George Selvie

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The two guys who are intriguing are Pendleton and Selvie. Pendleton simply because of his size and mobility, and Selvie obviously for his apparent decent ability to turn the corner. Could be solid players as backups who flash in limited snaps. That's all we could really hope for at this point.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
The two guys who are intriguing are Pendleton and Selvie. Pendleton simply because of his size and mobility, and Selvie obviously for his apparent decent ability to turn the corner. Could be solid players as backups who flash in limited snaps. That's all we could really hope for at this point.

nothing wrong with this, if you can rotate in a fresh pair of legs to maybe disrupt the flow of the opposing offense, im all for it. Depth will need good players and most players have to realize they will never be starters, but if they play good enough for the coaches to take notice, than the payout will come when injuries happen. Work hard and keep churning the roster.

jnday

Reaction score
Because of the name.

But yea, he is horrible. Can't believe Miami let Jake Long walk knowing this guy was his replacement. At least they spent 100 mil on that WR.

They didn't. Martin was supposed to be the LT. Thomas was projected to the guard position in the pros.

Verdict

Reaction score
Let me say I can look at the name of the person posting and know before I open it that it will be yet another slam on the team, player, coaches or Jerry. You don't get much positive feed back all is black and gloomy. Spencer is a lighting rod, he has not produced sacks yet last season when he was given more chances I think in large part because Ware was playing with 1 arm he produced. I have been critical at times of Spencer as well but never turn on a player who shows an improvement in his play. I do not dismiss it because I know player will put in the work they will try to improve as a player. Same for Costa as long as he strives to be a better player I will back him. I don't expect he will be a HOF player but when I see someone showing an improvment then I acknowledge. Thing I see people jump a player and never let up no matter what that player does because it is more important for them to be right than to acknowledge good play

Yes, that gets annoying. But nothing you say to those types of people will ever alter their perception no matter how much evidence you pile in front of them. It is an exercise in futility.

sacase

Reaction score
Be Nice is Selavie can switch to spencers side next year if he keeps playing well. He might fill a future hole.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Be Nice is Selavie can switch to spencers side next year if he keeps playing well. He might fill a future hole.

I actually like Selvie better on the strongside. He is plenty stout against the run and his pass rush would be even more effective against the less athletic RT's on that side. At the very least I think he will provide some good versatility along the line and another DE to put in the rotation. Actually he could provide a damn good pass rush. The guy is a natural pass rusher and he wouldn't be the first player who it took a few years for him to figure things out and to find a defensive system that fits him. Just look at James Harrison for instance. He didn't do squat until he was 30. He was cut by several teams and then he found the right scheme for him and he was a demon.

I'm not saying Selvie is going to be another James Harrison, but he sure looked like a great pass rusher in college and the system he is in here in Dallas is as perfect for him as he will ever find. If Marinelli and Kiffin can't get it out of him, then it can't be got out.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Remember Junior Glymph?

Yeah. You remember James Harrison?

To be fair, he is much more likely to be Glymph than Harrison... but you never know. It has happened.

And I liked Selvie coming out of college. I didn't even know who Glymph was.

Selvie has done it before (been a sack artist). If he's done it before, he can do it again.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I actually like Selvie better on the strongside. He is plenty stout against the run and his pass rush would be even more effective against the less athletic RT's on that side. At the very least I think he will provide some good versatility along the line and another DE to put in the rotation. Actually he could provide a damn good pass rush. The guy is a natural pass rusher and he wouldn't be the first player who it took a few years for him to figure things out and to find a defensive system that fits him. Just look at James Harrison for instance. He didn't do squat until he was 30. He was cut by several teams and then he found the right scheme for him and he was a demon.

I'm not saying Selvie is going to be another James Harrison, but he sure looked like a great pass rusher in college and the system he is in here in Dallas is as perfect for him as he will ever find. If Marinelli and Kiffin can't get it out of him, then it can't be got out.

Took Jason Hatcher awhile to come into his own, too. Different position, but similar idea.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Took Jason Hatcher awhile to come into his own, too. Different position, but similar idea.

You're right. Selvie was better in college than Hatcher ever was though.

I'm hoping that Selvie just never got in the right situation in the pros and now under Marinelli will blossom.

What I like about him is how strong the guy is. He plays a little like Strahan did. With decent quickness, but a lot of power and athleticism.

Again, not saying he is Strahan... just that he has similar physical traits. This defense is so simple in what they ask the DL to do, that he can really just let it all hang out.

DEMFAN

Reaction score
Tell me someone didnt play great against a bad player and vanilla front, say it aint so. Now that that part is out of the way. I will say Selvie made the most of his opps and is pushing for a spot on the team. Okay he didnt look lost and he knew what to do. On those reasons id like to see if he can move to the next level. Am i going to get excited, no, can everyone else, of course, my opinion is only mine. Selvie did good, but this is fourth team, so he should know what hes doing. To be spot on about evaluating his night, I think this move back to the 4-3 was the correct move and even tho our team played against second string for most of the game and even though it wasnt prime time, what you are looking for is what we saw last night, players who want to be on this team and the team getting it. I saw a lot of gang tackle, a lot of being around the ball, a lot of motivated guys, and this is the time where the chips are tossed int eh air and we see where they fall and yes Selvie overall did good. Not basing it on his physical, but his mental and his awareness. He went after who he had to go after and did his job all night. He seemed to have played like he was playing the whole game and he wanted to be on that team.

lets not be to fast to bust the bubble by stating he played against mediocre talent. because from the reportss he has been doing it in practice as well vs number ones..lets see next week. remember its a process

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
Selvie is playing with a great deal of hunger and confidence right now and he's starting to believe in himself. The fact that he's now being tutored by well established coaches like Kiffin and Marinelli, this system is apparently benefiting him. There was a buzz around him before Sunday's game and he came out and adding to the hype. I honestly don't think that we can compare him to anyone that we've seen the past few years in training camp. He's not a rookie. This guy was dominating the people in front of him and played well rushing the QB and was good against the run. I fully understand it's preseason, but let's not deduct too much from his solid all around effort last night.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
lets not be to fast to bust the bubble by stating he played against mediocre talent. because from the reportss he has been doing it in practice as well vs number ones..lets see next week. remember its a process

I can go with this as well.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Here's to hoping that between Selvie, Bass, Wilber, and Crawford, the Cowboys will find an adequate replacement for Crawford so that they can spen their resources finding a franchise 3-tech.

Nirvana

Reaction score
DE Crawford, Selvie, (Bass)
DT Bass, Pendleton

Seems like a good group right there, young and improving. Cheap, too.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
He was really impressive ran to the ball on every play didn't stop until the wistle was blown. DLine is going to be great.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Here's to hoping that between Selvie, Bass, Wilber, and Crawford, the Cowboys will find an adequate replacement for Crawford so that they can spen their resources finding a franchise 3-tech.

I'm don't know if getting Crawford to replace Crawford is the solution, but I am certainly willing to see how it plays out! :D