Golden Tate - 4.36 Jordan Shipley - 4.57

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Bluestang;3290295 said:
Sounds like to me he is riding the coat tails of NFL scouts and coaches, he directly said he talks to them and gets their information and then regurgitates with his conclusions - no different than what we do here.

I'll give Rob credit, unlike most he has not built his knowledge off who he knows. Sure it did not start out that way but there is no way to get into the business with out a break. Rob just did what so many have not and actually branched out instead of as like you said, "just continue to ride the coat tails"

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3290157 said:
draftbreakdown

Jacoby ford official 40 time 4.28

draftbreakdown

Andre Roberts and Marcus Easly official 40 times. 4.46.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said but there is no "official" time at the combine

There are two hand timed times and one combination hand/electronic time for each runner plus individual teams do their own timing so a player may run six different times that can technically be touted by a site as "official" but are not.

Reaction score
Bluestang;3290296 said:
well the title of this thread suggests that one player is far better than another because said player ran a faster 40 time...

where the **** does it say anywhere in the title that one player is better then the other because of a 40 time?????? I cant seem to find it?

It posts one of the fastest times for a WR, and one of the slowest.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3290301 said:
Independent Scout DJ Boyer and Curtis Popejoy at Burger King.

Unlike you, I actually have facts before I speak.

What facts??? You haven't given any, just some vague reference to knowing NFL scouts. With which you haven't used to disprove anything that I've posted.

SDogo said:
The only reason I'm coming off as a whiny brat is because once again, your talking out your *** and having it handed back to you.

but I'm done.

Arguing with a fool only proves there are two.

Lol, how am I talking out of my ***? I simply posted that Cooper ran .03 seconds slower than Miles Austin in no response to anybody. It was you who got all snarky with me out of the blue. Then I posted a couple snippets from at least 1 person in connection with NFL coaches and scouts, and who is a very well respected and nationally known draft expert in his own right. Even posted a video of Cooper catching up to, and outdistancing, one of the fastest players in college football, in a sprint up the field.

SDogo

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3290307 said:
I don't know how many times this needs to be said but there is no "official" time at the combine

There are two hand timed times and one combination hand/electronic time for each runner plus individual teams do their own timing so a player may run six different times that can technically be touted by a site as "official" but are not.

Basically your right.

The electronic time is what goes into the "official" NFL record which is why some refer to it as the official time. Many teams never look at it except for when there is a large discrepancy between their hand times and the electronic time.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290303 said:
It just posts one of the fastest 40 times

and one of the slowest.

let me correct myself, some people have argued here that Shipley is no better than Crayton based on his 40 time and that he is a "scrub". I have stood up for the guy because he simply has value for what he can bring to the table. I believe he's had a tremendous, productive career at UT and has the skills to be an excellent slot guy in the NFL.

These tests are subjective - anyone who follows these things knows this.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bluestang;3290315 said:
let me correct myself, some people have argued here that Shipley is no better than Crayton based on his 40 time and that he is a "scrub". I have stood up for the guy because he simply has value for what he can bring to the table. I believe he's had a tremendous, productive career at UT and has the skills to be an excellent slot guy in the NFL.

I think just some people want a more, explosive player in the slot. Which is why they are comparing Shipley to Crayton, and saying he's not much of a change from what we already have there.

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290317 said:
I think just some people want a more, explosive player in the slot. Which is why they are comparing Shipley to Crayton, and saying he's not much of a change from what we already have there.

exactly.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
SDogo;3290313 said:
Basically your right.

The electronic time is what goes into the "official" NFL record which is why some refer to it as the official time. Many teams never look at it except for when there is a large discrepancy between their hand times and the electronic time.

That discrepancy is because it's not a true electronic time but a hybrid. The start is by hand so we're never going to get a true accurate time.

That's why most teams trust their scout's time. It's usually the most consistent for comparing player A with player B where the real number on the watch doesn't matter but the difference between does.

Reaction score
Bluestang;3290315 said:

what people are trying to argue is that shipley will not be an improvement over crayton in his 1st couple years. And not only based on his 40 time. The O lacks another playmaker/gamebreaker.

SDogo

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3290321 said:
That discrepancy is because it's not a true electronic time but a hybrid. The start is by hand so we're never going to get a true accurate time.

That's why most teams trust their scout's time. It's usually the most consistent for comparing player A with player B where the real number on the watch doesn't matter but the difference between does.

Funny part about that is last year the NFL tried some new equipment that would electronically start the time once the players first body part crossed over a laser and the times were ridiculously fast compared to the hybrid time and they ditched it.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290317 said:

Cooper didn't run the 40 much faster but yet a video was posted of how he outran a fast guy. McCluster ran a slow time but he still gets separation on guys which was evidenced by the Senior Bowl practices...FYI - W. Welker ran the same time as Shipley...

RamziD

Reaction score
Dash28;3290138 said:
Is this hate for Texas or do you really think that Shipley is a scrub?

Hate for UT. He's a delusional OU fan.

As for Shipley, everything you need to know about him you can see on game film. He won't last past Round 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in Round 2, either.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bluestang;3290334 said:
Cooper didn't run the 40 much faster but yet a video was posted of how he outran a fast guy. McCluster ran a slow time but he still gets separation on guys which was evidenced by the Senior Bowl practices...FYI - W. Welker ran the same time as Shipley...

I think people just want a player in the slot who can take a pass and run it in for huge chunks. Guys like Welker and Shipley can get caught from behind.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290338 said:
I think people just want a player in the slot who can take a pass and run it in for huge chunks. Guys like Welker and Shipley can get caught from behind.

Who in the NFL can do this in the slot?

Bluestang

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290348 said:
:bang2:ask those who don't want Shipley, I'm just trying to explain their reasoning.

That's the problem, the reasoning is flat out terrible and it's purely based on a 40 time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bluestang;3290354 said:
That's the problem, the reasoning is flat out terrible and it's purely based on a 40 time.

To be fair to everyone, I do think that Shipley is explosive in the 1st 10 yards, but after that, he's not going to run away from many NFL defenders. And I guess you can say that the hater's expectations for the new slot receiver, whoever he may be, are a little unrealistic, because many slot receivers aren't going to be able to break off many huge runs in the clutter that is the middle of the field.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
I wonder if McCluster and Shipley are heavier right now than their playing weights. If so that could account for the slow 40 times.

Reaction score
Bluestang;3290334 said:

Bob just explained to you my reasoning, people who can't get caught from behind, people who can take it 80+ yards for a TD, Shipley, Welker, Crayton can't do that. Again, a gamebreaker in the slot would put this team over the top. And like you said Welker ran the same time as shipley, but I can think of 3 players that ran sub 4.5 that have had successful careers, Boldin, Welker, and Fitzgerald. So the odds are stacked against shipley. All receivers in the top 30-40. have run sub 4.6 40's. And you said which slot receivers cant get caught form behind, or are capable of long gains?? Percy Harvin, Manningham, Davone Bess, Austin Collie, Jeremy Maclin, Steve Breaston, Devin Hester,Mike Wallace, and thats just of the top of my head. Add J. Ford, and Golden Tate to that list. And no ITS NOT based purely on 40 times.