GM Jerry evaluates Trey Lance

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That's even worse. This means Trey Lance is going to become a free agent after 2024. Might as well try to trade him now for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Pretty sure Trey Lance will not accept a low-balled 2nd contract, plus to remain a backup QB at his young age. He wants the chance to be a starter. Best for Jerry to trade him and get a decent draft pick we can use right now, instead of losing him while not getting any compensation.
Why would any team offer a draft pick for a quarterback on an NFL roster for three years but can’t get on the field because he’s injured all the time and the one season, the most recent one, when he was perfectly healthy he never even made it on the game roster, let alone play in a game. And you’d have to pay him $5 million for the season and then he’s a free agent? No team is so poorly run they’d give up draft capital for that. Not even a 7th round pick.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
According to Jerry, Brandon Weeden was the most gifted thrower of the football he'd seen.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why would any team offer a draft pick for a quarterback on an NFL roster for three years but can’t get on the field because he’s injured all the time and the one season, the most recent one, when he was perfectly healthy he never even made it on the game roster, let alone play in a game. And you’d have to pay him $5 million for the season and then he’s a free agent? No team is so poorly run they’d give up draft capital for that. Not even a 7th round pick.
Ok, so why would you want Lance on this team when all that you said is true???

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If teams wouldn’t beat the cowboys offer of a 4th 6 months ago why would they give a 4th or higher now when Lance has one less years of control and when the draft is right around the corner and picks are more valuable?

Honestly the only hope for compensation if Lance leaves is that he nets the Cowboys a comp pick.
Because Lance will now have QB training from both Shanahan and McCarthy. That should improve his value.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That's even worse. This means Trey Lance is going to become a free agent after 2024. Might as well try to trade him now for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Pretty sure Trey Lance will not accept a low-balled 2nd contract, plus to remain a backup QB at his young age. He wants the chance to be a starter. Best for Jerry to trade him and get a decent draft pick we can use right now, instead of losing him while not getting any compensation.
If any QB is getting traded/cut in 2024 it’s going to be Dak.

Lance is our future.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Circus Maximus all over again. The runway shortens for this drunk old creep. Who cares what he thinks about Lance?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
If any QB is getting traded/cut in 2024 it’s going to be Dak.

Lance is our future.
I’ve watched some of Lance on the YouTube. He’s not bad. He’s made some bad decisions, but he’s got all the tangibles (he has a cannon). I can see why the 49ers used those draft picks to get him. His mechanics are good AND he actually goes through his progressions. He’s just raw. The biggest problem with rookies is adjusting to the speed of the game and NFL open receivers. They have to “see it” correctly. It’s the first mental hurdle (the second being the pressure of big games) they have to overcome to be a franchise QB, presuming they have the tangibles. It’s like Romo told Bill Parcells in his second or third year in the league: “Hey coach, I’m finally seeing it.”

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I’ve watched some of Lance on the YouTube. He’s not bad. He’s made some bad decisions, but he’s got all the tangibles (he has a cannon). I can see why the 49ers used those draft picks to get him. His mechanics are good AND he actually goes through his progressions. He’s just raw. The biggest problem with rookies is adjusting to the speed of the game and NFL open receivers. They have to “see it” correctly. It’s the first mental hurdle (the second being the pressure of big games) they have to overcome to be a franchise QB, presuming they have the tangibles. It’s like Romo told Bill Parcells in his second or third year in the league: “Hey coach, I’m finally seeing it.”
That's exactly it. That's why we need to see how he responds to training camp and preseason.

StarLord

Reaction score
That is going to become a huge mistake. Mark my words.
KC made a huge mistake going away from a proven Alex Smith. Philly going away from Wentz. Seattle going away from Wilson. Big mistake Dallas went away from proven Tom Landry. LA should have never let go of Goff. Could go on and on.. you really have no idea if it would be a mistake or not. But I can pretty safely say I know what we get with Dak. If we had current Dak on a rookie deal.. we might able to do something with that. But we don't.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
KC made a huge mistake going away from a proven Alex Smith. Philly going away from Wentz. Seattle going away from Wilson. Big mistake Dallas went away from proven Tom Landry. LA should have never let go of Goff. Could go on and on.. you really have no idea if it would be a mistake or not. But I can pretty safely say I know what we get with Dak. If we had current Dak on a rookie deal.. we might able to do something with that. But we don't.
No, you don't. Dak arguably had an MVP season and one of the best statistical passing seasons of his career. Those 2 INTs during the playoffs were explained by both Cole Beasley and Kurt Warner. Take those 2 plays away, Dak was not the reason the Cowboys lost the game.