 2018 and 2019 Dallas Cowboys, respectively, attempting to gauge the year-to-year status based on two games against the Saints. Last year, the Saints were great, with Drew Brees at the helm. We beat them. This year, the Saints are great again, but now with a backup qb. We should have beat them again. We couldn't. Why is that? Is it because of coaching, or is it because of talent? That is the question.

#2-- How we started last year is of no import to these Dallas Cowboys. How we finished, however, is. Are we better or worse than last year? We beat the Saints last year and lost to them this. That indicates we are definitely worse.

Everyone blamed Linehan, but Garrett is the HC. He's the ultimate decider of what the offense will be, and the offense looked very much like a Garrett play-not-to-lose. The don't blame Garrett shtick is what's old, because when the blame is pretty clearly justified, folks like you are running pathetic interference.

Did Garrett not block the NO DL all night? Did Garrett fumble the ball on two key drives? Did Garrett miss a wide open Cobb in the back of the endzone or on another key third down? No.

The players did not win key matchups throughout the contest— particularly the OL.

Home teams get 3 points for a reason, and in this case, both home teams have won by a FG or less. Our D bottled up and frustrated a HOF QB last year, this year the Saints were able to disrupt our OL and control the LOS from start to finish.

Folks like you look at one game, over react, jump to conclusions about the identity of the team this year, ignore facts, and tout the tired narrative of Garrett sucks. It’s boring.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't blame Garrett. He stands there and watches the game on Sunday just like the rest of us. He does nothing during the games when they win, and does nothing during the games when they lose. I can't criticize him for losses or praise him for wins. The coordinators are very clearly running things on gameday.

LittleD

Reaction score
Jason Garrett did not get outcoached. Make no mistake about that. We went for it on 4th down. What happened. Turn over. That's what lost this game turnovers

Funny how New England doesn't fumble in the clutch. Funny how the Saints stacked the LOS and dared Dak to pass. There's a reason why great teams with
great coaching make it to the SB every year. Dallas isn't one of them and won't be with Garrett at the helm of the Dallas Titanic.

ICP

Reaction score
Even when Dallas wins Garrett usually gets outcoached

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Garrett is constantly outcoached. Does anyone remember him losing to a couple of rookie coaches a few season ago? Can anyone remember the announcers or analysts said "Jason Garrett outcoached_________" ? If anyone have heard that, please inform me.

Ohh a painful reminder of that idiotic game in Denver... rookie HC, AND a 1 or 2 hour delay after getting down and getting your butt handed to ya in the 1st qtr of the game... good grief man I was trying to NOT recall that $h** show!

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Here you go guys figured this might help you out!
HEROIMAGE-copy.jpg

P.S. When your defense holds them to 12 points in there own house and you can only muster 10 points with our offline and Zeke and Coop ya Houston we have a problem and its not the coaching!!!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I see if I tell you how you sound and you don't like it that I should read your dribble or read it and just nor say anything. In other words users can't disagree with you.

Many people disagree with me.I'm absolutely ok with that. But if you don't like what I say you can always ignore me.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You think Garrett doesn't have any influence on the offense?

Jerry even stated that this team got outcoached.

You can say that every time a good team loses the were out coached. We failed to run vs 6 man box. The OL got out coached for sure, they saw the flaw in our blocking scheme and abused it all day. We still had the opportunity to win and probably do if we have 1 less turn over but it shouldn't be that hard to get 3 yards a carry either. maybe colombo wasn't the right coach for the OL after all.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Many people disagree with me.I'm absolutely ok with that. But if you don't like what I say you can always ignore me.

Again you don't want anyone to disagree with you. If anyone makes comments it leaves themselves open for disagreement. Most people don't just ignore things don't agree with.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
You can say that every time a good team loses the were out coached. We failed to run vs 6 man box. The OL got out coached for sure, they saw the flaw in our blocking scheme and abused it all day. We still had the opportunity to win and probably do if we have 1 less turn over but it shouldn't be that hard to get 3 yards a carry either. maybe colombo wasn't the right coach for the OL after all.

Well your pointing out symptoms of a team that has been outcoached. If the other team knows exactly what play your going to run, and your run it, and they keep stopping your over and over, maybe its time to try something different.

Now why would you be blaming Colombo? Since it was possibly Garrett's idea to run it up the middle right at the heart of the defense. Colombo doesn't run the plays - its either Moore and Garrett. Thus your passing the buck once again. Garrett should own up and fess to the lost. Not Dak. Not Moore. But Garrett.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Again you don't want anyone to disagree with you. If anyone makes comments it leaves themselves open for disagreement. Most people don't just ignore things don't agree with.

LOL well your right. I don't want people to disagree with me. But that doesn't mean I'm right and I'm don't think I'm telling those that disagree that they should just ignore me. That is far from the truth.

But to say that I'm wrong and that I shouldn't say what I say that than thats where I hold the line.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well your pointing out symptoms of a team that has been outcoached. If the other team knows exactly what play your going to run, and your run it, and they keep stopping your over and over, maybe its time to try something different.

Now why would you be blaming Colombo? Since it was possibly Garrett's idea to run it up the middle right at the heart of the defense. Colombo doesn't run the plays - its either Moore and Garrett. Thus your passing the buck once again. Garrett should own up and fess to the lost. Not Dak. Not Moore. But Garrett.

Columbo designs the OL blocking scheme.

We used alot of reach blocks but their DL beat us at the point of attack all night. The only thing garrett needs to do is chew his offensive coaches out. Garrett calls 0 plays. And moore moore to adjust enough to how the saints d was playing us. Garrett has a fault and that is letting his coordinators run their side of the ball. It always come down to the hc...and he needs to hold the others accountable and at times take over when needed.he failedto make more adjust properly. But it was still moore who called the plays and showed how green he is in a tough environment.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Thing is you can blame garret. If moore is calling a game thats too conservative its garret's job to tell him to change things. "hey this isn't working lets adjust".

Like previously mentioned, i didn't see any screens, no RPO's and no deep balls. I find it especially concerning we took no deep shots against Eli freaking apple and a saints secondary that had been terrible all season. By the way on 3rd and 2 or less the rollout plays with dak and zeke are nearly unguardable.... yet we sat none of those as well.

If dak is your quarterback of the future you have to trust him in these spots. We have a pretty good defense that has shown it can bail him out if he struggles.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Pure and simple. Him not wanting Dak to throw the ball an rely just on Elliott running the ball was the reason why we lost. The Saints were loading the box. Yet time and again we kept running up the middle.

Moore is not at fault here. This is all on Garrett.

:clap:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

We used alot of reach blocks but their DL beat us at the point of attack all night. The only thing garrett needs to do is chew his offensive coaches out. Garrett calls 0 plays. And moore moore to adjust enough to how the saints d was playing us. Garrett has a fault and that is letting his coordinators run their side of the ball. It always come down to the hc...and he needs to hold the others accountable and at times take over when needed.he failedto make more adjust properly. But it was still moore who called the plays and showed how green he is in a tough environment.

Garrett may not call the plays. But he does set the game plan. And if the plan is to just run the ball up the middle, than so be it. I doubt that what we saw this past Sunday was entirely designed by Moore. But that is reminiscent of how Garrett runs his offense - pretty much plain vanilla.

There is a reason why the Jones's do not want Garrett calling the plays. Thats because he can't. But yet he sets the tone on what plays are to be called. Thus to say that Garrett is not at fault is absolutely wrong. Because Garrett is wrong and at fault for the lost of this game.

cowboyed

Reaction score

This a very much agree with but let's also factor in that this Oline isn't 100% healthy with Zack Martin having back issues, Frederick being not completely healed, and Connor Williams being a bit blocking spastic. I wouldn't mind seeing Looney spell Frederick some against the Packers.