Garrett Got Outcoached

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Because the HC presumably has the authority to override the OC whenever and however he likes.

We don't know if or how much that authority was exercised.
Im not a Garrett at all whatsoever...however theres absolutely nothing credible that indicated Moore was overridden as far as game planning.

Praxit

Reaction score
..well, I sure hope Stephen and Jerry ripped him a new one, if it was his idea to go back to running game. But who know's? It was just weird, as it seemed Linehan was calling the plays.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Mistakes by players caused the loss. The coach did not fumble the ball multiple times, or cause Dak's poor play. Did Zeke look like a $100M bucks last night? How about Cooper? Did our "great" D-Line control the line of scrimmage? How about the O-line?

The constant Garrett bashing on the forum is just tired. The many objective independent experts who judge and rank coaches think far more highly of Garrett than the rabid fans who spend hours bashing him on the message board. Yes, there are better coaches out there. Also better QB's, RB's, WR's etc...

Blame the coach for bad coaching decisions, but blaming him for everything is just ignorant.

Gaede

Reaction score
Mistakes by players caused the loss. The coach did not fumble the ball multiple times, or cause Dak's poor play. Did Zeke look like a $100M bucks last night? How about Cooper? Did our "great" D-Line control the line of scrimmage? How about the O-line?

The constant Garrett bashing on the forum is just tired. The many objective independent experts who judge and rank coaches think far more highly of Garrett than the rabid fans who spend hours bashing him on the message board. Yes, there are better coaches out there. Also better QB's, RB's, WR's etc...

Blame the coach for bad coaching decisions, but blaming him for everything is just ignorant.

I think you can definitely blame the head coach for the overall team performance and makeup. He doesn't make every little decision, sure, but he's in charge of the people who make those decisions. He doesn't make the plays, but he picks and coaches the players that do. And so on.

When the overall team performs the same (conservative, reactive, uninspired) year after year, then you can legitimately point to the head coach as part of the problem. Especially when basically everyone around the head coach (players and assistant coaches) has changed in the time that coach has been around. I think there's maybe 3 people who've been around as long as Garrett. Jerry (and the Joneses), Witten, and Ladouceur. Obviously, Witten and Ladouceur are non-factors in overall team performance. And say what you will about Jerry, but he doesn't make the gameplans, call the plays, coach the players--nor does he manage the people who do those things etc. That's Garrett's job. If it's not, then what is his job?

Time will tell whether this year is different. But would anyone be surprised to see another somewhat successful season followed by an early exit in the playoffs when matched up against a superior gameplan?

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It *looked* more like an old Garrett game plan, but I don't think any of us have knowledge of whether that was Moore or Garrett.

I look forward to the rumors this week on the subject, and all the palace intrigue shaping up for the coming year.

My dream may come to pass. Boy Genius II may depose Boy Genius I!
For the lolz!

Garrett doesn't call the plays anymore. And after the first 3 weeks of aggressive, creative, deep ball football, its very obvious that Moore is doing his own thing.

I cant believe that out of nowhere he was commanded by Garrett to be predictable, boring, and conservative, and don't adjust.

It really is completely vexing what the heck happened yesterday with the GP and the offense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Are you joking? Garrett is constantly bashed by the media. On ESPN they had a show on how Garrett is still the weak link of the Cowboys come playoff time.

Coaching matters. Although I certainly don't blame Garrett for yesterday. That falls on the OC in Moore. Garrett has been reduced to sideline cheerleader and that is where he belongs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you can definitely blame the head coach for the overall team performance and makeup. He doesn't make every little decision, sure, but he's in charge of the people who make those decisions. He doesn't make the plays, but he picks the players that do. And so on.

When the overall team performs the same (conservative, reactive, uninspired) year after year, then you can legitimately point to the head coach as part of the problem. Especially when basically everyone around the head coach (players and assistant coaches) has changed in the time that coach has been around. I think there's maybe 3 people who've been around as long as Garrett. Jerry, Witten, and Ladouceur. Obviously, Witten and Ladouceur are non-factors in overall team performance. And say what you will about Jerry, but he doesn't make the gameplans, call the plays, coach the players--nor does he manage the people who do those things etc. That's Garrett's job. If it's not, then what is his job?

Time will tell whether this year is different. But would anyone be surprised to see another somewhat successful season followed by an early exit in the playoffs when matched up against a superior gameplan?

Garrett definitely does not pick the players. Not even close. Now can you blame Garrett for not forcing Moore to be more aggressive? That's nit picking. Garretts clapping was up to par yesterday. He did his job.

Gaede

Reaction score
Garrett definitely does not pick the players. Not even close. Now can you blame Garrett for not forcing Moore to be more aggressive? That's nit picking. Garretts clapping was up to par yesterday. He did his job.

What does he do then?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What does he do then?

Gives press conferences. Walks around and says hi to everyone, talks to the players, gives them pep talks, speeches, organizes team meetings. Goes to Jerry's office to get his orders. Pokes his head into a few meetings?

CapnB

Reaction score
I would say it was the Oline got outplayed. Had nothing to do with JG coaching. Their defense was better than our Offense last night. Plain and simple. Honestly, i can't see how things could be blamed on something else. But, sometimes peoples dislike is so strong it blinds the obvious.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Pure and simple. Him not wanting Dak to throw the ball an rely just on Elliott running the ball was the reason why we lost. The Saints were loading the box. Yet time and again we kept running up the middle.

Moore is not at fault here. This is all on Garrett.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Clarence Hill said on 103.3 he believes Garrett leaned on Moore all week to be conservative this game. Didn't want to make mistakes in that loud dome.

Rajveer

Reaction score
Does that even look like a Moore called game Mr. Obvious?
It did not and that was the surprising part. I thought Jerrah did not want JG to interfere with the play calling. So at this point I am not sure if Kellen regressed or JG took over. I cannot tell as I have no inside information on that. It would only be speculation as we are doing right now. Jerry said we are dual threat this year, if they stack the run, then we can beat them with our passing game. I did not see that yesterday. When the run got stuffed, we kept running without utilizing Pollard to see if he can bring in something different. I dont know whose decision was that. I will just say regardless the play caller, we got out coached as always against good coaches.

Gaede

Reaction score
Clarence Hill said on 103.3 he believes Garrett leaned on Moore all week to be conservative this game. Didn't want to make mistakes in that loud dome.

We've seen this team under Garrett for what, 9 years now?

Would anyone really be surprised that Garrett would ground a highly successful offense to play it safe?

I know some contrarians will come in here and be all, 'Garrett doesn't make the plays! Garrett doesn't call the plays! Garrett doesn't [insert anything here that would absolve the head coach of any responsibility whatsover]!' But seriously. How long has he coached this team and how long have they played this brand of conservative, boring, robotic football? Yesterday was vintage-JG football.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Gives press conferences. Walks around and says hi to everyone, talks to the players, gives them pep talks, speeches, organizes team meetings. Goes to Jerry's office to get his orders. Pokes his head into a few meetings?

LMAO!! This is pretty much what I said to a friend about Garrett at the beginning of the year. However, I do think Garrett-top has influence over Pizza Boy’s gameplan week to week. If not, he better be tearing KM a new butthole after yesterday’s poor showing. After all, he’s coaching for a new contract as well!

lwehlers

Reaction score
Why exactly does the jones family want 8-8 or 10-6 and one and done. Explain how they would see that as a benefit to them over 13-3 and a deep playoff run.
the jones family do not need a deep playoff run. all they need is for the cowboys to be good enough to get the exposure for the primetime games. they already have three superbowls. maybe I am just disappointed in this team right now and got sucked in to thinking that this team was finally going to be a superbowl contender. not having brees last night was break that this team needed and it fell flat on there faces.

Chill35

Reaction score
I agree 1000 percent. Moore has been aggressive all year. He comes from Boise which is always aggressive and throwing the ball down the field.

Am I supposed to believe that for the first time in his life Moore became conservative because the place they were playing was loud?

I wish someone could answer this as well. I was just SMH the whole game.