George Selvie

neosapien23

Reaction score
Agree on the Lissemore comments. The more he plays the more he looks like JAG

I can totally agree with this. I will go one further and say Lissemore needs to start showing something or he could get cut. Pendleton and Bass bring a different skill set that Lissemore doesn't have. Pendleton has good size and Bass has a great burst and motor. If Hayden keeps playing the way he is playing Lissemore could be the odd man out.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Can I just say how much I like the 'my bad' posts? No sweat.

His rookie year, he played well against the run. Brian Baker said internally that they thought he was a little bit ahead of schedule with his development overall, and that this season he needed to work on the finer points of his pass rush, which he reportedly had been doing a great job with, if only in OTAs. Then, pop.

In any event, I think the team loves him, so he'll get his chances coming back from injury. Especially with him parked on IR now. We've got much bigger fish to fry along the DL next season, anyway with all the pending FAs and Ratliff's cliff in his contract.

Fair enough. I am wrong on his assessment. If the team sees something that trumps my couch opinion. I stand by that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Two seasons ago, he did a nice job getting in with that first step and then a workmanlike job using that advantage to insert himself and break up plays. I thought he was going to come on and take another big step last year, but he didn't. Either he was hurt, or he just couldn't take the next step, but he's looked pretty pedestrian out there. I had high hopes for the guy, too, but at this point it looks to me like Bass has passed him and others are closing quick.

I agree. Spencer as an OLB had responsiblities outside of rushing the passer now as a DE he will not be asked to drop into coverage. I think Spencer gets blasted for his stats sack wise but it does not seem many take into account he was doing his job which was much more than a pass rusher

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As Cris Collinsworth mentioned during the game, Selvie has apparently finally hooked up with a defense that suits his strengths within Monte Kiffin's system. It would seem he was being utilized in 3-4 schemes that didn't mesh well with his capabilities. He certainly didn't appear to have any problems at all last night. Hopefully, he'll continue on that path and keep proving himself a valuable addition for the C'boys in the future. It does appear we finally got an enormous break for a change with this guy. It's about time -- we really were due. Evidently, the scouts did an excellent job in finding him. You've just gotta love the non-stop motor you get with him.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
anointing-oils.jpg

Break it out...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As Cris Collinsworth mentioned during the game, Selvie has apparently finally hooked up with a defense that suits his strengths within Monte Kiffin's system. It would seem he was being utilized in 3-4 schemes that didn't mesh well with his capabilities. He certainly didn't appear to have any problems at all last night. Hopefully, he'll continue on that path and keep proving himself a valuable addition for the C'boys in the future. It does appear we finally got an enormous break for a change with this guy. It's about time -- we really were due. Evidently, the scouts did an excellent job in finding him. You've just gotta love the non-stop motor you get with him.

Dungy said it 1st when being interview by Collingsworth.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
He certainly fits the bill of what Rod/Monte are looking for. Quick, athletic rush man. Our 1/2 DLs could look like

Spencer-Hatcher-Ratliff-Ware
Selvie-Lissemore-???-Wilber

And we can do some good things with that lineup. Another reassuring thing that I heard Dungy say last night, which I had been wondering about was while Tampa's Tampa 2 defense was predicated on a good 3-tech, ours will be predicated on Ware. I guess it came down to having one elite rusher, not trying to make a carbon copy of Tampa's early 2000s defense and throwing it over our personnel.

Don't forget Bass in your one/two lineup.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That being the case, it should be noted Dungy was 100% correct. Thanx for the catch.

Dungy knows the Tampa 2 very well. It is great to see how well Selvie has done since he arrived in Dallas. His 1st practice in camp he turned heads and continued to do so last night in a game situation. His arrow clearly is on the way up.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
He could be a very nice addition to the club if he can keep it up... Good depth!

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Thus far, the defensive line has answered every call. They dominated in both mini camp and training camp. The coaches have mentioned the good depth at the position. We justifiably questioned whether their strong play was the result of actual talent or a porous O-line. Last night, however, they dominated the Dolphins while the interior of the Cowboys O-line look solid.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Apparently after the Draft and Rookie signings there wasn't room for Selvie on the Bucs DL for Training Camp, Tampa just cut George in May.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Selvie

Pre-draft measureables
HtWtArm lengthHand size40-yd dash10-yd split20-yd split20-ss3-coneVertBroadBPWonderlic
6 ft 4⅜ in250 lb34½ in9⅜ in4.93 s1.67 s2.78 s4.63 s7.48 s30½ in9 ft 1 in24 repsx
All values from NFL Combine[6]
Selvie had "been labeled as a first-round talent with sixth- or seventh-round production." After his consensus All-America year in 2007, his production "tailed off considerably" in 2008 and 2009.[7]

St. Louis Rams
Selvie was drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL Draft. In 2010 he played all 16 games and finished with 21 tackles and 1.5 sacks. On September 3, 2011, Selvie was waived by the Rams.

Carolina Panthers
He was claimed off waivers by the Carolina Panthers on September 4, but was waived on October 5 after playing four games and recording two tackles.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Selvie was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on November 15, 2011 where he finished the season playing in seven games and making four tackles and one-half sack.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Selvie signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on April 2, 2013.[8] He was released on May 6, 2013.

Dallas Cowboys
Selvie signed with the Dallas Cowboys on July 24, 2013.[9] In the Hall of Fame Game against the Miami Dolphins, Selvie had an outstanding performance with 2 sacks in a Dallas Cowboys win, 24-20.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
The better Selvie plays. The worse the Spencer franchise tag looks.

We haven't seen the two of them yet to compare. The 4/3 just might be a great fit for Spencer also. He did play DE at Purdue.

Verdict

Reaction score
Selvie might just be a case of a really talented player becoming motivated enough to live up to his potential. If so, then the first round talent label might have been spot on.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I agree. Spencer as an OLB had responsiblities outside of rushing the passer now as a DE he will not be asked to drop into coverage. I think Spencer gets blasted for his stats sack wise but it does not seem many take into account he was doing his job which was much more than a pass rusher

Selvie has 2 sacks in a pre-season game and now he's better than Spencer.o_O

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Selvie has 2 sacks in a pre-season game and now he's better than Spencer.o_O

No I think Spencer has a very good chance at putting up a big year now that he no longer will be asked to drop into coverage he can now attack. I love what I have been hearing and now was able to see last night with Selvie and while I highly doubt he will start I think if he can continue to play at this level he is showing, this defense is going to make a lot of noise on the season.

Verdict

Reaction score
No I think Spencer has a very good chance at putting up a big year now that he no longer will be asked to drop into coverage he can now attack. I love what I have been hearing and now was able to see last night with Selvie and while I highly doubt he will start I think if he can continue to play at this level he is showing, this defense is going to make a lot of noise on the season.

I am still concerned that Spencer will get mauled in the run game ..... especially in short yardage situations against power running teams. I know he has been labeled as strong against the run, but he is being asked to do something much different than he did before. He could get mauled by an OL up close. He will not be attacking plays on the move in space like he did at OLB in the 3-4.

Verdict

Reaction score

I do think Spencer's sack numbers may rise. In fact they should. But that can't be the sole measure of his success in this defensive scheme.