Garrett is a great coach waiting to happen

ESisback

Reaction score
I don’t see many “Garrett Followers” that are happy with the last decade. I just hear endless noise from those that focus on the clapping, use dumb nicknames, constantly complain and/or act like they know things no one else does.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I don’t see many “Garrett Followers” that are happy with the last decade. I just hear endless noise from those that focus on the clapping, use dumb nicknames, constantly complain and/or act like they know things no one else does.

how many years do you give him?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m not sure how much Garrett provides us in Game Day. I don’t think that’s his most important contribution or asset to our football operations.

I see Garrett as more of a walk around GM. IMO his influence with Jethro and Son is the difference with the better decisions we’ve seen in recent years in the draft, managing the Cap and personnel decisions.

We’ve still seen some risk, suspensions and injuries which appear to have slowed the process but overall I think you have to credit Garrett with the improved culture.

Would we like better results? Of course. Would the results be any better without Garrett’s influences? Prob not based on the results with previous coaches .

Are we in a better place than when Jason took over ?I think we are. I think there’s been enough positive impact to stay the course especially since a better prospect or solution is unclear with Jerry.

What course?

This is something we should be saying a few years in..

We've almost reached a decade with Jason Garrett.

This false hope narrative with him is just people kidding themselves.

He's had a lifetime as far as it goes for a NFL coach. Give me change.

If change is horrible then change it again. Changing in the NFL works. Staying with coaches like him that have had that long doesn't. I don't even know if there is an example.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett is way way way to talent dependent.

I know all coaches need talent but he needs it to the level where he can almost be completely hands off.

He gives us no advantage on gameday. It's just Dallas imposing themselves on the other team.

This 80 & 90's style of coaching is not something I want from a modern day NFL coach and we will be a YO YO franchise as long as he is our coach.

Garrett is too stuck in the past. He wants everything to be like it was the 90s and we won't deviate from that "PROCESS."

His too mechanical with this decision making. If Zeke is tearing the defense apart for 3 straight runs in a row. He will take out Zeke and put in a 2nd stringer - killing our momentum. Why? Who knows. Maybe its part of his PROCESS.

This PROCESS is great for organizing a big company or organization. It doesn't usually fit well with how a football team is meant to run.

Thats the reason why he fails to make the right calls at the right time - which any other coach would have done. His mindset isn't much into football and how to run an NFL team. His mindset is how to run a corporation - like Apple or Google.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the clapping in a general sense, I saw Jimmy clapping quite a lot too, it's pretty common in coaching. But there's too much of it in games, it's okay in practices and occasionally in games, but there's a time and a place for it, even if a player makes a mistake, because they all do.

And I don't have a huge problem with the time he's had, after all it took Landry 6 years to win his first SB, after he got the team to a high level, even as great a coach as he was. And he didn't have to deal with the salary cap, or a JJ as the owner.

No, the problem with Garrett is his up and down coaching record, at least Landry showed steady improvement to get to an NFL championship game, then was constantly in the playoffs until the won the big one. Garrett hasn't gotten close to the SB but one time, and that took them getting a controversial call to beat Detroit. (To me it shouldn't have been controversial, but to a lot of non-Cowboys fans and ever some "experts" it was.)

His time is about up, I really feel he has to do it this year or maybe the next, and if he doesn't, he never will....

Garrett runs the team like its a TO DO LIST.

1. Clap all game long
2. Get Bailey to do to 5 Field Goals
3. Run Zeke only for 22 plays - No more
4. Get 3 Sacks
5. Don't use the challenge flag more than 2 times per. game
6. Don't blitz more than 5 times per. game
7. Don't go for 4th downs if its 3 or more yards
8. Don't change the playbook for whatever reason

Well, its a bit drastic but it seems as if that is how Garrett calls his gameplan. Its more like a checklist rather than strategies and tactics.

ghst187

Reaction score
I wish we could tattoo this on ever forum right here. Clapping means NOTHING if your scheme is legit. If you know how to force mismatches, train your players to see everything on the field. If you know how to hold the defense off of your QB, if you know how to scheme open a wide receiver, or take chances every now and then. Hire the right coordinators and you can clap as much as you want.
Coordinators who know, I mean KNOW how to scheme to get players into the end zone.
Coordinators who know how to stop an offense.
And you, as a Coach, have to have the knowledge on what to call on game day, when to call it, how to get into your players head, and how to send messages to players who aren't performing.

Preach it! Amen

DiResta

Reaction score
This is a post i can almost get behind. Here is the kicker. We have given Garrett 8 years or more, to do what? To find out he cant get it together? To what, allow him to hone his skills for his next job?

I agree, many coaches arent going to do better, but when a few come around who do it in less time than most coaches, ya gotta start considering, what is my coach doing"? im sorry but im not waiting 20 years for Garrett to say "hey guys, we only have two options, i have to wait for all the stars to aling, or i need another 10 years" Garrett has had plenty of time.

And thats fine if you dont want to change like other posters, but accept you defend the mediocrity he has continued. Fans got pissed at Phillips and Phillips did more with less than Garrett. Think about that, fans literally got angry that Philllips had a really good year. Yet, Garrett goes 8-8 three years in a row and its "he ll get it together, ya ll just haters" Oh i dont think so.

Dallas used to demand standards be met. Now we expect teh media and fans to accept a lot less.

Lets go back to what worked

SO here is my question to the Garrett followers "How many more years do you give him to waste on this organization"? I dont want a defense just go on record with how many years you are willing to give him.
thats a hard question to answer
Andy Reid had some very good years in Philadelphia including the SB trip, hes had success in KC as well. both these teams had huge amounts of talent and Reid is an offensive mastermind plus he had a defensive mastermind in Jim Johnson
but he never was able to win a superbowl. he was definitely able to embarrass Dallas most of the time and could get in the playoffs, but it wasnt enough

i dont know Garretts leash but i have to ask myself does he make the same mistakes over and over? does he win with a good team? there was a good post recently describing each season and it did a pretty good job of summarizing each of his seasons
they never could take Romo out of the offense and function until Dak, and how many seasons where the defense just couldnt stop anything?
for me it just isnt that simple as being 1 guys fault
he shares the blame
but if you brought in your realistic coach of choice theres no guarantee it gets better with the past rosters

DiResta

Reaction score
jimmy took over the worst team in football (cowboys) and won 2 superbowls in 5 years. he left a team good enough to win another with one of 500 other coaches.
Jimmy was a great coach

DiResta

Reaction score
His too mechanical with this decision making.

This PROCESS is great for organizing a big company or organization. It doesn't usually fit well with how a football team is meant to run.

Thats the reason why he fails to make the right calls at the right time - which any other coach would have done. His mindset isn't much into football and how to run an NFL team. His mindset is how to run a corporation - like Apple or Google.

this is true imo
hes very methodical

GenoT

Reaction score
One thing’s for certain...

If/when (???) Garrett finally gets canned, @90% of those currently defending him, once they get over their initial homeriffic butt-hurt, will be the first to say, “give him a chance” if the new HC were to struggle.*

*Strangely, this truism doesn’t affect Romoholics. But then, anything less than Tony ascending directly to Heaven won’t keep these lemmings from hating on Dak.

:thumbup:

Jipper

Reaction score
And maybe he can’t act that way during games? Unprofessional?

possibly, maybe its the image he wants to portray? He could act that way during games, there are plenty of players and coaches that do...but if thats not his style then its not his style...

Jipper

Reaction score
This is a post i can almost get behind. Here is the kicker. We have given Garrett 8 years or more, to do what? To find out he cant get it together? To what, allow him to hone his skills for his next job?

I agree, many coaches arent going to do better, but when a few come around who do it in less time than most coaches, ya gotta start considering, what is my coach doing"? im sorry but im not waiting 20 years for Garrett to say "hey guys, we only have two options, i have to wait for all the stars to aling, or i need another 10 years" Garrett has had plenty of time.

And thats fine if you dont want to change like other posters, but accept you defend the mediocrity he has continued. Fans got pissed at Phillips and Phillips did more with less than Garrett. Think about that, fans literally got angry that Philllips had a really good year. Yet, Garrett goes 8-8 three years in a row and its "he ll get it together, ya ll just haters" Oh i dont think so.

Dallas used to demand standards be met. Now we expect teh media and fans to accept a lot less.

Lets go back to what worked

SO here is my question to the Garrett followers "How many more years do you give him to waste on this organization"? I dont want a defense just go on record with how many years you are willing to give him.

i guess i dont see the progress he has made as wasted years....this team has been completly rebuilt from the team that he inherited...now has arguably the best oline in the nfl, the best rb, an up and coming defense with a very good set of DE's and some great young secondary players....

I think the problem is he has built a good team but he still makes mistakes from time to time that people magnify. So from a HC perspective, people have issues with him, but if he was the GM building the team i think most would get behind him. I personally choose to focus on the overall picture which is that he has improved as a coach and has a great young team hungry to follow him..

ESisback

Reaction score
how many years do you give him?

Ultimately, what I think is irrelevant, but just to answer your question, I’ll give Garrett 2018. If we don’t have an injury epidemic, one of our key players suspended for six games or more, or another eight game streak of no holding calls against opponents, I expect a playoff win or two. If nothing bad happens and we STILL go 8-8 or worse, I’d be all for a change.

The NFC East is tough, and so’s that schedule, but with that OL and Zeke and some of the players we have on defense, we SHOULD be able to make some noise!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
thats a hard question to answer
Andy Reid had some very good years in Philadelphia including the SB trip, hes had success in KC as well. both these teams had huge amounts of talent and Reid is an offensive mastermind plus he had a defensive mastermind in Jim Johnson
but he never was able to win a superbowl. he was definitely able to embarrass Dallas most of the time and could get in the playoffs, but it wasnt enough

i dont know Garretts leash but i have to ask myself does he make the same mistakes over and over? does he win with a good team? there was a good post recently describing each season and it did a pretty good job of summarizing each of his seasons
they never could take Romo out of the offense and function until Dak, and how many seasons where the defense just couldnt stop anything?
for me it just isnt that simple as being 1 guys fault
he shares the blame
but if you brought in your realistic coach of choice theres no guarantee it gets better with the past rosters

Agreed on everything.