Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
hrmm.. I've preaching this since 90's when I started playing and watching football. It's pretty simple and fundamental. I don't understand GM's and owners around the league who do not understand these concepts and pour resources into WR's and Cornerbacks when their lines on both sides of the ball are weak. Hello Jerry Jones from 1996 to 2012!
Not his fault tony was a dunce

Sydla

Reaction score
It took three.

We were competitive in 2014 and 2016, too. Both times with teams with the same makeup.

Turn out, not every good team wins a Superbowl in any given year. And sometimes there are even more than 4 good teams in the league or your bracket is structured in a way where a team has to play a top contender early.

The league is full of good teams that hang around and eventually make a championship run when things break right.

And yet a majority of the SB winners won SBs within the first few years of a new regime.

In fact, history shows it’s unlikely someone or a regime would go this far (9 seasons) and the suddenly win a SB.

Contrary to what some believe, I hope he does it and wins a SB and has the Cowboys as a continual contender. He’s a good representative for the organization, doesn’t embarrass them, etc.

But at some point you have to be to win something of note and I just don’t think it’s likely and history shows it’s could be a long shot.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Will McClay is the one watching film... I'd believe he has a say. Besides it's probably more of a committee approach...but whatever.

That's the case. XD Like I said, the cowboys have talked about how it is on video. I mean, someone who would find it worthwhile could dig up ancient shows from dc.com and piece them together. XD I don't quite see it worthwhile, but from what I remember hearing people from the organization say it is by committee where people have a vote and Will McClay is the head of the scouting department. Garret does have a vote, but he is not the only one. Also the change of direction of how the cowboys draft, Garret might have some influence, but how much is Garret and how much is steven and so forth. It looks like they have the right guys evaluating talent, but I'm not sure that any one guy can take credit for building this team if they vote by committee.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet a majority of the recent SB winners all won SBs within the first few years of a new regime.

In fact, history shows it’s unlikely someone or a regime would go this far (9 seasons) and the suddenly win a SB.

That’s because most coaches don’t get 7 seasons to get the job done. But in Dallas, we rebuilt for three seasons with a major roster overhaul and then had the best record in the NFC two out of the next three years. And are in position again this year to possibly accomplish something.

The issue in Dallas was that we lost two very close playoff games which were bad matchups for us prior to improving the defensive talent. It happens.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
It’s not pointless in fact I’m trying to make the point. Wow.

So how do you know it is Garrett and not Stephen that is responsible for the change of philosophy. Also we were so close to having a jerry move and getting Paxton here. So close to a jerry move and getting Manzeil. We haven't stopped our ways of drafting injured players either even though it looks like Jaylon Smith is a winner. So i'm not fully convinced that the days of Jerry mucking up the draft are gone. it seems we've lucked out a lot.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
That’s not the way it works. The team is built via the head coaches vision. The GM and scouting department go out and find the players to fulfill that vision.

you are saying how things are supposed to work. How they should work. But that is not the reality here for this team. Also you talk about Garrett as if he was given the same job that Jerry gave Parcells, versus the job he gave other coaches not named Parcells or Johnson.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
So Garrett is the only coach that envisions these concepts? This is football 101.

You’re talking like this is some genuis move that no one has ever thought of. I agree, the Cowboys have most of these concepts in place which is awesome but this just some obvious stuff here.

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s because most coaches don’t get 7 seasons to get the job done. But in Dallas, we rebuilt for three seasons with a major roster overhaul and then had the best record in the NFC two out of the next three years. And are in position again this year to possibly accomplish something.

The issue in Dallas was that we lost two very close playoff games which were bad matchups for us prior to improving the defensive talent. It happens.

That doesn’t even begin to refute the fact that most of all SB winners did so within 3-5 years of a new regime.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Haha, same thread every year, or multiple times every year. When the roster isn't excellent, poor Jason is a victim of lack of talent. When the team hits on draft picks and the roster is good, Jason built this team.

When Tyron Smith works out, that was Jason's pick. When Claiborne the very next year is one of the worst first round picks in team history, that was someone else.

When the team refuses to run the ball the first seven years Garrett is in charge of the offense, well, that's just bad fortune. When the team finally does run it -- total coincidence it happens immediately after Jerry had to remove playcalling from Jason and give it to a new OC -- that's what Garrett wanted all along.

The Garrett fanboys alter reality to fit their fantasy almost like a five year old playing make believe. It's pretty funny.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That doesn’t even begin to refute the fact that most of all SB winners did so within 3-5 years of a new regime.

It does, but it’s an insignificant stat, anyway. It’s not indicative of his ability to coach and it doesn’t affect the rate at which he wins games.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The key to winning in the playoffs is to build a team from the trenches out. You must be able to control both lines of scrimmage. You must be able to run the ball and stop the run. You must be able to win time of possession. You must minimize the turnovers. You must play tough, physical football. Garrett has accomplished all of the above and we’re just getting started.

I get being caught up in the moment but Garrett has been here now as HC since 2010 and we have only 2 wild card wins to show so far. You can't take that long to build something in this league. Not with the salary cap and the fact the career spans of a lot of these guys just aren't that long. I am judging him on his total body of work, not just this year. And it's been subpar. Now if he started to be our coach a few years ago and we were seeing these results this soon, then sure, I'd be excited.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I’m somewhat surprised there is so much strong negativity toward Jason at the moment. I understood it during the Romo era where it seemed like the organization was in the mud, but not so much now.

2016: 13-3 after our starting QB’s season ends in the preseason
2017: 9-7 wasted season when our best player is suspended 6 games
2018: 10-6 after a 3-5 start for 3rd divisional title in 5 years

I get it, all that matters is the playoffs and all of that. And here we are, story to still be written. I’m just surprised there’s not more positivity around what he’s done in the Zeke/Dak era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
.. and that's my point. I hope Garrett succeeds. While I am not fond of him (based purely on lack of results) as the head coach, as long as he is the head coach, I will root for him to win every game.

What I won't do though is give credit to him or anyone in the organization until they actually achieve success.

Once they win, I will be glad to rave about how smart they are/were to do this and that, but for now, we are one bad loss away from being right back where we have been the last 23+ years.
Absolutely!!

It often comes down to who believes and who doesn’t without further results.

Some fans see the progress as signs we’re on the verge of that success and support the efforts already made without the ultimate goals being met.

Status
Not open for further replies.