Twitter: Giants coach is challenging our OL?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hankins is gone. I see them taking a step back but we will see.

Of course, Leary is gone, too, and we're also breaking in a new left tackle. Not sure if the OL will take a step back because of this, but I can't see us being as strong initially as we might be by the end of the season. I won't be surprised if Cooper's run blocking against those big DTs leaves a little to be desired.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Of course, Leary is gone, too, and we're also breaking in a new left tackle. Not sure if the OL will take a step back because of this, but I can't see us being as strong initially as we might be by the end of the season. I won't be surprised if Cooper's run blocking against those big DTs leaves a little to be desired.

Free is gone too. He struggled badly last year. Cooper is a better LG than what Free gave us at RT last year.

VACowboy

Reaction score
They should talk. They beat our OL every time they play them. Hankins is gone but Tomlinson, the best run stuffing DT in the draft, was added.

It's time for our OL to do something about it.

Hankins was also the guy who pushed the pocket. Dallas still had more sacks than New York did last season. Just saying.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Last season the Giants did a great job stopping the run and challenged Dak to beat them.

The Cowboys ended up 0-2.

I hope the offensive line gets their dander up a little for this one.
Exactomundo. I thing Giants defense is probably better this year, with a little more experience and seasoning. Watch out for Landon Collins, he's gonna be a probowler this year too.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
And in Atlanta, they are saying "All backs run the same when there's nowhere to run ... because the nutjob offensive coordinator keeps calling pass plays even though we are running the ball down their throats"

Actually, what he meant to say was "All backs run the same [as NYG RBs] when there's nowhere to run [like with the NYG OL]."

What the Giants coach said was true. Football starts with the running game. Defenses, first and foremost, have to stop the run and offenses have to establish the run. Football 101.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last season the Giants did a great job stopping the run and challenged Dak to beat them.

The Cowboys ended up 0-2.

I hope the offensive line gets their dander up a little for this one.

Right. If you put it on Prescott, the supposed rookie of the year and (LOLz!) MVP candidate, to actually be a quality player and win the game he will fail every time. That's a good point, Mike.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Giants own the Cowboys offensive line. They have the right to talk. No team plays the Cowboys tougher than the Giants.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Giants did a good job last year no doubt, but Zeke ran for 86 in the 1st half of game 2 last year I thought. 107 for the game?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants should go into that game Sunday night expecting to dominate the line of scrimmage. Just another game against the Cowboys. Parcells would be needling our OL all week about this. The sissy we have now is probably more concerned with safety and feelings.

It'll be up to Prescott to win the game.

So hopefully we can bounce back in week 2.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Free is gone too. He struggled badly last year. Cooper is a better LG than what Free gave us at RT last year.

I think that's arguable at this point. I don't even know if Collins at least at the beginning of the year will give us what Free gave us at RT last year, especially as a run blocker. Free pushed people around in the run game and there were plays in the preseason where I saw Collins not get control of his man and allow him to shed to make the tackle against the run.

I'm still wary of Cooper at this point, while I feel there are traits Collins shows that should ultimately make him a better overall RT than Free. It won't take much for him to be better as a pass blocker, if some of the issues he had in camp don't pop back up, but he's going to have to step it up some in run blocking.

The reason I'm wary of Cooper is that Leary was a powerful player and Cooper doesn't seem to play with the same kind of power. I think the Giants will be a good test for whether he can get movement or hold his ground. If he can't, I won't be surprise to see us replace him with Green, who shows more power.

Good tests for both starters right off the bat with Collins getting JPP and Cooper likely having to block Harrison one-on-one some.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The difference is they replaced Hankins with a quality piece in Tomlinson. We replaced Leary with slop.

VACowboy

Reaction score
And in Atlanta, they are saying "All backs run the same when there's nowhere to run ... because the nutjob offensive coordinator keeps calling pass plays even though we are running the ball down their throats"

Actually, what he meant to say was "All backs run the same [as NYG RBs] when there's nowhere to run [like with the NYG OL]."

What the Giants coach said was true. Football starts with the running game. Defenses, first and foremost, have to stop the run and offenses have to establish the run. Football 101.

I think what he meant was, my defense is so good that the Dallas running backs will have nowhere to run.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think that's arguable at this point. I don't even know if Collins at least at the beginning of the year will give us what Free gave us at RT last year, especially as a run blocker. Free pushed people around in the run game and there were plays in the preseason where I saw Collins not get control of his man and allow him to shed to make the tackle against the run.

I'm still wary of Cooper at this point, while I feel there are traits Collins shows that should ultimately make him a better overall RT than Free. It won't take much for him to be better as a pass blocker, if some of the issues he had in camp don't pop back up, but he's going to have to step it up some in run blocking.

The reason I'm wary of Cooper is that Leary was a powerful player and Cooper doesn't seem to play with the same kind of power. I think the Giants will be a good test for whether he can get movement or hold his ground. If he can't, I won't be surprise to see us replace him with Green, who shows more power.

I disagree that Free was pushing DE around. He was mobile nad got on LB and the like and pushed them around but that is not saying much. Free has always struggled with power. Speed to power moves ragdoll him far too often for my tastes.

Leary was not consistent on his sustain either for all the accolades sent his way. Quickness gave him fits. When he turned and lost his base it was game over. I think you underestimate Cooper's power. He stands up DT just fine.

I get that you are uncertain but by that same token I am certain that Free was bad last year. You can take that same uncertainty and apply it to Hankins replacement as well.