Garrett is a great coach waiting to happen

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being able to post within the thread is a good thing. Only being able to read the thread can be a bad thing.

Wait. What?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Site rule #8 - You will not personally attack or insult other members

NotForLong

Reaction score
Here is what he needs to change:

Knock off the insane clapping. If a player makes a great play, yell congrats. Give a thumbs up. If a player screws up, for God's sake do not clap! Why would you clap?

When a player is suspending for drugs, vehicular manslaughter, DV, etc. or is late to practice or camp, DO NOT say "he's a player, we believe in him. His work ethic and love of his teammates is a testament to his character." Think it over. Follow Jimmy's way: "I will tell you something, he's got until tomorrow to explain his butt. Things happen. Stupidity happens. If he does not want to get with the system or work hard, there are a hundred otywers who want his job. I am through talking about idiots who do not, through his actions, want to be here."

Stop grinning at everything. Not everything is pretty or good.
Did jimmy and old man Landry grin on the sidelines? No, they were focused.

At pressers, tell it like it is: "Our pass rushing sucks. Our secondary is struggling. I will have the Allen HS secondary here tomorrow to show them how it is done."

When you lose, show anger: "We are going to switch some first-teamers to second. This loss is unacceptable. If you can't play for an hour, you need to be in better condition. If you can't hang with the opponent, turn in your equipment and give a younger, more talented player a chance to play."

Garrett has the smarts and skills. Talking and acting like a Pollyanna is not the way to conduct himself. IT'S THE NFL, NOT POP WARNER!!!!!
How much longer do we have to wait

InTheZone

Reaction score

Knock off the insane clapping. If a player makes a great play, yell congrats. Give a thumbs up. If a player screws up, for God's sake do not clap! Why would you clap?

When a player is suspending for drugs, vehicular manslaughter, DV, etc. or is late to practice or camp, DO NOT say "he's a player, we believe in him. His work ethic and love of his teammates is a testament to his character." Think it over. Follow Jimmy's way: "I will tell you something, he's got until tomorrow to explain his butt. Things happen. Stupidity happens. If he does not want to get with the system or work hard, there are a hundred otywers who want his job. I am through talking about idiots who do not, through his actions, want to be here."

At pressers, tell it like it is: "Our pass rushing sucks. Our secondary is struggling. I will have the Allen HS secondary here tomorrow to show them how it is done."

When you lose, show anger: "We are going to switch some first-teamers to second. This loss is unacceptable. If you can't play for an hour, you need to be in better condition. If you can't hang with the opponent, turn in your equipment and give a younger, more talented player a chance to play."

Garrett has the smarts and skills. Talking and acting like a Pollyanna is not the way to conduct himself. IT'S THE NFL, NOT POP WARNER!!!!!
LOFL

glimmerman

Reaction score

That’s why I thought during the amazon special that JG looked fake. Dropping all the F bombs and acting tough and angry sometimes. Then watch him during games and it’s all smiles and clapping.

DiResta

Reaction score
it was a hype machine. which only solidfied when some of us scream "dont believe the hype" even the media failed.
sure but theres always hype just like theres always hate
i choose to stay more balanced
i think Garrett does some things very well (mostly organization)
and some things very poorly (game adjustments, being unpredictable)
and some things he has improved (used to never play young guys, i hated watching young talent never play knowing they had it only to go somewhere else and show it)
theres also lots of things that he could improve and if hes still around i think he would

the problem with canning Garrett is that everybody has their replacement in mind and most of these coaches someone else is guaranteed to hate
and coaching only goes so far unless you are the goat (BB)

lets use an example
Gary Kubiak. this guy aside from Jeff Fisher is Mr 8-8
he got fired mid season in Houston his record is 61-64 and 2-2 in the playoffs
goes to Denver wins the SB then promptly goes 9-7 misses playoffs and hes done

some people here wanted Jeff Fisher as hc
hes even worse

my personal opinion is that the Cowboys can win with Garrett but only with a much better defense and he has to be better at things hes weak at
i wouldnt be opposed to a better coach but who is that? if someone is going to say someone who doesnt clap then dont bother wasting your bandwidth

dfense

Reaction score
Clapping when things go bad is indicative of the type of asshat JG really is. It speaks volumes as to who he is as a person and leader; someone who honestly doesn't give a **** and is collecting a handsome paycheck because of it.
:facepalm: Try opening the basement windows and let some air in.

DiResta

Reaction score
this clapping thing
this is essentially Garretts entire MO
his mantra be your best right now no matter what youre doing
he hammers this **** constantly
thats why players play hard for him
when they screw up he reminds them forget it, stay in the moment and do the next thing at your best
Chaz Green is a great example of the opposite of that -of course the staff failed to help him as well
if they make a great play he reminds them forget it, stay in the moment and do the next thing at your best

like it or hate it thats the message
and he reminds them of this mantra by clapping
i would guess hes reminding them to forget that last play and focus on the next

cant believe i had to explain that to some people

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett is way way way to talent dependent.

I know all coaches need talent but he needs it to the level where he can almost be completely hands off.

He gives us no advantage on gameday. It's just Dallas imposing themselves on the other team.

This 80 & 90's style of coaching is not something I want from a modern day NFL coach and we will be a YO YO franchise as long as he is our coach.

DiResta

Reaction score

I know all coaches need talent but he needs it to the level where he can almost be completely hands off.

He gives us no advantage on gameday. It's just Dallas imposing themselves on the other team.

This 80 & 90's style of coaching is not something I want from a modern day NFL coach and we will be a YO YO franchise as long as he is our coach.
well thats a good argument
how much talent is needed for a particular coach would be impossible to evaluate though

Bruce Arians was thought to be a very good coach and had great talent on his team but couldnt get it done
in GB they have an unbelievable qb but only got it done once with him and without him they fell apart

it takes so much going right

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
What keeps JG from greatness:
1) horrible game management (via play calling, player management, and clock management)
2) inability to scheme and create mismatches and/or account for injuries
3) unable to get a team ready for most big games
4) inability to make adjustments
I wish we could tattoo this on ever forum right here. Clapping means NOTHING if your scheme is legit. If you know how to force mismatches, train your players to see everything on the field. If you know how to hold the defense off of your QB, if you know how to scheme open a wide receiver, or take chances every now and then. Hire the right coordinators and you can clap as much as you want.
Coordinators who know, I mean KNOW how to scheme to get players into the end zone.
Coordinators who know how to stop an offense.
And you, as a Coach, have to have the knowledge on what to call on game day, when to call it, how to get into your players head, and how to send messages to players who aren't performing.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the clapping in a general sense, I saw Jimmy clapping quite a lot too, it's pretty common in coaching. But there's too much of it in games, it's okay in practices and occasionally in games, but there's a time and a place for it, even if a player makes a mistake, because they all do.

And I don't have a huge problem with the time he's had, after all it took Landry 6 years to win his first SB, after he got the team to a high level, even as great a coach as he was. And he didn't have to deal with the salary cap, or a JJ as the owner.

No, the problem with Garrett is his up and down coaching record, at least Landry showed steady improvement to get to an NFL championship game, then was constantly in the playoffs until the won the big one. Garrett hasn't gotten close to the SB but one time, and that took them getting a controversial call to beat Detroit. (To me it shouldn't have been controversial, but to a lot of non-Cowboys fans and ever some "experts" it was.)

His time is about up, I really feel he has to do it this year or maybe the next, and if he doesn't, he never will....

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score
That’s why I thought during the amazon special that JG looked fake. Dropping all the F bombs and acting tough and angry sometimes. Then watch him during games and it’s all smiles and clapping.

Maybe you just don't get to see and hear him during the games the same way?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’m not sure how much Garrett provides us in Game Day. I don’t think that’s his most important contribution or asset to our football operations.

I see Garrett as more of a walk around GM. IMO his influence with Jethro and Son is the difference with the better decisions we’ve seen in recent years in the draft, managing the Cap and personnel decisions.

We’ve still seen some risk, suspensions and injuries which appear to have slowed the process but overall I think you have to credit Garrett with the improved culture.

Would we like better results? Of course. Would the results be any better without Garrett’s influences? Prob not based on the results with previous coaches .

Are we in a better place than when Jason took over ?I think we are. I think there’s been enough positive impact to stay the course especially since a better prospect or solution is unclear with Jerry.

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score
Figure another 10yrs or so and Garrett will be poised to enter the NFC Champ game.

Sky’s the limit (or maybe Jerry’s ticker?) after that.

ESisback

Reaction score
I hope he claps so much in 2018 that it causes all the morons to change teams.

sideon

Reaction score
So you just decided to omit the terrible play calling, clock management, and halftime adjustment?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
sure but theres always hype just like theres always hate
i choose to stay more balanced
i think Garrett does some things very well (mostly organization)
and some things very poorly (game adjustments, being unpredictable)
and some things he has improved (used to never play young guys, i hated watching young talent never play knowing they had it only to go somewhere else and show it)
theres also lots of things that he could improve and if hes still around i think he would

the problem with canning Garrett is that everybody has their replacement in mind and most of these coaches someone else is guaranteed to hate
and coaching only goes so far unless you are the goat (BB)

lets use an example
Gary Kubiak. this guy aside from Jeff Fisher is Mr 8-8
he got fired mid season in Houston his record is 61-64 and 2-2 in the playoffs
goes to Denver wins the SB then promptly goes 9-7 misses playoffs and hes done

some people here wanted Jeff Fisher as hc
hes even worse

my personal opinion is that the Cowboys can win with Garrett but only with a much better defense and he has to be better at things hes weak at
i wouldnt be opposed to a better coach but who is that? if someone is going to say someone who doesnt clap then dont bother wasting your bandwidth

This is a post i can almost get behind. Here is the kicker. We have given Garrett 8 years or more, to do what? To find out he cant get it together? To what, allow him to hone his skills for his next job?

I agree, many coaches arent going to do better, but when a few come around who do it in less time than most coaches, ya gotta start considering, what is my coach doing"? im sorry but im not waiting 20 years for Garrett to say "hey guys, we only have two options, i have to wait for all the stars to aling, or i need another 10 years" Garrett has had plenty of time.

And thats fine if you dont want to change like other posters, but accept you defend the mediocrity he has continued. Fans got pissed at Phillips and Phillips did more with less than Garrett. Think about that, fans literally got angry that Philllips had a really good year. Yet, Garrett goes 8-8 three years in a row and its "he ll get it together, ya ll just haters" Oh i dont think so.

Dallas used to demand standards be met. Now we expect teh media and fans to accept a lot less.

Lets go back to what worked

SO here is my question to the Garrett followers "How many more years do you give him to waste on this organization"? I dont want a defense just go on record with how many years you are willing to give him.