Giants winning one against Philly is the most realistic path to winning the division

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well yes, if they don't lose to the Giants, we need them to lose to Seattle or the Cards (or both) and we have to beat Miami and Buffalo. In this scenario, we can only lose to Detroit (because it's not a common game).

If we lose to Miami or Buffalo, then we lose the common games tiebreaker unless Philly loses to BOTH Arizona and Seattle.
I have been saying (wrongly) that we need them to lose to Seattle while we could lose to Buffalo or Miami, but looking at it again, that's not true. Like you said, we would lose the common games tiebreaker, which comes before the conference record tiebreaker. You are correct that we could only lose to Detroit in that scenario to win that tiebreaker. So if Seattle wins next week, we have to beat both Buffalo and Miami to

Cowboyny

Reaction score
As it stands, we are leading the division due to having more divisional wins, but still only have a 25% chance to win the East.

After h2h record, philly owns all of the tie-breakers and they have a way easier schedule than we do. Ima go on the record and say winning out wont happen. This team isnt the same on the road and it will be tough to deal with Miami’s speed.

Now if the Giants can somehow win a game against Philly, we will be afforded the ability to drop one of these upcoming games (sans the Commanders) and still win the East.

Now the big question is, can the Giants beat them?
Giants are terrible, playing with a QB who belongs more in a spring league. Seattle maybe Arizona are our best hopes, but still don't think the Cowboys will run the table with their schedule.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow, after reading some responses, I can’t believe many still can’t grasp tie-breaking scenarios. I even saw the head-to-head changing on future results :muttley:

Here is a hint: the H2H tiebreaker is over, finished and is no longer relevant. Next up is division games which Dallas holds…..for now. The most likely results will be both Dallas and Philly winning their remaining division games. The end result? Tied again and moving on to common games. This is where the rubber meets the road and favors the Eagles.

It is imperative that Philly loses in Seattle and Dallas wins in Buffalo/Miami. If these three things happen, Dallas wins the division based on common games(assuming Dallas wins out). Of course, it can go even deeper than that, depending on which games are lost/won.

Lets assume Dallas loses one of the next two games here…..Dallas would need Philly to lose one of the Giants games(no matter what happens in Seattle). That would keep the tiebreaker at division games and Dallas wins the division.

So, which scenario seems more likely:

#1 - Seattle beats Philly and Dallas wins out
#2 - The Giants beat Philly once and Dallas can lose only one more game(not to Wash)

I don’t like either scenario but we shall see what happens. There are other scenarios like can only lose to Detroit, etc, etc but the above two are the most realistic, not probable but realistic and all of this is assuming that they both end up with the same record. Philly can crash from here and/or Dallas loses both of the next two games. A lot has to happen for Dallas to win the division, not impossible but a lower probability. We will know for sure by Christmas.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Wow, after reading some responses, I can’t believe many still can’t grasp tie-breaking scenarios. I even saw the head-to-head changing on future results :muttley:

Here is a hint: the H2H tiebreaker is over, finished and is no longer relevant. Next up is division games which Dallas holds…..for now. The most likely results will be both Dallas and Philly winning their remaining division games. The end result? Tied again and moving on to common games. This is where the rubber meets the road and favors the Eagles.

It is imperative that Philly loses in Seattle and Dallas wins in Buffalo/Miami. If these three things happen, Dallas wins the division based on common games(assuming Dallas wins out). Of course, it can go even deeper than that, depending on which games are lost/won.

Lets assume Dallas loses one of the next two games here…..Dallas would need Philly to lose one of the Giants games(no matter what happens in Seattle). That would keep the tiebreaker at division games and Dallas wins the division.

So, which scenario seems more likely:

#1 - Seattle beats Philly and Dallas wins out
#2 - The Giants beat Philly once and Dallas can lose only one more game(not to Wash)

I don’t like either scenario but we shall see what happens. There are other scenarios like can only lose to Detroit, etc, etc but the above two are the most realistic, not probable but realistic and all of this is assuming that they both end up with the same record. Philly can crash from here and/or Dallas loses both of the next two games. A lot has to happen for Dallas to win the division, not impossible but a lower probability. We will know for sure by Christmas.

If we had Miami and Buffalo at home and the Lions and Commanders on the road, id feel a lot more confident we win out

tomokawan

Reaction score
If NYG can beat Philly, we still must win that Washington game. To keep us ahead in the division games.
Otherwise, Philly still will hold a better Conference record. Depending the common games which I think we would still be tied. If they lose and we win those divisional games.

NYG beating them would be great. Also if Seattle can pull off a win, or better yet, Arizona, an underrated team can go into Philly and win. That may seem impossible, and highly improbable. But we seen how games can go all to often.
Philly has NY's number. No way Philly loses to them.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Philly is not good. They had a horseshoe tushpushed and lucked out in a bunch of 1 score games.

They are the 2022 Vikings. They’re not winning out.

endersdragon

Reaction score
They probably aren’t wining out according to odds. But neither are we.
Dolphins are the only team I could see beating us, Bills suck this year and weather shouldn't be a factor, Lions are going downhill fast, and the less said about the Foreskins the better.

sacase

Reaction score
Seattle is going to beat them next week. Seattle is very phsycial and the Eagles defense is bottom of the leauge bad.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Dolphins are the only team I could see beating us, Bills suck this year and weather shouldn't be a factor, Lions are going downhill fast, and the less said about the Foreskins the better.
We have a better chance against Miami than the Bills.

Josh Allen is by far the best QB we will have faced all year and they are in desperation mode to make the playoffs

AyeAtey

Reaction score
Philly at Seattle might not be a walk in the park; Seahawks are wounded and could be dangerous. They've got playoffs aspirations themselves.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants beating the Eagles is more likely than us winning out
That's our best chance. As unlikely as it seems, division rivalries aren't always determined by which team is better that year. NY has 2 shots at playing the spoiler for us. Let's just hope they're more pissed at Philly than they are with us.