Garrett's 3 year plan

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I really don't buy Garrett having a master plan.

How does 3 DCs in three years work into that plan?

I don't think Rob Ryan was "his guy". Kiffin......you don't bring in Maranelli to just have him be a defensive line coach. I personally believe that Maranelli was always meant to be our DC. He had a certain loyalty to Kiffin but there was no way Maranelli was going to coach a defensive line and not some day be our DC. I don't think Rob Ryan was apart of that plan but I do think Maranelli was even though Kiffin was our official DC.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones wanted everybody to know Jason Garrett had the right to add Scott Linehan, demote Bill Callahan and Monte Kiffin, and promote Rod Marinelli.

In speaking with ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Jones said, "you just have to let your head coach have that latitude."
I don't view Linehan as a compromise candidate between owner and general manager Jerry Jones and Garrett. I view Linehan as a win for Garrett. A big win. If he wasn't going to call the plays, then his guy was going to call the plays.
When I asked Garrett the other day if he worried about Callahan being upset at losing the ability to call plays and being denied the chance to speak with other teams, he did not launch into a soliloquy about Callahan's chops as an offensive line coach.
"You make a lot of different decisions for the team and you do it always in the best interest of the team," Garrett said. "You're trying to put guys in roles where they will thrive and be best for the team and this is no different than that. Bill is a pro. Bill's been doing this a long time. He understands transition and change and all those things. He along with the rest of the staff will embrace this and hopefully as a team we'll be better."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4723966/its-about-time-garrett-had-a-say-needs-more
Well if his drinking buddy says it...:D

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't think Rob Ryan was "his guy". Kiffin......you don't bring in Maranelli to just have him be a defensive line coach. I personally believe that Maranelli was always meant to be our DC. He had a certain loyalty to Kiffin but there was no way Maranelli was going to coach a defensive line and not some day be our DC. I don't think Rob Ryan was apart of that plan but I do think Maranelli was even though Kiffin was our official DC.

His guy or not, the inability to choose a defense and a defensive coordinator (the same can be said for playcaller as well) doesn't not demonstrate a master plan, rather, seeing what sticks. If it works now, then right on. But we can't lie to ourselves and say Garrett has known all along--when the previous three years under his control have been anything but planned.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...There was never talks of Garrett or Jerry wanting to run the ball more before the start of the 2014 season..

I'm not a big one for running the ball a lot, anyway, but this just isn't true. Jason's been talking about being a physical team and running the ball more since he's gotten here. And he's systematically gone about shedding older OLs, bringing younger players in, bringing in FA OGs in, and drafting multiple OLs at the top of the draft. He's also changed OL blocking schemes here in his short time to get the fit he's wanted. People just didn't believe him because they didn't see the evidence of us running the balls in disadvantageous situations. It's only been this season that we've been able to convert a third and short on the ground, or to run effectively against 8 man fronts, after all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His guy or not, the inability to choose a defense and a defensive coordinator (the same can be said for playcaller as well) doesn't not demonstrate a master plan, rather, seeing what sticks. If it works now, then right on. But we can't lie to ourselves and say Garrett has known all along--when the previous three years under his control have been anything but planned.

Right but if Jerry Jones wanted to Rob Ryan and forced him on Garrett than what? The master plan all along was to have a decent defense i'm sure. One thing that happened is this team was unreal with injuries. Last year was simply unreal having 20 different defensive linemen start for you.

I don't understand how this is Garrett's fault. Rob Ryan didn't work so they adapted and made a coaching change to the 4-3 Tampa 2. They bring in two ex-Super Bowl champion coaches in Maranelli and Kiffin and it failed last year. So you essentially demote Kiffin and bring up Maranelli? Why? Why would things change from Kiffin to MAranelli? Because Maranelli is a superior coach and everyone knew it.

I'm not saying Garrett knew all along this defense would be what it is but when it failed they made proper coaching changes and now the Aint's are on the verge of firing Rob Ryan, Kiffin is in a office somewhere and Maranelli is on our sidelines. Maybe its luck. But it looks like it was a plan to me IMO.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He clearly whiffed on the defensive plan. I don't think there's any denying that. He whiffed with Kiffin, too, afaic. Capers is the guy he reportedly wanted in the first place, too, fwtw. That said, now that it's settling down, it's good to see that we seem to have a guy and a scheme that we can win with now and still improve significantly over time.
The play calling thing is a bit different, because he hadn't been a HC before, so he didn't really have a baseline. If Jerry wanted him freed up and he ended up not being comfortable with Callahan and so made a change, that's reasonable. It certainly wasn't seamless, but it's not an indication that he didn't have a plan that would work, either.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Been discussed already, ad nauseum.

a. Shouldn't have abandoned the run - coaches make mistakes. Did you know that Denver blew a 24 point lead against New England last year? Same season. Up 24-0 at the half.
b. Dallas' defense was swiss cheese making the comeback that much easier.
c. There may have been some other issues as well, that I certainly can't speak to with certainty, such as audibling out of runs

But none of that has to do with a fundamental commitment to a long term vision for a physical, run heavy football team. In addition, Martin is a pretty big piece to this deal, and Frederick is a year further down the road, along with the rest of the line getting to gel together.

True coaches make mistakes. However, that wasn't the first time we have abandoned the run. Other issues factor in then. However, there is no concrete proof that we wanted to become a more run oriented offense along. If thats the case Garrett would have started running the ball more last year and thats not including the Green Bay game.

I believe they planned on fixing the oline 3 years ago. But to protect Romo first and foremost. Thus the reason they drafted Frederick, which I believe was credited to Jerry.

If Garrett was hell bent on fixing this oline from the get go where was the draft picks to show for it? Why did we pick up scrubs to fill in the void when we got rid of the 09 oline? Costa and Arkin doesn't count. In fact, we had an aweful oline for many years and yet we didn't put any emphasis in drafting top linemens in the draft.

Thus my assumption is as logical as anyone that knows football. Romo was the main reason why they decided they needed an oline and not because they wanted to run the ball. The unexpected effect just happens to be that we become pretty good at running the ball. It took Linehan to come here for this team to realize that. That isn't a bad thing. This isn't a knock on Garrett or Jerry at all and it shouldn't be. Just consider us lucky that all the pieces started to come together when we finally got Linehan on board and him knowing the true nature of this offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they wanted to get younger and better on the online. However I don't know if he had as much to do with us taking three online men in the first as the author indicates. Tyron yes. The other two.... Hard to give him credit of going into the draft with the idea of taking those two in the first.

I am not sure who they really wanted in the first during the Frederick draft. Not sure if it was a D linemen, safety or O linemen. Water the case I think Fred was a fall back option and not the main target going in or even the top 2-3 targets but that is speculation on my part.

What is not speculation on my part is that Martin was not their target going in. We don't know of if Donal, Barr or Shazier was the top target but we do know that Martin was not and we do know they picking Shazier as they had him or his agent on the phone when Pittsburgh picked him before they could. After that happened Jerry wanted Manziel but thankfully was talked into taking Martin.

So all though he probably was the driving force to get younger, to get some older vets with large contracts off the team, to revamp the other line... Not sure he should get a great deal of credit for us going on line in the first round for all three picks.
Yes, I don't believe that they were specifically targetting OL in the 1st in 2013 or 2014, but the structure they have in place kept them from forcing a need pick and they went BPA.

I believe that they've finally evolved in the draft process and gotten away from the emotially driven process that caused problems in the past.

It seems that this was the first year where Jerry really stepped back. The no Manziel pick and the cutting of DWare were signs of that.

I believe that the combination of Garrettt and Stephen Jones are responsible for getting legit people into the right positions. That includes Will McClay, Linehan, Callahan on OL and Marinelli as DC. Garrett never wanted Rob Ryan. If another Wade Philips type was here, Jerry would still be picking the assistants and drafting players based on advise from Lacewell.

cml750

Reaction score
We had the same personnel last year mind you minus Martin. Murray was gashing the Green Bay defense. So the personnel was there. Yet we abandoned the run. The question is why did we abandon the run?

I just don't get why people do not see this. Zack M. was an upgrade but he did not transform this line into what they are. Having an OC who is committing to the run is what is making us what we are. As you point out Garrett would abandon the run even when we had a lead (see Green Bay last year). Whether Garrett or Jerry is responsible for bringing in Linehan I don't care, but make no mistake, it is Linehan who is turning this offense into the running, clock eating machine they are becoming.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Plan?

Hmmm....

Tyron Smith? Yes, definitely. Team loved him before many were talking about Smith. Scouts and Hudson Houck were all over this. Even turned down a decent trade-down offer from Jacksonville to make sure they got Tyron.

Travis Frederick? No. They bailed out of the 18th pick when New Orleans took Kenny Vacarro at 15. Took highest rated 2nd rounder on their board in Frederick at 31 when no one else with a 1st round grade was available.

Zack Martin? Nope. They wanted Anthony Barr, Aaron Donald, Ryan Shazier, and then Martin. GM Jerry openly bragged that he wanted Johnny Football there so Martin was almost 5th choice.

They absolutely made the right choices in drafting Frederick and Martin but calling it "the plan" is a little self-serving.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That Mincey Ware comparison really got away from him.

I don't agree with moving Martin to RT next year, not sure why people keep suggesting doing this.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I think they wanted to get younger and better on the online. However I don't know if he had as much to do with us taking three online men in the first as the author indicates. Tyron yes. The other two.... Hard to give him credit of going into the draft with the idea of taking those two in the first.

I am not sure who they really wanted in the first during the Frederick draft. Not sure if it was a D linemen, safety or O linemen. Water the case I think Fred was a fall back option and not the main target going in or even the top 2-3 targets but that is speculation on my part.

What is not speculation on my part is that Martin was not their target going in. We don't know of if Donal, Barr or Shazier was the top target but we do know that Martin was not and we do know they picking Shazier as they had him or his agent on the phone when Pittsburgh picked him before they could. After that happened Jerry wanted Manziel but thankfully was talked into taking Martin.

So all though he probably was the driving force to get younger, to get some older vets with large contracts off the team, to revamp the other line... Not sure he should get a great deal of credit for us going on line in the first round for all three picks.
They were prolly after Tight Ends...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
The Plan?

Hmmm....

Tyron Smith? Yes, definitely. Team loved him before many were talking about Smith. Scouts and Hudson Houck were all over this. Even turned down a decent trade-down offer from Jacksonville to make sure they got Tyron.

Travis Frederick? No. They bailed out of the 18th pick when New Orleans took Kenny Vacarro at 15. Took highest rated 2nd rounder on their board in Frederick at 31 when no one else with a 1st round grade was available.

Zack Martin? Nope. They wanted Anthony Barr, Aaron Donald, Ryan Shazier, and then Martin. GM Jerry openly bragged that he wanted Johnny Football there so Martin was almost 5th choice.

They absolutely made the right choices in drafting Frederick and Martin but calling it "the plan" is a little self-serving.

You're right and wrong at the same time. The plan wasn't these players specifically, but when they drafted Frederick in the 1st their real targets were Cooper and Warmack. When there was a run on offensive linemen the Cowboys reacted.

If the Cowboys got their guy in the 1st this year, they probably would have drafted a guard later in the draft.

rcaldw

Reaction score
True coaches make mistakes. However, that wasn't the first time we have abandoned the run. Other issues factor in then. However, there is no concrete proof that we wanted to become a more run oriented offense along. If thats the case Garrett would have started running the ball more last year and thats not including the Green Bay game.

I believe they planned on fixing the oline 3 years ago. But to protect Romo first and foremost. Thus the reason they drafted Frederick, which I believe was credited to Jerry.

If Garrett was hell bent on fixing this oline from the get go where was the draft picks to show for it? Why did we pick up scrubs to fill in the void when we got rid of the 09 oline? Costa and Arkin doesn't count. In fact, we had an aweful oline for many years and yet we didn't put any emphasis in drafting top linemens in the draft.

Thus my assumption is as logical as anyone that knows football. Romo was the main reason why they decided they needed an oline and not because they wanted to run the ball. The unexpected effect just happens to be that we become pretty good at running the ball. It took Linehan to come here for this team to realize that. That isn't a bad thing. This isn't a knock on Garrett or Jerry at all and it shouldn't be. Just consider us lucky that all the pieces started to come together when we finally got Linehan on board and him knowing the true nature of this offense.

You can assume whatever you like :), you're wrong, but I'm ok with that. And I am glad that all the pieces have come together.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You're right and wrong at the same time. The plan wasn't these players specifically, but when they drafted Frederick in the 1st their real targets were Cooper and Warmack....

Yes, I apologize, they did want Cooper and Warmack but they went as expected, much higher than the Cowboys pick. They also wanted Vacarro. He was the last player they wanted and then bailed on the pick.

As far as Barr, Donald, and Shazier, it was widely reported that those were the players they wanted and in that order.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Yes, I apologize, they did want Cooper and Warmack but they went as expected, much higher than the Cowboys pick. They also wanted Vacarro. He was the last player they wanted and then bailed on the pick.

As far as Barr, Donald, and Shazier, it was widely reported that those were the players they wanted and in that order.

Again, as I said, it isn't about the specific players, but about dedicating resources in the draft towards the offensive line.

The plan wasn't let's spend 3 first round draft picks on offensive linemen. But getting offensive linemen in the 1st and 2nd, and maybe even 3rd round... yeah, that was the plan.

I have a lot of problems with Garrett's so called 3 year plan, as it basically completely ignored the defense, and in those three years we drafted yet another tight end in the 2nd round without the fortitude to use them as promised.

The front office has not been consistent under Garrett.

rcaldw

Reaction score
The Plan?

Hmmm....

I start to respond to this with a sigh, because I'm almost certain the point is lost. But here goes. To say the man had a plan to rebuild the offensive line, to MAKE IT A POINT OF EMPHASIS, is NOT the same as saying that he had Smith, Frederick and Martin targeted from the outset. Nor is it to say that they had any idea exactly how the draft would fall, or where particular players would be available. What it does mean is that when the opportunities presented themselves, given the POINT OF EMPHASIS, they were in a position to pull the trigger, and they made the right choices. I don't know what is so hard to get about that.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Again, as I said, it isn't about the specific players, but about dedicating resources in the draft towards the offensive line.

The plan wasn't let's spend 3 first round draft picks on offensive linemen. But getting offensive linemen in the 1st and 2nd, and maybe even 3rd round... yeah, that was the plan.

I have a lot of problems with Garrett's so called 3 year plan, as it basically completely ignored the defense, and in those three years we drafted yet another tight end in the 2nd round without the fortitude to use them as promised.

The front office has not been consistent under Garrett.

At least you understand the offensive line emphasis. Bravo to you and I mean that sincerely. I disagree with your criticism of the overall plan though. It has kind of come together like he/they envisioned.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I really don't buy Garrett having a master plan.

How does 3 DCs in three years work into that plan?

He's been making changes all along. If something doesnt work why stick with it? I dont think 3 DC's in three years proves or disproves anything in and of itself.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
At least you understand the offensive line emphasis. Bravo to you and I mean that sincerely. I disagree with your criticism of the overall plan though. It has kind of come together like he/they envisioned.

I'm critical of it, because I think they wasted the career of a player who could have been an all time great. If Romo ends up like Ware, I'll blame Jerry Jones and I'll blame Jason Garrett.

This front office hasn't invested in the defense properly since 2007. Too often they have focused on the offense at a cost to the defense.

Love having Terrance Williams, but at the time it was a luxury to get him, same with Escobar (especially since we aren't using him properly). Again with Devin Street.