GM Jerry evaluates Trey Lance

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys declined the 5th-year option on Lance, so the 2024 season is the final one for his rookie contract .
That's even worse. This means Trey Lance is going to become a free agent after 2024. Might as well try to trade him now for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Pretty sure Trey Lance will not accept a low-balled 2nd contract, plus to remain a backup QB at his young age. He wants the chance to be a starter. Best for Jerry to trade him and get a decent draft pick we can use right now, instead of losing him while not getting any compensation.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It would best be the coaching staff to decide Trey Lance's fate -- not the GM who has long proven a poor judge of talent. That's not to say Lance can't beat out Rush for a backup spot, but those to decide shouldn't be Jerry, nor Stephen. Wise decisions are a must! :omg:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
You complain and ridicule the loudest, yet you keep following and watching. lol
get your jazzy gear. Jerry loves guys who support him. I support nothing; I'm here for the laughs, and plenty of laughs are here.

I hope Lance works out and sets some records here and we overpay him too.

Last edited:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This was pretty honest, fair, and level-headed assessment from Jerry. Jerry deserves a lot of flak for a number of issues and decisions, but I don’t understand what people are complaining about here at least.

Motorola

Reaction score
That's even worse. This means Trey Lance is going to become a free agent after 2024. Might as well try to trade him now for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Pretty sure Trey Lance will not accept a low-balled 2nd contract, plus to remain a backup QB at his young age. He wants the chance to be a starter. Best for Jerry to trade him and get a decent draft pick we can use right now, instead of losing him while not getting any compensation.
No team is going to trade for Lance at all at this juncture in the offseason -

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Why not? Lots of teams needing a young and talented QB.
If teams wouldn’t beat the cowboys offer of a 4th 6 months ago why would they give a 4th or higher now when Lance has one less years of control and when the draft is right around the corner and picks are more valuable?

Honestly the only hope for compensation if Lance leaves is that he nets the Cowboys a comp pick.

Toro9

Reaction score
Listening to Jerry is like listening to Fish.

It takes them at least three times longer to say something than it should.
His sentence structure is odd. I haven't even heard old timers from Arkansas talk the way he does . Almost seems as if he's hiding something.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you evaluate someone who didn't take a single snap all of last season?

Pro-football-reference.com doesn't even show him playing for Dallas last season.
Here's how.

I play guitar. I can hand you a guitar, and just the way you accept it and strum some chords and scales (or not)...I can tell if you are any good or not. You don't have to play a concert for me to know.

Now, having said that...can Jerry evaluate QB's like I can guitar players?

It would seem not. :laugh:

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Listening to Jerry is like listening to Fish.

It takes them at least three times longer to say something than it should.
That's because they are generally talking out of both sides of their mouth. You see this in corporate lingo. Use 20 words when 4 will suffice. Never say what you mean, especially in times when a direct answer is what you need.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
How do you evaluate someone who didn't take a single snap all of last season?

Pro-football-reference.com doesn't even show him playing for Dallas last season.
That's exactly it. For any kind of meaningful evaluation, we'll have needed to see him in training camp and preseason. Even that won't show how he plays in a regular season game. You could look at old footage of him playing for the 49ers, but that's a different team, different coach, different system, etc.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
That's exactly it. For any kind of meaningful evaluation, we'll have needed to see him in training camp and preseason. Even that won't show how he plays in a regular season game. You could look at old footage of him playing for the 49ers, but that's a different team, different coach, different system, etc.
It might be a different team, different coach, different system, etc. but his fundamentals are awful. You can't teach a player to be a QB in the NFL. He needs to go play a few seasons on the USFL..