Goff traded for Stafford

DFWJC

Reaction score
15th rated current QB. You keep dodging that.
You mention Tannehill but in the end he spit the bit. So bad comparison; or maybe dead on comparison. Stafford has not shown he can perform under playoff pressure either.
I'm saying that if he played on better teams, his career QB rating would be way higher.
I'm also saying that those in the league for more than a few years need to have their rating adjusted up.....and there are formulas used for that.
Unless you think Andy Dalton is better than John Elway, I'd think that would make sense.
You understand where I'm coming from, that's fine.

Stafford's time adjusted passer rating puts him in the 5-7 range (depending on if we include Brees/Rivers) best among active QBs
But again, he has played on crap teams mostly.

I don't know how this will turn out but I like Stafford better than you do.

No big deal.....I can see I'm getting nowhere here.
Agree to disagree

NickZepp

Reaction score
In 2016 McVay was OC for the 'Skins.

He had a 4th round pick at QB, guy named Cousins. Cousins posted 307 yards per game.

Stafford has more talent than Cousins.
He's won 45% of his games over 12 years of his career. If you can get all these 1st rounders for a guy without a playoff win, Dallas should trade Dak for about 10 future first round picks. I actually think Cousins is more talented than Stafford based on what both have done in the league over a long period of time. Even Cousins bad teams aren't that bad for the most part.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Hate to say it, wait, no I don't. I told you he would pull at least a 1st when I suggested the Cowboys offer that 10th pick but that wouldn't be enough. The rumor was a 2021 2nd and 2022 1st but they sweetened that deal, wonder why? Because they didn't want the Niners getting him.

The Rams window is as wide open as it's going to get and all they needed was a good QB and regardless of the opinion of those I don't consider very good at evaluating QB's, that is exactly what Stafford is and you will see that now that he's with a good team with good coaching.

Stafford is a lot better than what you saw in DET and only had one real weapon in his time there; however, he is responsible for Golden Tate's rise and getting those nice FA contracts.

I was dead wrong about something, the Cowboys trading for him. They would have been left in the dust because he wanted to go to a contender.
So Dak probably think he is worth 40 mil, and very likely that's what it would take to keep him here unless we non-exclusive tag. If I'm jerry I don't even wait to see if he can play at the same level as before end even risk re-injury I let Dak and another team think he's worth 40 mil and let him go for a 1st. a 2nd and a good player. Keep the value by letting him walk and frame it like you wanted to keep him but there were simply other needs to rebuild.

Exactly why not non exclusive him? I like dak but we couldn't win with him how will anything change once hes massively paid?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Stafford has 31 comebacks, 38 game-winning drives. He's averaged 300+ yards in his 3 playoff appearances.
yes..great points. Kudos to him for that. BUT here is the thing, will he hold up? Will he be able to play out the next 2 years remaining on his deal? IF so, Its a win for the Rams if they can then resign him. He would be 34 or 35 then. Stafford has to really just stay healthy. Back issues tend to be nasty buggers that never truly go away.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Exactly why not non exclusive him? I like dak but we couldn't win with him how will anything change once hes massively paid?
They already used the exclusive contract last year and when using it a second time they will have to automatically pay a much higher percentage no matter what. Using a lesser tag would give the team less bargaining power without any benefit.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Why are people forgetting that this is not about Stafford being a quality qb. It about giving up two 1's on top of of a player. They just gave up 2 1's for ramsey

robertfchew

Reaction score
They already used the exclusive contract last year and when using it a second time they will have to automatically pay a much higher percentage no matter what. Using a lesser tag would give the team less bargaining power without any benefit.

How so? Why can't they non exclusive him? Let him go get a sense of market value if someone wants to sign him to a massive contract that isn't fair in the cowboys eyes then we'll get those 2 1's and can use that capitol to move up for a top rookie qb. That rookie may then end up busting himself but we arent winning with just dak and a 40 mil per year contract.

T-RO

Reaction score
yes..great points. Kudos to him for that. BUT here is the thing, will he hold up? Will he be able to play out the next 2 years remaining on his deal? IF so, Its a win for the Rams if they can then resign him. He would be 34 or 35 then. Stafford has to really just stay healthy. Back issues tend to be nasty buggers that never truly go away.

No guarantees on future health. In 9 of 10 past seasons he's played all 16 games. He'll turn 33 next month.

Back injury knocked him out 8 games last year, but other than that...

Last edited:

Turk

Reaction score
No guarantees on future health. In 9 of 10 past seasons he's played all 16 games. He'll turn 33 next month.

Back injury knocked him out 8 games last year, but other than that...
"other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?"

T-RO

Reaction score
"other than that Mrs Lincoln how was the play?"

I don't know any details on his back injury except that he played all 2020 games.

I imagine Stafford (Dallas roots, Dallas home) has talked about backs with Tony.

Manning had best season ever after neck bones fused; Romo had perhaps finest years playing w/back problems. My impression is that Stafford's injury isn't as serious as either of those.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Rams are going to go nearly a decade between first round picks and still probably won’t win a SB. Not exactly a model to strive for.

The Rams got FLEECED here
Found a picture taken during the trade negotiations........

Carl.jpg

T-RO

Reaction score
RoadTrip635...that's a pretty complete fleecing, lol

Opinions vary a lot on the trade. No one thinks Detroit did anything but great, of course. Some think Rams did well too for their situation. No dog in the fight here, just glad for something interesting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoadTrip635...that's a pretty complete fleecing, lol

Opinions vary a lot on the trade. No one thinks Detroit did anything but great, of course. Some think Rams did well too for their situation. No dog in the fight here, just glad for something interesting.
We all have opinions on what we've seen and none based on what we will see. This fired me up for the 2021 season and will be one of the focal points.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I don't know any details on his back injury except that he played all 2020 games.

I imagine Stafford (Dallas roots, Dallas home) has talked about backs with Tony.

Manning had best season ever after neck bones fused; Romo had perhaps finest years playing w/back problems. My impression is that Stafford's injury isn't as serious as either of those.

Did Manning have a good season, post neck fuse trade? I swear he struggled mightily after that and was carried by a good defense and running game.