Garrett's 3 year plan

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
jumbo0745 on the mothership's forum posted this earlier today (I'm trying to persuade him to join the zone) -

Guys like myself and Diehardblues have been talking about the plan for the last 3 seasons. For some of us, it has been obvious what Garrett has been doing, and we have been advising patience.

For others, he's just a clueless puppet who never has, and never will have any notion of a plan. The sudden success of the Cowboys is due to a couple of new guys on the coaching staff who didn't have anything to do with drafting talent the last 4 drafts. Apparently, a good coach can take ANYONE and turn them into champions. A good coach doesn't actually need talent. At least, that's the story some are trying to sell.

Others, like KSKboys have been preaching about the importance of building from the inside out for a while, and maybe, just maybe noticed that is exactly what Garrett has been trying to do since he took over as Head Coach. It's not like Garrett has been subtle. He has repeatedly stated his plan for those willing to listen. But I suppose the lack of instant success means Garrett never had a plan to start with.

After all, the top draft picks used by the 49ers from 2005 thru 2010 had NOTHING to do with Jim Harbaugh's instant success. Having all those top picks on the team when he showed up in 2011 was just a coincidence. It was Jim Harbaugh's genius alone that caused the 49ers to suddenly become good "overnight." The players had nothing to do with it.

Zman5

Reaction score
Just looking at the 2012 draft will tell you there was no "grand" plan or real commitment to build the OLine using high draft picks.

You would think if they had a plan to build an OLine like SF did, they at least would draft an Olinemen in every draft. Niners spent two 1st round picks on OLine in one year. We didn't even draft an OLinemen in 2012.

What kind of plan and commitment is that?

This is all revisionist BS. If our OLine was sucking this year, do you think JG will make a point about how he had this plan to use first rounders to build our OLine? I highly doubt it.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Just looking at the 2012 draft will tell you there was no "grand" plan or real commitment to build the OLine using high draft picks.

Decastro was the only guy worthy of a high draft pick, and 31 other teams also have plans in place.

Zman5

Reaction score
Decastro was the only guy worthy of a high draft pick, and 31 other teams also have plans in place.

Did you read the whole post? We didn't even draft one OLinemen. We were willing to use 2 high picks for a CB. Surely, if they had this great plan and commitment to build a OLine via the draft, you think they would at least pick one.

blindzebra

Reaction score
There are posters so invested in hating Garrett that any fact would be doubted. Any positive will get moved to someone else and all negatives get laid at his feet.

It is laughable.

Linehan is not the reason we are running more. He is a career 60/40 pass play caller. He just became the savior that suddenly went to 50/50 because some would rather stick a shotgun in their mouth and pull the trigger than give Garrett any credit.

As for that 2012 draft, it was a weak OL draft and I bet that the same ones complaining about the "plan" would be yelling to high heaven had we reached for OL instead of sticking to our board.

gdogg24

Reaction score
joker.jpg

Craig

Reaction score
Im not really a garrett hater, but did we hear about this plan 3 years ago? For that matter, did we ever hear it from the team?

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
As for that 2012 draft, it was a weak OL draft and I bet that the same ones complaining about the "plan" would be yelling to high heaven had we reached for OL instead of sticking to our board.

It was very weak, yet we signed 6 undrafted free agents, including Leary.

After how 2011 unfolded, an offensive minded coach focusing on the offense would of made no sense at all

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
There is no rueage. Just pointing out the facts. If you have a plan and a commitment to build something , you don't skip a year.

we didn't skip a year. We didn't find any value at our spot in the draft. We did sign 6 rookie lineman though.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Serendipity happens when your working your goals and the higher nature is working along with you>

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Im not really a garrett hater, but did we hear about this plan 3 years ago? For that matter, did we ever hear it from the team?

I'm not sure you can come out as an organization and say this is our three year or five year plan. Fans don't want to hear that (just ask the Zone) and you put yourself in a corner because if it doesn't work you can't sell the next plan to the base - especially if you're the GM for life.

I think we all have to agree that what is happening is a confluence or strategic decisions, some damn good coaching, players being put in positions to believe in themselves (and the coaches) and finally some good fortune. It's one thing to draft three number ones--

It's a whole other thing that they are kicking everybody's *** every single week and that included Leary and Free.

Zman5

Reaction score
we didn't skip a year. We didn't find any value at our spot in the draft. We did sign 6 rookie lineman though.

2012 Draft was clearly a defensive draft. There was no plan to draft Olinemen. If they did, they would have. Just like this year, we had no plan but we lucked into getting Martin. We were trying so hard to trade out when we couldn't get the defensive players we wanted. Lucky for us, no one wanted our spot.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It makes no sense talking about being a power running team before you could power run.

But we did talk about being a 12 personnel squad. Which a key component is being able to run effectively.

This was always in the works.

Thats the point. We really never talked about being a running team at all until this year. Yet the media seems to think we had this planned all along.

Funny you mentioned about the 12 personnel - a formation which we invested 3 high draft picks on Tightends and never really used to its fullest. Heck, Escobar can't even block and we want to say that we were going to run from that formation? I think not. Yet we wasted high picks on tightends more so than linesmen prior to 2013.

Action speaks louder than words. We invested high picks on linesmen so we can protect Romo. The media is writing stuff as though they knew it all along as if they have the inside scoop on this team. They don't. Thus I'm not buying their BS.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I think they wanted to get younger and better on the online. However I don't know if he had as much to do with us taking three online men in the first as the author indicates. Tyron yes. The other two.... Hard to give him credit of going into the draft with the idea of taking those two in the first.

I am not sure who they really wanted in the first during the Frederick draft. Not sure if it was a D linemen, safety or O linemen. Water the case I think Fred was a fall back option and not the main target going in or even the top 2-3 targets but that is speculation on my part.

What is not speculation on my part is that Martin was not their target going in. We don't know of if Donal, Barr or Shazier was the top target but we do know that Martin was not and we do know they picking Shazier as they had him or his agent on the phone when Pittsburgh picked him before they could. After that happened Jerry wanted Manziel but thankfully was talked into taking Martin.

So all though he probably was the driving force to get younger, to get some older vets with large contracts off the team, to revamp the other line... Not sure he should get a great deal of credit for us going on line in the first round for all three picks.

Jerry and Stephen Jones wanted Frederick to protect the investment they just made in Romo up the middle of the pocket.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Also wrong.

Murray had a good average but on much fewer carries. We also struggled to run on 3rd and short.

These are facts people just ignore.

Wrong it what? Facts are 3rd and short when Garrett was calling plays was a passing down, not run. So yes we struggled because we passed.

If you look at Murray's history his total average is 5 yards a carry even without a dominant oline. Which means that we have had a running game all these years but failed to exploit it.

Yes...facts that people fail to point out and ignore.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Thats the point. We really never talked about being a running team at all until this year. Yet the media seems to think we had this planned all along.

Funny you mentioned about the 12 personnel - a formation which we invested 3 high draft picks on Tightends and never really used to its fullest. Heck, Escobar can't even block and we want to say that we were going to run from that formation? I think not. Yet we wasted high picks on tightends more so than linesmen prior to 2013.

Action speaks louder than words. We invested high picks on linesmen so we can protect Romo. The media is writing stuff as though they knew it all along as if they have the inside scoop on this team. They don't. Thus I'm not buying their BS.

Do you know why we wanted to be a 12 dominant personnel team? I'll wait.

Wrong it what? Facts are 3rd and short when Garrett was calling plays was a passing down, not run. So yes we struggled because we passed.

If you look at Murray's history his total average is 5 yards a carry even without a dominant oline. Which means that we have had a running game all these years but failed to exploit it.

Yes...facts that people fail to point out and ignore.
Did you watch this team try and convert 3rd downs last year? And we largely struggled because we couldn't line up helmet on helmet and run it even though you knew that's what we wanted to do. And yes Murray has a good career average but largely because he always ran into good fronts (kill kill kill) and team's expected the pass (because we were good at passing and not good at running into a box expecting run). It's as if you didn't watch this team.

Oh this should help....

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At this point, I really don't care who takes credit for "the plan". As long as we keep winning, that is all that matters.