Garrett will not be fired. Bet your house on it

blueblood70

Reaction score
semantics likes been discussed ,

he wont be RETAINED ie given a NEW contract..he will quit ie privately asked tp walk away quietly or simply told to go publicly not retained.. he cant be fired after the season, he has no contract..

I say he gets new deal if he wins no less then 2 playoff games.. we need a NFCCG appearance at worse or hes gone..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, that is my take as well.

Jerry is not going to fire Garrett during the season, no matter how many games we lose. With that being said however, everybody knew this year had to be a "get the team over the hump year" just as Stephen Jones said in preseason.

I am fairly confident we are not going to finish with a better record than the Eagles, not with their cupcake schedule. So that means no division title and no wildcard either since we have literally lost to every NFC contender we have played this year. So that means no playoffs and that was pretty much the one thing Garrett could not have happen in his contract year.

So my prediction..………...The Eagles win the division and Garrett is simply not resigned, the team announces they are going in a new direction.
At this stage, I think it is very probable Dallas could sweep the division and still lose it.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In my opinion, Garrett's job is 100% safe if-and-until the Cowboys either lose the division to the Eagles or are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

I agree my man.

I may only disagree on the timing. It'll be black Monday when he's fired if the Cowboys don't make the playoffs. The new coach will be hired around Super Bowl week...you know...Jerry-style.

quickccc

Reaction score
You will win on a technicality. Jerry set up a situation for his own comfort, based on his feelings for Garrett, that will prevent him from firing Garrett even if the Cowboys finish 5-11.

Prediction? Garrett’s success with Dak makes him the next coach of
  • Giants
  • Browns
  • Jets (3 places where he would actually be a step forward)
Or,
  • Dolphins
  • Broncos (Places that have hired former Cowboys in the past)

" ..I'll buy that for a dollar... "

Jets - Sam Donald
Browns - Mayfield (good luck)
Giants - Daniel Jones
Garrett would have a cornerstone QB to work with these 3.

- Denver doesn't have a cornerstone QB , nor does Dolphins - so they will have to bank on very high 1st round pick for likely QB

- Garret's QB resume: Tony Romo and Dak Prescott; Garrett was considered a candidate for Ravens HC but obvious the heir apparent HC from Wade Phillips was already in place
when Jerry hired him.

- Also if Garrett is gone, and assuming the next HC is an offensive guy, t hen Jason is very likely going to want the assistant coaches from here
that could range from Kellen Moore, Kitna, Doug Mussehheimer and WR coach Sanjay Lai - frankly i'm starting to care less and less for that RB coach Gary Brown.

- Jerry may influence the new HC to keep key assistants like Columbo and Kris Richard (should he not depart per new HC job)

erod

Reaction score
If Garrett is still the coach come September, we are all getting mohawks.
maxresdefault.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sean peyton?

He was the guy I thought Jerry wanted most, but that was before he signed the extension.

I think they like Garrett and believe he’d do a better job than most. Richard might have been a candidate before, but I have a hard time seeing them kick Garrett to the curb for him right now. Maybe if the defense had just crushed it. Moore is too new to coaching right now, but after next season he might be an option. Though teams will probably come calling a bit this offseason. I don’t imagine Jerry has two college coaches he likes enough, but I suppose it’s possible.

In 6-7 years, when his kids are a bit older, we’ll be talking about Romo ad OC and HC in Training. Which will be awesome.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
1) If the team misses the playoffs, then Garrett is gone. I think that much is clear.

2) If they get to the NFCCG, then he stays. That’s also clear.

3) There are almost no circumstances in which Garrett gets fired mid-season. Maybe if they lose out, he might get fired when they are 5-9. But we all know that’s not going to happen.

So the discussion is about what happens if the Cowboys make the playoffs but get bounced in the wildcard or divisional round. The truth is, I don’t even think Jerry knows what he’d do.

My best guess? Garrett gets resigned to a 2-year extension and told its Super Bowl or bust in 2020.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Jerry keeps praising Garrett ,

what you don't know Jerry has given Garrett 10 years ? , he still wants more of this train cash ...

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
You're right about him not being fired. Jerry will get his money's worth and let him walk away at the end of the season.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I lost hope in Garrett. This team is young, and dumb. More times I feel the dumb is his fault, and not so much the talent.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
In 6-7 years, when his kids are a bit older, we’ll be talking about Romo ad OC and HC in Training. Which will be awesome.

I've been thinking this for a long while now. Please let this happen.

giphy.gif

Last edited: