George Selvie

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am still concerned that Spencer will get mauled in the run game ..... especially in short yardage situations against power running teams. I know he has been labeled as strong against the run, but he is being asked to do something much different than he did before. He could get mauled by an OL up close. He will not be attacking plays on the move in space like he did at OLB in the 3-4.

I think Spencer is ready for it, like Ware he added weight this off season to get ready for the 4-3. Spencer played 4-3 through out his college career. I have full confidence he can do the job.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Spencer is ready for it, like Ware he added weight this off season to get ready for the 4-3. Spencer played 4-3 through out his college career. I have full confidence he can do the job.

I hope you are right.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I think Spencer has a very good chance at putting up a big year now that he no longer will be asked to drop into coverage he can now attack. I love what I have been hearing and now was able to see last night with Selvie and while I highly doubt he will start I think if he can continue to play at this level he is showing, this defense is going to make a lot of noise on the season.

You can tell Marinelli's super excited about Anthony Spencer. I think he's in for a huge year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I do think Spencer's sack numbers may rise. In fact they should. But that can't be the sole measure of his success in this defensive scheme.

True but he has been ripped by fans since he got here about sacks depsite the fact he does his job which often drops him into coverage. He is not going to be asked to do that. He has added bulk to his frame and he is a 4-3 guy who had to make the switch to the 3-4. Going back to a defense he excelled at to even make the pros is not going to be a hard adjustment.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You can tell Marinelli's super excited about Anthony Spencer. I think he's in for a huge year.

Spencer is a good player who I think got a bad rap by fans. They complained he did not sack the QB they did not care that he was actually doing the job asked of him which was often putting him in coverage. I think this change is going to be very good for Spencer where under Kiffin system he is going to be able to attack

Verdict

Reaction score
True but he has been ripped by fans since he got here about sacks depsite the fact he does his job which often drops him into coverage. He is not going to be asked to do that. He has added bulk to his frame and he is a 4-3 guy who had to make the switch to the 3-4. Going back to a defense he excelled at to even make the pros is not going to be a hard adjustment.

It isn't going to be a hard adjustment from an intellectual standpoint. LOL. But keep in mind ..... NFL teams try to scheme to make you do things you aren't very good at. If they can maul him in close .... then they will do it.

Just like when teams figured out that T.O. couldn't beat press coverage anymore ... that is pretty much all he saw from then on out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It isn't going to be a hard adjustment from an intellectual standpoint. LOL. But keep in mind ..... NFL teams try to scheme to make you do things you aren't very good at. If they can maul him in close .... then they will do it.

Just like when teams figured out that T.O. couldn't beat press coverage anymore ... that is pretty much all he saw from then on out.

I think Spencer is a good player evidently better than many of the other fans. I think he has added the wieght he is not some little guy. Kiffin wants guys going to the QB and reacting to the run we have very solid LB behind them to give support. I feel very good about Spencer ability to do the job. If others don't that is no skin off me

Verdict

Reaction score
I think Spencer is a good player evidently better than many of the other fans. I think he has added the wieght he is not some little guy. Kiffin wants guys going to the QB and reacting to the run we have very solid LB behind them to give support. I feel very good about Spencer ability to do the job. If others don't that is no skin off me

I'm not saying he can't get the job done. I am saying that just because we say "Spencer can get it done with no problems" doesn't make it so. I hope Spencer excels at his job. It is much better for the team if he does. But this defensive line is slightly undersized at end. That shouldn't be an issue in the passing game at all. But it could very well be an issue in the running game. If it can be an issue .... then teams will make it so. LOL That is why the success rate of teams changes during the course of a season at teams get film on you and find find ways to attack you. If they experience success against you, teams follow that formula until you figure out a way to counter it.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Tell me someone didnt play great against a bad player and vanilla front, say it aint so. Now that that part is out of the way. I will say Selvie made the most of his opps and is pushing for a spot on the team. Okay he didnt look lost and he knew what to do. On those reasons id like to see if he can move to the next level. Am i going to get excited, no, can everyone else, of course, my opinion is only mine. Selvie did good, but this is fourth team, so he should know what hes doing. To be spot on about evaluating his night, I think this move back to the 4-3 was the correct move and even tho our team played against second string for most of the game and even though it wasnt prime time, what you are looking for is what we saw last night, players who want to be on this team and the team getting it. I saw a lot of gang tackle, a lot of being around the ball, a lot of motivated guys, and this is the time where the chips are tossed int eh air and we see where they fall and yes Selvie overall did good. Not basing it on his physical, but his mental and his awareness. He went after who he had to go after and did his job all night. He seemed to have played like he was playing the whole game and he wanted to be on that team.

Not for nothing but wasn't it mostly our 2's (Selvie) against their 1's and 2's? So isn't what he did, in that aspect a good thing and exactly what we wanted to see?

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Not for nothing but wasn't it mostly our 2's (Selvie) against their 1's and 2's? So isn't what he did, in that aspect a good thing and exactly what we wanted to see?

It's a Defense that can make Journeyman on the DL look good, Ware and Spencer will be fine. However with attacking rushmen Kiffen will have to have people that can tackle well in the back 7.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not saying he can't get the job done. I am saying that just because we say "Spencer can get it done with no problems" doesn't make it so. I hope Spencer excels at his job. It is much better for the team if he does. But this defensive line is slightly undersized at end. That shouldn't be an issue in the passing game at all. But it could very well be an issue in the running game. If it can be an issue .... then teams will make it so. LOL That is why the success rate of teams changes during the course of a season at teams get film on you and find find ways to attack you. If they experience success against you, teams follow that formula until you figure out a way to counter it.

I have faith in this staff and these players. Sorry but I like the system they are in and I think we have some very good talent on this defense and I think Spencer can do the job. I guess we will find out.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He did as well as reasonably could be expected. Four teams in four years, maybe he's finally figured it out or maybe he knows that this is his last stop before the unemployment line.

Either way, production matters and he delivered it.

KDM256

Reaction score
Loved with George Selvie brought to the game last night. I'm not going to put him inthe probowl just yet but the future looks promising for him in Big D.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
anointing-oils.jpg

Break it out...

Is it possible for someone to get praise for playing well without having this over used meme whipped out?

burmafrd

Reaction score

he averaged dropping back in coverage about 15% more than Ware did. So it was not THAT often. And on third downs he was rushing the passer all the time. So his lack of sacks were due mostly to the fact that he is just an above average pass rusher. Last year he almost doubled his sack high- and that is more likely an abberation than an indication of things to come. 1 year out of 6 does not a career make.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
he averaged dropping back in coverage about 15% more than Ware did. So it was not THAT often. And on third downs he was rushing the passer all the time. So his lack of sacks were due mostly to the fact that he is just an above average pass rusher. Last year he almost doubled his sack high- and that is more likely an abberation than an indication of things to come. 1 year out of 6 does not a career make.

That is fine, I'm not going to live with some jaded view all the time. If you guys want to fine. I'm tired of it. I plan on enjoying the season not wallow in some pity party. I think Spencer is a fine player if you don't then good for you.

Verdict

Reaction score
That is fine, I'm not going to live with some jaded view all the time. If you guys want to fine. I'm tired of it. I plan on enjoying the season not wallow in some pity party. I think Spencer is a fine player if you don't then good for you.

Why does someone thinking Spencer's year last year is an aberration make them jaded? Can't a reasonable person conclude that his performance prior to last year is more indicative as to who he is as a player than his performance last year ... in a single season?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why does someone thinking Spencer's year last year is an aberration make them jaded? Can't a reasonable person conclude that his performance prior to last year is more indicative as to who he is as a player is more accurate than his performance last year ... in a single season?

I don't know it has more to do with the person posting, when every single things is complaining. A player goes out and has a very good year instead of congradulation to the player it becomes this crap of well it was luck or an abberation. I'm use to hearing it however mostly by fans of other teams. Is it reasonable to think players improve and work hard during the off season to become better players? Naw can't be.

I'm more and more fed up with our own fans, because frankly all it is complainign and people acting as if they could do it themselfs when the fact is most could not play or coach at any fricken level yet know it all here.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't know it has more to do with the person posting, when every single things is complaining. A player goes out and has a very good year instead of congradulation to the player it becomes this crap of well it was luck or an abberation. I'm use to hearing it however mostly by fans of other teams. Is it reasonable to think players improve and work hard during the off season to become better players? Naw can't be.

I'm more and more fed up with our own fans, because frankly all it is complainign and people acting as if they could do it themselfs when the fact is most could not play or coach at any fricken level yet know it all here.

I get fed up with the constant negativity as much as you do. But equally annoying are the happy fans who are fail to be objectively critical of the team. I am not saying you fall into either category. All I am saying is that reasonable minds can differ after reviewing the same operative facts. Spencer could be either.

Spencer is a lightening rod on this forum for a reason. There are vast differences in the schools of thought on him. Both probably have a grain of truth to them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I get fed up with the constant negativity as much as you do. But equally annoying are the happy fans who are fail to be objectively critical of the team. I am not saying you fall into either category. All I am saying is that reasonable minds can differ after reviewing the same operative facts. Spencer could be either.

Spencer is a lightening rod on this forum for a reason. There are vast differences in the schools of thought on him. Both probably have a grain of truth to them.

Let me say I can look at the name of the person posting and know before I open it that it will be yet another slam on the team, player, coaches or Jerry. You don't get much positive feed back all is black and gloomy. Spencer is a lighting rod, he has not produced sacks yet last season when he was given more chances I think in large part because Ware was playing with 1 arm he produced. I have been critical at times of Spencer as well but never turn on a player who shows an improvement in his play. I do not dismiss it because I know player will put in the work they will try to improve as a player. Same for Costa as long as he strives to be a better player I will back him. I don't expect he will be a HOF player but when I see someone showing an improvment then I acknowledge. Thing I see people jump a player and never let up no matter what that player does because it is more important for them to be right than to acknowledge good play