Garrett has built this team for playoff success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
So basically you are saying that as long as you like the coach, every season is a "rebuilding year" until he eventually wins a Super Bowl?

Sorry, but every team has been "rebuilding" since the last time they won a Super Bowl or forever for those that never have.

In many seasons, the NFC East has been weak and yet he's not been able to do anything so far in the playoffs.

Hopefully this year he and the Cowboys break through. That would be awesome. But saying "Garrett building this team for playoff success" now is pointless and will only be true if they at least make it to the Super Bowl. Otherwise it will be yet-another-failed year under Garrett.
Yes, it is only true if it happens and if it doesn't it is all a big farce.

Welcome to reality.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not pointless in fact I’m trying to make the point. Wow.
Then by your standards, every NFL coach, including the ones just hired, are "building their teams for playoff success" every season.

I mean it's inconceivable to believe another head coach is not building his team for playoff success, right?

So in other words, Garrett is just like 31 other NFL coaches. Got it!

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
They all should know what is needed. They all deserve blame for failing to give Romo a balanced team. And they all deserve credit for finally getting all the parts together. A lights out defense, a great back and balanced passing. We got it now. I just wish there was no salary cap. It does not last, so this year, this moment, we need to win the super bowl. I think we are the best most balanced team just now. So win.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'd say it's really the GM who should have a vision, and find coaches and staff to fulfill it. That way your staff hiring and player personnel decisions aim toward the same goal despite coaching changes.
That’s not the way it works. The team is built via the head coaches vision. The GM and scouting department go out and find the players to fulfill that vision.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, it is only true if it happens and if it doesn't it is all a big farce.

Welcome to reality.
.. and that's my point. I hope Garrett succeeds. While I am not fond of him (based purely on lack of results) as the head coach, as long as he is the head coach, I will root for him to win every game.

What I won't do though is give credit to him or anyone in the organization until they actually achieve success.

Once they win, I will be glad to rave about how smart they are/were to do this and that, but for now, we are one bad loss away from being right back where we have been the last 23+ years.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Then by your standards, every NFL coach, including the ones just hired, are "building their teams for playoff success" every season.

I mean it's inconceivable to believe another head coach is not building his team for playoff success, right?

Of course every head coach is trying to build a team for playoff success but not many of them are building by the standards I said in the OP.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
It has been obvious his plan from the beginning but he had to work against all the dead money from players that were no longer on the team and build almost exclusively from the draft, with very few big FA signings. Mostly what FA he got were shopping from the bargain bin.
Truth

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

tenor.gif

Maxmadden

Reaction score
.. and that's my point. I hope Garrett succeeds. While I am not fond of him (based purely on lack of results) as the head coach, as long as he is the head coach, I will root for him to win every game.

What I won't do though is give credit to him or anyone in the organization until they actually achieve success.

Once they win, I will be glad to rave about how smart they are/were to do this and that, but for now, we are one bad loss away from being right back where we have been the last 23+ years.
I am not a Garret fan either but he was never given a clean slate and whatever he accomplishes in his career will be in spite of JJ.

It does seem that we have a very young and talented team and we seem poised to contend in the future in spite of JJ. I think Garrett and Stephen are on the same page and our future looks more bright that it has in years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The key to winning in the playoffs is to build a team from the trenches out. You must be able to control both lines of scrimmage. You must be able to run the ball and stop the run. You must be able to win time of possession. You must minimize the turnovers. You must play tough, physical football. Garrett has accomplished all of the above and we’re just getting started.

Profound insight tenderheart.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t believe people are disputing that the team was built the way Garrett wanted it built.

How many OLs had we taken in the first round before he took over? How many since?

Zeke remind y’all of anybody? How bout the style of football we play? Reminiscent of anything?

It’s obvious. And it’s ok to admit it, guys. CotY, three of five NFCE championships. Winningest NFC team in the current three year span. And now, some modest playoff success. He’s obviously doing something right.

We may not be in the best position in the league, but there’s no longer any doubt the massive and irrational criticism of his approach and his methods was completely and embarrassingly overblown.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can’t believe people are disputing that the team was built the way Garrett wanted it built.

How many OLs had we taken in the first round before he took over? How many since?

Zeke remind y’all of anybody? How bout the style of football we play? Reminiscent of anything?

It’s obvious. And it’s ok to admit it, guys. CotY, three of five NFCE championships. Winningest NFC team in the current three year span. And now, some modest playoff success. He’s obviously doing something right.

We may not be in the best position in the league, but there’s no longer any doubt the massive and irrational criticism of his approach and his methods was completely and embarrassingly overblown.
I prefer NFC Championship and Super Bowl wins personally, but to each their own of course.

Sydla

Reaction score
So when Garrett got the job he convinced Jerry of his vision and got him to immediately implement his vision.

And then it took 9 seasons for the vision to come to fruitition?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So when Garrett got the job he convinced Jerry of his vision and got him to immediately implement his vision.

And then it took 9 seasons for the vision to come to fruitition?

It took three.

We were competitive in 2014 and 2016, too. Both times with teams with the same makeup.

Turn out, not every good team wins a Superbowl in any given year. And sometimes there are even more than 4 good teams in the league or your bracket is structured in a way where a team has to play a top contender early.

The league is full of good teams that hang around and eventually make a championship run when things break right.

Lodeus

Reaction score
Youngest team in the playoffs correct? One could say in the past three years that Garrett has been building this young Cowboy team into the Cowboy team he always envisioned. I could just be crazy though.

cern

Reaction score
No knock on Garrett, but i believe it's mcclay and Stephen who've built the team. Garrett is the motivator and his coordinators do the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.