Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the beginning meanin when Jerry bought the team. Once Jason became head coach things changed. Do you think Jerry was excited about picking an offensive lineman in the 1st round. No he wasn’t. But Garrett had a philosophy and convinced Jerry to buy in. Which he has.
Gimme a break! Garrett is spineless!!! He felt the pressure from not going for it on 4th down against Houston and now he goes on it every time. That's just one example. I won't argue anymore. Go on with your fantasy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Apparently the formula he used takes 10+ years and has not included an NFC Championship game yet.
He’s been pretty successful and close “the no catch” but I can’t argue there has been no playoff success. Until now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well actually, they've talked about how it is, on several videos. There is a group of people who have a vote from what I heard being described. So even if Jason Garret has a vote, I don't equate that to building the team. They've done a good job recently, but I don't see how you give Garrett credit for it, and Jerry still has final say, which is where steven sometimes steps in to talk some sense into him.
The head coach has a vision on what kind of team he wants to coach. The scouts create the draft board filled with the type of players to fulfill that vision. Come draft day they’re voting on the type of players the head coach wants.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Apparently the formula he used takes 10+ years and has not included an NFC Championship game yet.
It has been obvious his plan from the beginning but he had to work against all the dead money from players that were no longer on the team and build almost exclusively from the draft, with very few big FA signings. Mostly what FA he got were shopping from the bargain bin.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
The head coach has a vision on what kind of team he wants to coach. The scouts create the draft board filled with the type of players to fulfill that vision. Come draft day they’re voting on the type of players the head coach wants.

You are talk about things in perfect world scenarios. That isn't the real world. We are not a well run organization like the patriots. We've drafted well, recently, but things still don't aren't run like you think they are.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
:D this is just out of jest. but

Jerry: Jason what you think about this player?
<clap> <clap> <clap>
Jerry: Well what about that player?
<clap> <clap> <clap>

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It has been obvious his plan from the beginning but he had to work against all the dead money from players that were no longer on the team and build almost exclusively from the draft, with very few big FA signings. Mostly what FA he got were shopping from the bargain bin.
Dead money has meant nothing for the salary cap in a very long time. Fans and the media bring it up like it was 2007, but the salary cap is so large now that any team can easily sign any player they want regardless of cap space or dead money. The difference is that some teams, like the Cowboys, try to avoid making long term commitments to aging players like they used to do, but that's a choice, not a "We don't have a choice" strategy. Dead money would only impact a cap if it was $40-50 million in a season now and, even then, a team could still free up some cap space if they really wanted to badly enough.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Will McClay is the one watching film... I'd believe he has a say. Besides it's probably more of a committee approach...but whatever.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The key to winning in the playoffs is to build a team from the trenches out. You must be able to control both lines of scrimmage. You must be able to run the ball and stop the run. You must be able to win time of possession. You must minimize the turnovers. You must play tough, physical football. Garrett has accomplished all of the above and we’re just getting started.

We’ll see. I hope you’re right. I don’t think personell has been the issue. I think game planning or lack there of, not being able to adjust ingame. Clock/game management has been the issue. But, nothing to gain by rooting against him so I am hoping you are right and I will be happy to be wrong.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dead money has meant nothing for the salary cap in a very long time. Fans and the media bring it up like it was 2007, but the salary cap is so large now that any team can easily sign any player they want regardless of cap space or dead money. The difference is that some teams, like the Cowboys, try to avoid making long term commitments to aging players like they used to do, but that's a choice, not a "We don't have a choice" strategy. Dead money would only impact a cap if it was $40-50 million in a season now and, even then, a team could still free up some cap space if they really wanted to badly enough.
Just until recently the Cowboys have been near the bottom with available cap space. In 2014 they were 32 the only year I checked. Garrett has handicapped initially by it. Stephen straightened it out.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I am well aware that we haven't been in cap hell in a long time but we haven't been shoppers in the FA market either. Jason tried to win with the team he inherited but after a couple of years he totally revamped the offensive line and the last couple of years he has been working on the defense.

We have been rebuilding exclusively from the draft and that is going to take time. I don't know if it has been Jason or Stephen but the philosophy has changed and it looks nothing like Jerry.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am well aware that we haven't been in cap hell in a long time but we haven't been shoppers in the FA market either. Jason tried to win with the team he inherited but after a couple of years he totally revamped the offensive line and the last couple of years he has been working on the defense.

We have been rebuilding exclusively from the draft and that is going to take time. I don't know if it has been Jason or Stephen but the philosophy has changed and it looks nothing like Jerry.
So basically you are saying that as long as you like the coach, every season is a "rebuilding year" until he eventually wins a Super Bowl?

Sorry, but every team has been "rebuilding" since the last time they won a Super Bowl or forever for those that never have.

In many seasons, the NFC East has been weak and yet he's not been able to do anything so far in the playoffs.

Hopefully this year he and the Cowboys break through. That would be awesome. But saying "Garrett building this team for playoff success" now is pointless and will only be true if they at least make it to the Super Bowl. Otherwise it will be yet-another-failed year under Garrett.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The coach tells the scouting team what type of team he wants to build and the types of players he needs to execute his vision. The scouting team finds the players.

I'd say it's really the GM who should have a vision, and find coaches and staff to fulfill it. That way your staff hiring and player personnel decisions aim toward the same goal despite coaching changes.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So basically you are saying that as long as you like the coach, every season is a "rebuilding year" until he eventually wins a Super Bowl?

Sorry, but every team has been "rebuilding" since the last time they won a Super Bowl or forever for those that never have.

In many seasons, the NFC East has been weak and yet he's not been able to do anything so far in the playoffs.

Hopefully this year he and the Cowboys break through. That would be awesome. But saying "Garrett building this team for playoff success" now is pointless and will only be true if they at least make it to the Super Bowl. Otherwise it will be yet-another-failed year under Garrett.
It’s not pointless in fact I’m trying to make the point. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.