Gil Brandt predicts Week 14-15 return for Jaylon Smith

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
No one knows for sure. Everyone is pretty much basing their opinion on what the doctor said back in March or April before the draft. The main positive is he said the nerves were not damaged, but elongated, and in sort of a 'sleep mode'. The whole point was having to wait for them to wake up. Beyond that everyone is forming opinions on his chances or lack thereof from the rest of that interview. They're basing timetables on the 'inch per month on average' quote, but it's not the same for everyone. But even if the nerves do start firing up, it's not like the Cowboys will announce it. Its not something you tell the media...it's just something that happens behind the scenes and they transision him from rehab to practice. The only hints we'll get are from people talking to Jaylon (which I'm sure he's been told to limit his responses in regards to his recovery), or his tweets. Since he knows of the reaction of his previous tweet, this one makes it even more interesting, since he's not the type of personality to troll.

I'd also add that I'm betting he got a directive from the team (via Rich Darymple) to not give any definitive info on the nerve recovery because it will open up constant and endless inquiry and speculation into its progress from the media.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'd also add that I'm betting he got a directive from the team (via Rich Darymple) to not give any definitive info on the nerve recovery because it will open up constant and endless inquiry and speculation into its progress from the media.

The Cowboys marketing strategy has been any press is good press since Jones took over. He stirs the QB controversy pot for example. If anything they would court that.

If he got a directive it would be from the ones that are aloof from the press like Garrett and the trainers.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The praying emoji says to me he is 'hoping' for good news.....maybe he has a check-up tomorrow and doesn't want to jinx it but still wants some good news

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
For those extra curious, a tweet he posted a few days back is a picture of him and his niece and nephew. In it I don't see him wearing the brace, just socks. When a journalist asked him about the brace pre draft, he said he needed it to walk, otherwise he pretty much.... couldn't. Good sign?

waldoputty

Reaction score
For those extra curious, a tweet he posted a few days back is a picture of him and his niece and nephew. In it I don't see him wearing the brace, just socks. When a journalist asked him about the brace pre draft, he said he needed it to walk, otherwise he pretty much.... couldn't. Good sign?

I think that would be big news.
If he does not have the brace, he would have foot drop and cannot walk?

The brace is pretty compact, so are you sure?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

He's not wearing it. Click on the link and click on the pic to expand the pic. There is no question he is not wearing it.

waldoputty

Reaction score

He's not wearing it. Click on the link and click on the pic to expand the pic. There is no question he is not wearing it.

This is how the brace looks like?

https://encrypted-tbn3.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe_cLan27QfMtQreYC9szjQ8yory451qUVHs008KeelVxnP2z5

waldoputty

Reaction score

Here is Jaylon in a picture in August. There appears to be a brace on the left leg that was injured.

Aj_rmy0dfaR8NWqm.jpg

waldoputty

Reaction score
Anybody else think Jaylon's milking this injury?

I'm starting to question his toughness.

He was wearing the brace in August
Not sure where he is now, but he appears to be no longer wearing the brace in the family picture.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score

The way Broaddus on Cowboys Break explained it last week, Jaylon Smith basically said he needs the brace to walk. Even the journalist who asked the question apparently felt awkward afterwards, because he just said it in a "hey, what's up with the brace?" way. This was pre draft, and they knew his stock would fall because of it.

So I would think no brace is a really good sign.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
That is a significant point nobody acknowledges either.

There are a ton of rookie LB making an impact this early. Just watching the Chargers Broncos the Chargers have a guy that had made several plays including a key sack towards the end of the game