Gil Brandt predicts Week 14-15 return for Jaylon Smith

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think David Helman brought it up to him after last weeks tweet. He said everyone is hanging on to any update of his, so cryptic messages will only give false hope, and Jaylon said he agreed and said he shouldn't assume everyone knows what he's talking about, pretty much apologizing for it. The fact that he's tweeting again like this either means he's happy with progress (which should make us happy), or he's trolling, but that doesn't seem to be his character. On all accounts he's an awesome, sincere and friendly dude.

Agreed, I remember the same thing.
He is a smart guy and probably knows that everyone is hanging on to any update since he was signed.
Got to read this as a good sign and knowingly driving fans into a frenzy...

Last edited:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Know that is just a highlight reel but I love how when he hits people they don't get any extra yards!

And the coverage ability.......

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What was the timing with the NFI and practice before having to go to IR again?

6 weeks until he is eligible to return to practice. Has to return to practice by 8 weeks or go on IR. Once returned to practice 2 more weeks before he can be put on active roster or placed on IR.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I think David Helman brought it up to him after last weeks tweet. He said everyone is hanging on to any update of his, so cryptic messages will only give false hope, and Jaylon said he agreed and said he shouldn't assume everyone knows what he's talking about, pretty much apologizing for it. The fact that he's tweeting again like this either means he's happy with progress (which should make us happy), or he's trolling, but that doesn't seem to be his character. On all accounts he's an awesome, sincere and friendly dude.

The nerve is going to fire or it's not, right? There's no progressing towards that. It will happen or it won't, and nothing that happens in the meantime is going to let us know when that could be.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
The nerve is going to fire or it's not, right? There's no progressing towards that. It will happen or it won't, and nothing that happens in the meantime is going to let us know when that could be.

It's not always like a light switch, going by how another poster mentioned who had nerve damage also. Sometimes the improvement is so slow that you can't tell a difference day to day, but the overall improvement is there month to month (the whole growing by an inch per month talk).

And plus once it fires doesn't mean he's all of a sudden 100%. I'm sure those muscles around the ankle will have to be strengthened as they've probably weakened from lack of use. That could take months. Maybe he's at that stage, we don't know

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
It's not always like a light switch, going by how another poster mentioned who had nerve damage also. Sometimes the improvement is so slow that you can't tell a difference day to day, but the overall improvement is there month to month (the whole growing by an inch per month talk).

And plus once it fires doesn't mean he's all of a sudden 100%. I'm sure those muscles around the ankle will have to be strengthened as they've probably weakened from lack of use. That could take months. Maybe he's at that stage, we don't know

Let me ask another way: Is there anything short of the nerve firing correctly that can be taken as a sign that it eventually will fire correctly? My understanding was no, but I could be mistaken.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

I know there isn't a lot of info out, but I'm pretty sure he's getting electrical stimulation on those muscles to prevent atrophy.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What was the timing with the NFI and practice before having to go to IR again?

I just looked it up. He can return to practice anywhere from week 6 to the day after the week 11 game. It's a 6 week window and then the two weeks of practice.

Given that it seems that Brandt is saying he will return at 11+2 weeks from now or the outer limit of when he is eligible to return.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah he has to be doing it on purpose at this point

Well there is no doubt he knows what fans and press make of tweets like this. Next week is also the first week he is eligible to return to practice. I don't trust it but I don't deny the implication.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Let me ask another way: Is there anything short of the nerve firing correctly that can be taken as a sign that it eventually will fire correctly? My understanding was no, but I could be mistaken.

No one knows for sure. Everyone is pretty much basing their opinion on what the doctor said back in March or April before the draft. The main positive is he said the nerves were not damaged, but elongated, and in sort of a 'sleep mode'. The whole point was having to wait for them to wake up. Beyond that everyone is forming opinions on his chances or lack thereof from the rest of that interview. They're basing timetables on the 'inch per month on average' quote, but it's not the same for everyone. But even if the nerves do start firing up, it's not like the Cowboys will announce it. Its not something you tell the media...it's just something that happens behind the scenes and they transision him from rehab to practice. The only hints we'll get are from people talking to Jaylon (which I'm sure he's been told to limit his responses in regards to his recovery), or his tweets. Since he knows of the reaction of his previous tweet, this one makes it even more interesting, since he's not the type of personality to troll.