News: Gil Brandt passes away

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This hurts badly. He was the last of the original founding fathers of our Dallas Cowboys. :'( I'm glad Mr. Gil Brandt at least got to experience being inducted into both the Dallas Cowboys Ring Of Honor (2018) and the NFL Hall Of Fame (2019).

Thank you for all you did to help create the Dallas Cowboys, put them in the hearts and minds as their favorite team of so many around the world, and help build them into America's Team! Rest In Peace, Mr. Gil Brandt...

:starspin:

plasticman

Reaction score
Gil Brandt pioneered the science of player evaluation. He was the "secret weapon" this franchise used to produce two decades of dominance that will never be repeated again.

Computers allowed Brandt to design a deeper system of evaluation with far more variables that other teams were not taking into consideration. For them, scouting was subjective and anecdotal. They would use contacts and relationships to evaluate talent.

Gil Brandt based his evaluation system by grading those traits that would make a good football player like quickness, strength, balance, mental alertness, etc.

Brandt wasn't looking for the best or worse players. He wanted to find the "gems" in between.

This is the best article I have found on Gil Brandt.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/brandt-computer-helped-revolutionize-scouting

The NFL lost one if it's true pioneers today.

R.I.P..

CowboyMort

Reaction score
This man had so much knowledge. Truly one of the greatest in the executive ranks in NFL history. I always enjoy listening to what he had to say.
His recall on events that happened decades ago would amaze me. Up until fairly recently he was on Sirus/XM radio. I was astounded at how old he was and his memories of something like, "I sat in his parents living room in 1975 for five minutes talking about football" or something like that. We lost a good one.

fredp22

Reaction score
started with the Cowboys in 1960 when the team was formed until Jerry bought the team in 1989. One of the originals. We will all miss him.

mldardy

Reaction score
Guy had Emmitt as the 11th best running back of all time and **** on Dwayne Haskins immediately after his death.

When I became a Cowboy fan it was towards the latter half of his tenure with the Cowboys in the early 80s and gladly booted out of the door by Jerry.

Almost everyone will have nice things to say about him but I really don't. HOF executive but seemed very bitter old man.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This goes down right up there with when we lost the likes feature as the saddest in Zone history.

rags747

Reaction score
Always loved Gil’s story’s about various players, you can see why he was so successful in acquiring talent for our Boys. RIP to the Godfather Mr Gil Brandt.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
What an absolute legend, is what he is. The guy was still sharp as a tack too. I was so amazed at the level of details he knew about even current players. If you wanted to know what there is to know about a player, see Gil, period. There will never be anyone like him for sure.

RS12

Reaction score
RIP Gil. Thanks for all you did to make Américas team what it was.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm so glad we got Gil Brandt into the NFL Hall of Fame.

Gil was the last of the three major figure heads of the 70's Dynasty (Landry, Tex) and a pioneer that helped put Cowboys on the map as " America's Team " ..FOREVER !!

RIP Gil