George Zimmerman charged with 2nd degree murder of Trayvon Martin **Read Post #142**

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Surprised they went with the murder charge. Manslaughter would have been almost a guranteed conviction, but odds are he'll get off on this. Just not enough to prove murder IMO.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
CowboyMike;4503047 said:
Whether he is guilty or not guilty, he still pulled the trigger.

He may not serve a sentence, but he'll have to pay a price for making that decision. It may not be right that he won't live normally among the general population, but it's going to be his consequence. It may not be completely his fault, but it is most definitely partially his fault.

I wouldn't want to carry the burden of having another man's blood on my hands, even in war.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
casmith07;4503099 said:
Posters, marches, protests, news tapes, etc. are all not pieces of evidence to be admitted at trial.

The justice system will work. As an aspiring and future member of the system itself, I know this to be true.

Don't mean to speak of your future --but that is horse crap. And I think Hos can vouch that I speak from a viewpoint backed up by 25 plus years experience.
And our system is one of the best ,,but believe me it is not foolproof

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;4502953 said:
Just my opinion, but he should plea bargain to Manslaughter and avoid a trial at all costs.

I wouldn't, unless the jury caves to public pressure or some unforseen piece of evidence emerges, there simply isnt enough to prove murder. Given the circumstances, the prosecution essentially has to prove both the act and the intent behind the actions that led to the act.

It's an uphill climb, and I'm shocked they went for a murder charge.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
casmith07;4503116 said:
I wouldn't want to carry the burden of having another man's blood on my hands, even in war.

Yet you want to work in the legal system --trust me -depending what area you plan on practicing in --you will make those kinds of decisions

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
casmith07;4503113 said:
Again - if that's the case, then why didn't 2 years of continuous negative media coverage of Casey Anthony result in a conviction in the very same state?

I'm not "idealist" - I'm realistic and have seen the process first hand. The system works. You can have the last word. I am not interested in attempting to have an objective discussion of the criminal justice system with anyone far too emotionally invested in the defendant or the victim to have a rational discussion.

LOL. Emotionally invested? Really? I know neither of them. I just want justice for Trayvon and Zimmerman. You think the system is perfect. I bet OJ's ex wife and Ron Goldman would have a whole different view that you.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
justbob;4503117 said:
Don't mean to speak of your future --but that is horse crap. And I think Hos can vouch that I speak from a viewpoint backed up by 25 plus years experience.
And our system is one of the best ,,but believe me it is not foolproof

He's too emotionally invested in his view. :laugh2:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;4503073 said:
Sorry, but the first line here is absolute bunk.

There have been injustices in the justice system in years past, but the integrity of the trial process and justice system these days is high.

Additionally, all of these things you're saying should have rang true with the Casey Anthony case, and they did not. She walked out of the jail, and has not been killed.

Remove the emotion from it, if at all possible, and look at this as objectively as possible. You're allowing your feelings on the matter to cloud your judgment and reason, and it's not showing up particularly well here.

As has been pointed out many times by many people, this is not comparable to Casey Anthony. A race-based killing is much, much more serious than killing your child in the warped perception of modern American society. Anything race-related evokes an unmatched emotional response in this country.

If he gets off on the murder charge, and I believe he probably will IF the trial process is fair, he'll be in very real danger for the rest of his life.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
casmith07;4503116 said:

If someone broke into my house and threatened my family or me, they would die in a very short time and I would go right back to sleep after they cleaned up the mess. This is just an attack on self defense laws anyway. Just look at what Bloomberg said today.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4503133 said:
If someone broke into my house and threatened my family or me, they would die in a very short time and I would go right back to sleep after they cleaned up the mess. This is just an attack on self defense laws anyway. Just look at what Bloomberg said today.

Human psychology says you wouldnt get over it quite that easy, but I agree with the general sentiment.

Sometimes people force you to kill them. Not saying that's what happened here as I believe Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, but nobody should be made to feel guilty over killing someone in self-defense.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4503142 said:
Human psychology says you wouldnt get over it quite that easy, but I agree with the general sentiment.

Sometimes people force you to kill them. Not saying that's what happened here as I believe Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, but nobody should be made to feel guilty over killing someone in self-defense.

I would feel bad for the guys family. But not for him and frankly, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. As for Zimmerman, I, unlike most who weighed in on it have no opinion on whether he is guilty or not of anything. He may have killed him in cold blood and it may be a flat out case of self defense. No one knows all the facts yet and making a judgement is denial of due process.

This is what I was saying earlier about him not getting a fair trial. Someone makes up their mind he is guilty before hearing the the trial ho can that be fair.

If after the trial and if it is a fair one, which again. I doubt he can get, he is found guilty, he needs to be put away for life since they aren't going after him for 1st degree murder.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4503142 said:

That is the problem Slant --you are more objective than most and yet you have already decided he was guilty of manslaughter.. And you have not seen a bit of evidence....I don't know what he is, but he does not deserve to be tried the way he is. And he has been tried

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
justbob;4503177 said:
That is the problem Slant --you are more objective than most and yet you have already decided he was guilty of manslaughter.. And you have not seen a bit of evidence....I don't know what he is, but he does not deserve to be tried the way he is. And he has been tried

You should read what some of these neanderthals (Not talking about Slant here) on Twitter are saying they hope happens to Zimmerman in jail. Go to Twitchy .com and see what has been linked. A shame they are doing this to the justice system. There is not a corner of this country where he could get a fair trial.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4503131 said:
As has been pointed out many times by many people, this is not comparable to Casey Anthony. A race-based killing is much, much more serious than killing your child in the warped perception of modern American society. Anything race-related evokes an unmatched emotional response in this country.

If he gets off on the murder charge, and I believe he probably will IF the trial process is fair, he'll be in very real danger for the rest of his life.

At what point did I say this was a race based killing?

Don't put words in my mouth.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
justbob;4503177 said:

I said that I believe, given the current state of affairs, he would get convicted of manslaughter. There is enough "evidence" I believe to show that his poor judgement let to Trayvon's death, which is all that would need to be shown to convict on that charge.

That could very well change however, and I certainly don't think he will be convicted of murder. I think the prosecution probably caved to public outcry and went against their better judgement, because this charge forces them to PROVE beyond all doubt that he entered into the situation with malicious intent and PROVE that he the final act was still based solely in malice. If they can't prove both, he walks assuming a fair jury.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4503133 said:

And in your home, you would be well within your rights to shoot to kill, depending on your state of residence.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
casmith07;4503187 said:

He didn't say you said that. But it has become that by the you know whos of the race baiting world that created this mess. And oh by the way, Zimmerman isn't white. I would think the genius' who came up with all of this would at least get their lies straight.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;4503187 said:

I never said you did, nor does it matter if you did. The media has deemed this a race-related crime and all of the coverage would have you believe that the majority of black Americans agree. What you and I personally believe is irrelevant.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4503049 said:
Pulling a trigger doesn't automatically make you guilty of a crime.

I didn't say that.

I said he could very well be not guilty of the crime. I'm open to the fact that he's innocent.

But regardless of the verdict, there are consequences to pulling the trigger. Even if he is innocent, there are reactions to his action. Just like every decision that anyone makes any day.

He chose to pull the trigger, whether he will pay for it in jail or in some other aspect of his life, he's going to pay for it. I'm not saying it is right, I'm just saying it is fact. Even if Trayvon had beaten Zimmerman senseless and Zimmerman killed him for pure self defense, and he had no other choice but to die himself, he would still have to pay for it.

I'm not talking about the court of law, now. I'm not talking about our system. I'm simply talking about life and the ways of the world. There's a consequence for the decision to take a human life, whether it is right or wrong.

EDIT: And I'll leave you with Cas's words on the matter to cement my point...

casmith07;4503116 said: