Golden Tate - 4.36 Jordan Shipley - 4.57

Bluestang

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3290359 said:
To be fair to everyone, I do think that Shipley is explosive in the 1st 10 yards, but after that, he's not going to run away from many NFL defenders. And I guess you can say that the hater's expectations for the new slot receiver, whoever he may be, are a little unrealistic, because many slot receivers aren't going to be able to break off many huge runs in the clutter that is the middle of the field.

Exactly. But those slot guys are the ones that move the chains and aren't afraid to run the digs across the middle or sit in the open zones of a defense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
rkell87;3290298 said:
wow

i was hearing this too and i know people that have seen shipley post 4.4 times i wonder if the combine timer is somehow off? prolly not but i wonder

Well if it is than CJ Spillers 4.27 just became way more impressive.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Dash28;3290138 said:
Is this hate for Texas or do you really think that Shipley is a scrub?

To call him a "scrub" is obviously hate consider how productive he was. Whether it's hate for the school or the player is pretty irrelevant.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Drafting track stars has worked for the Raiders. Everyone should follow the blueprint.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Wow, Tate looked atrocious in one of the pass catching drills.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d816a6693/Golden-s-day

Check out this video.

He say's he could be a PR/KR and even a Wildcat guy. He could definitely fill a bunch of roles this team has.

Seems like a really mature person. Well spoken and he's a playmaker.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if he was to find his way to Dallas.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3290364 said:
Bob just explained to you my reasoning, people who can't get caught from behind, people who can take it 80+ yards for a TD, Shipley, Welker, Crayton can't do that. Again, a gamebreaker in the slot would put this team over the top. And like you said Welker ran the same time as shipley, but I can think of 3 players that ran sub 4.5 that have had successful careers, Boldin, Welker, and Fitzgerald. So the odds are stacked against shipley. All receivers in the top 30-40. have run sub 4.6 40's. And you said which slot receivers cant get caught form behind, or are capable of long gains?? Percy Harvin, Manningham, Davone Bess, Austin Collie, Jeremy Maclin, Steve Breaston, Devin Hester,Mike Wallace, and thats just of the top of my head. Add J. Ford, and Golden Tate to that list. And no ITS NOT based purely on 40 times.

You shouldn't base it purely on 40 times because Manningham could have been timed with a sun dial during his underwear olympics.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3290383 said:
Wow, Tate looked atrocious in one of the pass catching drills.

To be fair, he did horrible on his first time through the gauntlet but once he settled down he did good his second time through. The route tree drill was good too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
They were just about to turn off the lights when all of a sudden, they heard a weak, little white voice from a distance...

Shipley: "wait, just 10 more yards!"

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;3290387 said:
You shouldn't base it purely on 40 times because Manningham could have been timed with a sun dial during his underwear olympics.

its not based purely on 40 times, its based on proof.

SDogo

Reaction score
Not to drop common sense into this thread but when the numbers come out your going to find Shipley's first 20 was faster any other WR listed in this thread. Now if were comparing apples to apples and debating if his production would better then Crayton in that roll I dont have Craytons numbers available to me right this second but I'm willing to bet they are better AND if your truly looking for a Slot WR is his 20 not just as important if not more important then the full 40 considering within a 20 yard distance is where he is going to have to get his separation and do all his work?

I dont think it's any coincidence that teams looking for a slot WR have a scout perched at the 20 yard mark during the 40 yard dash.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Some guys lose more speed putting on pads and helmet and cleats then others do. A 4.4 guy could end up on the field being just as fast as the 4.6 guy. That is why game tape is so important- you see what they do while on the field. If a guy catches them or they run away from him that is what counts.

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3290402 said:
Some guys lose more speed putting on pads and helmet and cleats then others do. A 4.4 guy could end up on the field being just as fast as the 4.6 guy. That is why game tape is so important- you see what they do while on the field. If a guy catches them or they run away from him that is what counts.

More common sense! Holy hell!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;3290402 said:

It has more to do with the fact how quickly they get into their routes. If you don't cut crisply, you lose speed. Which is why you watch how they run on a playing field, more so than on a track in a straight line.

Shipley's times today will just further NFL team's thoughts that he will be relegated to being strictly a slot receiver.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
burmafrd;3290402 said:
A lot of players gain weight for the Combine as well and this can lead to slower speeds. I remember Wes Welker saying a while back that most players try to gain weight going to the pros, but he recommends losing some for more quickness.