Giving the front office credit

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Which peer-reviewed article in your "Psych Survey" 101 course are you recalling this from? Do tell sir.

It was from the text under abnormal psychology. Beyond that I don't remember. However here is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist writing about it.

Such a well-nigh universal tendency is elevated almost to an art form with those afflicted with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). When criticized, narcissists show themselves woefully incapable of retaining any emotional poise, or receptivity. And it really doesn't much matter whether the nature of that criticism is constructive or destructive. They just don't seem to be able to take criticism, period. At the same time, these disturbed individuals demonstrate an abnormally developed capacity to criticize others (as in, "dish it out" to them).

Although narcissists don't (or won't) show it, all perceived criticism feels gravely threatening to them (the reason that their inflamed, over-the-top reactions to it can leave us so surprised and confused). Deep down, clinging desperately not simply to a positive but grandiose sense of self, they're compelled at all costs to block out any negative feedback about themselves. Their dilemma is that the rigidity of their defenses, their inability ever to let their guard down (even with those closest to them), guarantees that they'll never get what they most need, which they themselves are sadly--no, tragically--oblivious of.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/.../the-narcissists-dilemma-they-can-dish-it-out

So it would fit that you would deny the criticism affected you as you do here.

cern

Reaction score
So, if someone admits that signing Carroll was an EPIC FAILURE, what does that get you? Seriously. So what? It was an epic failure. **** happens. You move on.

If I recall, the Eagles signed Nnamdi Asomugha to a 5 year, $60M deal in 2011, with $25M guaranteed, and everyone was talking about how the Eagles outsmarted Jerry. They went 12-20 over the next two years, and Asomugha was cut after the 2012 season. $25M for 12-20. Now that is an EPIC FAILURE.
Good example. I went from irate to lmao at that move. Same with the move to get Murray. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're The windshield.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I do. But I can't blame people for feeling that way. It's been 20+ years now. And the team fell from 13-3 to 9-7.

The fans have a right to be down, especially when what most perceive to be am overmatched head coach continues to keep the job.

It's smarter to blame the people responsible for the frustration more than the fans for feeling it.

I never said that people should not be frustrated. I have many issues with the team myself. I just don't think Carroll's deal is a problem now that the head of pro scouting has been changed. It certainly seems like they are finding better prospects this year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Men should get angry, not frustrated.

Getting angry about something you can do nothing about is frustrating. I agree with your notion and that is why I choose not to get worked up about the Cowboys. Nonetheless, I can understand why people do get frustrated. There is nothing we can do to change it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
We can argue about who Dallas should have targeted in free agency, but the team has landed the players it has targeted. The Joneses brought in Thompson, Hurns and Fleming and signed them.
They've targeted guys like Nolan Carroll, Jasper Brinkley, and Cedric Thornton. Congrats?

Blake

Reaction score
It was from the text under abnormal psychology. Beyond that I don't remember. However here is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist writing about it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/.../the-narcissists-dilemma-they-can-dish-it-out

So it would fit that you would deny the criticism affected you as you do here.

That's a fascinating study. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for sharing.

What are your thoughts on "Malignant Self Love" - the book by a self professed narcissist?

https://books.google.com/books/abou...ver&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

He provides pretty good insight as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said that people should not be frustrated. I have many issues with the team myself. I just don't think Carroll's deal is a problem now that the head of pro scouting has been changed. It certainly seems like they are finding better prospects this year.

Let's hope, we can agree on that.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's a fascinating study. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for sharing.

What are your thoughts on "Malignant Self Love" - the book by a self professed narcissist?

https://books.google.com/books/abou...ver&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

He provides pretty good insight as well.

I have no real interest so none. I only recalled what I knew because you brought it up. That was only a short article that was the first think I found when I searched "narcissist criticism." The reaction to criticism is the hallmark of the disorder.

Blake

Reaction score
I have no real interest so none. I only recalled what I knew because you brought it up. That was only a short article that was the first think I found when I searched "narcissist criticism." The reaction to criticism is the hallmark of the disorder.

Cool story bro. :cool:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Cool story bro. :cool:

That is one thing about the US education system is everyone is forced to learn a whole bunch of trivia that they do not care about. It should be okay that I don't care about what you care about.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
And they changed the director of pro scouting this year after admitting to those mistakes.

Sorry, but given the recent history, I don't think it is time to crack open the champagne, even if they have changed up pro scouting. They've essentially signed a bunch of journeymen, which has been the knock for a few years. I think Hurns is a decent signing, but he's never played an entire season, and has had some significant injury history of the last couple of years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sorry, but given the recent history, I don't think it is time to crack open the champagne, even if they have changed up pro scouting. They've essentially signed a bunch of journeymen, which has been the knock for a few years. I think Hurns is a decent signing, but he's never played an entire season, and has had some significant injury history of the last couple of years.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? I'm not guaranteeing success. I am just saying that the team has admitted the problem and made a change to fix it.

And there strategy has been to fill holes in FA and draft and develop their top talent. The drafting has been outstanding relative to the league and they have kept most of their draft successes. But they have whiffed hard the past few years in FA.

And I doubt you have watched much more of Hurns, Fleming, Martin, Thompson, et al than the rest of us. Personally I am in wait and see mode. There are reasons for both optimism and doubt. There is no reason for certainty one way or the other IMO.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We can argue about who Dallas should have targeted in free agency, but the team has landed the players it has targeted. The Joneses brought in Thompson, Hurns and Fleming and signed them.
Yeah then they go out and sign a fb which very few teams rarely use anymore. Then they go overpay and extend Witten for 4 more years when if he was cut wouldn't even get a contract as more than a backup role. We cry about the Dez contract and speed and lack of stats but Witten gets a free pass and key to the place but hasn't done squat in several years but nobody bats an eye. When are they gonna cut all these Tes? We got the sorriest starting overpaid tes on any roster but somehow we're accepting of this. All the free agent tes we're better that what we have. Who cares about upgrading our wrs if we're gonna have Witten and Hanna out there on every play. For that I grade them an F. WE HAVENT HAD A DECENT RECEIVER AT TIGHT END in years BUT WE just keep signing and extending these worthless overpaid players. Thats part ofothe reason our wr core sucks. Theres too much garbage at Te and Fb and not enough bonified playmakers and receivers. How could you sit back and say that dez is not performing $ and then give Witten an ext and all these tight ends a free pass I don't get it. Y'all let me know when these 3-4 tes score more than 5 td a year as a unit and I may sing their praises. I quit drinking that te koolaide 5 years back. That's the secret sauce thats keeping us out of playoff contention every year.

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score
Until the Cowboys can get past the divisional round of the postseason, nobody in this organization is deserving of any credit.

Skillit

Reaction score
We haven’t gone totally stupid in a long time.

Joey Galloway?
Roy Williams?

We are drafting our stars and finding contributors. Take it all in stride— if Zeke doesn’t sit 6 games last year, we are a playoff team.

I’m positive on the direction.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We haven’t gone totally stupid in a long time.

Joey Galloway?
Roy Williams?

We are drafting our stars and finding contributors. Take it all in stride— if Zeke doesn’t sit 6 games last year, we are a playoff team.

I’m positive on the direction.
Our passing offense