Twitter: Gerald McCoy Injured - out for season **merged**

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Petelur tendons are a tough recovery. Jeez that video, idk why are they doing those weird drills, when does a DT need to backpedal or block. Plus they have those plastic structures you have to run under like a freaking obstacle course. Looks like a fluk injury for someone on a game show. Smh

he’s got a lot of football miles on that frame.

probably had a partial tear and kept it hidden. Who knows.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Petelur tendons are a tough recovery. Jeez that video, idk why are they doing those weird drills, when does a DT need to backpedal or block. Plus they have those plastic structures you have to run under like a freaking obstacle course. Looks like a fluk injury for someone on a game show. Smh
yes and to do the weird stuff early is even worse. Some of the things coaches have players do in practice is bizarre and serves no real
purpose.

That said, if he was going to have this injury , it is better to have it now so they can look hard at the other players who might play that
position, and then they might pick up one from another teams cuts also later. Either way they have a month to adjust to this.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Normally, he's not going to even fall over from that, but sometimes things just give out unexpectedly. It doesn't look like anything McCoy hasn't done a million times other than having the tendon rupture.

I was excited about adding him this offseason. I know he's not the same player he was, but we've gone through so many average to below-average players at that position that I was looking forward to skilled, if declining, player.

Now, we're back to average (Crawford) while crossing our fingers that Hill or Gallimore can be above average (when we don't even know if they will be average).
If you look at the video Woods steps on his left foot which causes him to lose balance and plant hard with his right leg to try and stop himself from falling

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This is a tough loss due to McCoy's ability to play all 3 downs and if needed anywhere along the DL. Not that he's the dominant force he was years ago but he was an upgrade. Going forward, the team has enough to manage this loss IF everything goes right. Cant really afford any additional significant injuries and most importantly Dontari Poe needs to remain healthy giving us 30 productive snaps/game.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know if this was meant in jest or a ridiculously juvenile remark. I'll let you tell me.
McCoy is 32 y/o. Injuries like the one he suffered are more likely to happen. The fact he doesn't have a huge history of missing games due to injury doesn't mean anything as we just found out. Your comment was dumb at best.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCoy is 32 y/o. Injuries like the one he suffered are more likely to happen. The fact he doesn't have a huge history of missing games due to injury doesn't mean anything as we just found out. Your comment was dumb at best.

I guess the answer is the latter of the options I provided.
2013-01-10-Dummy2.png

Of course injuries become somewhat more likely with age, but lots of guys play at 32 years old without anything like this kind of injury, or any kind of injury that would cost a full season. Teams would miss out on a lot of talent if they simply ignored strong players at a good price based on the assumption of a season ending injury early in the year. They can only go by history and a thumbs up from the docs that do the physicals.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I guess the answer is the latter of the options I provided. Of course injuries become somewhat more likely with age, but lots of guys play at 32 years old without anything like this kind of injury, or any kind of injury that would cost a full season. Teams would miss out on a lot of talent if they simply ignored strong players at a good price based on the assumption of a season ending injury early in the year. They can only go by history and a thumbs up from the docs that do the physicals.
That's a strawman argument. No one is arguing with the points you are arguing, dummy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's a strawman argument. No one is arguing with the points you are arguing, dummy.
What's with the dummy thing? Shouldn't third grade classes be back in session by now?

'The obvious point was that you are making a hindsight assessment that he isn't durable. Or did you really just to intend to tell us what we already knew about him being out for the year?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've never seen so many quitters than I have among CZ posters. :facepalm:

What do you mean by quitting? Quitting what?

Gerald McCoy was the big offseason FA signing. He was the key to the pass rush and push in the middle of the line. Unless of course you just thought this was some ho hum signing, which it wasnt. It also gave the Dline the key to its flexibility with the 3-4 alignments.

Monster Monster loss from what this defense had as potential. With McCoy anchoring the middle, this was easily a top defensive line in the NFL. Not to mention his leadership was sorely sorely needed. Without McCoy who is going to play? A rookie? The scrub from last year? Are we going to depend on Crawford?

This line just took a huge hit and so did the defense. That is just the reality of it. Monster disappointment.

Talking of giving up is what some moron says because he doesn't want to acknowledge the severity of what happened.

Lets just be thankful that we added Griffin or the Dline would be worse than last year. Only solace would be if Aldon Smith can be a complete monster and come into the middle on passing downs. But either way this really hurts the potential of the defense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
yes and to do the weird stuff early is even worse. Some of the things coaches have players do in practice is bizarre and serves no real
purpose.

That said, if he was going to have this injury , it is better to have it now so they can look hard at the other players who might play that
position, and then they might pick up one from another teams cuts also later. Either way they have a month to adjust to this.
So you're an NFL coach? Who knew.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What's with the dummy thing? Shouldn't third grade classes be back in session by now?

'The obvious point was that you are making a hindsight assessment that he isn't durable. Did you really just to intend to tell us what we already knew about him being out for the year?
It would be a hindsight assessment if I didn't note that he is a season-ending injury waiting to happen when he first signed. You didn't do that, I did. So dummy, shut up and move on. Maybe McCoy can contribute next season.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It would be a hindsight assessment if I didn't note that he is a season-ending injury waiting to happen when he first signed. You didn't do that, I did. So dummy, shut up and move on. Maybe McCoy can contribute next season.

Site your sources. Find your original post where you said that

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the time he was signed he had only missed an average of 1 game per year over his past 8 years. There was no basis for saying that then other than making a blanket assessment that all players over 30 are a season ending injury waiting to happen. I don't put a lot of stock into blanket generalizations like that.

kskboys

Reaction score
And theeeeeeeere's the downside to signing older players. Happens. Luckily we were smart enough to draft his replacement in Galley. If Galley isn't ready to play a lot right now, it won't be long until he will be.

kskboys

Reaction score
What do you mean by quitting? Quitting what?

Gerald McCoy was the big offseason FA signing. He was the key to the pass rush and push in the middle of the line. Unless of course you just thought this was some ho hum signing, which it wasnt. It also gave the Dline the key to its flexibility with the 3-4 alignments.

Monster Monster loss from what this defense had as potential. With McCoy anchoring the middle, this was easily a top defensive line in the NFL. Not to mention his leadership was sorely sorely needed. Without McCoy who is going to play? A rookie? The scrub from last year? Are we going to depend on Crawford?

This line just took a huge hit and so did the defense. That is just the reality of it. Monster disappointment.

Talking of giving up is what some moron says because he doesn't want to acknowledge the severity of what happened.

Lets just be thankful that we added Griffin or the Dline would be worse than last year. Only solace would be if Aldon Smith can be a complete monster and come into the middle on passing downs. But either way this really hurts the potential of the defense.
Agree.

Galley will surprise you.