Good film breakdown of Dak

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Outside of the Carolina game, Romo was undefeated in games he started. He was 3-1 in 2015 and they were 0-12 without him. What does that tell you about his value? As good as Romo was, it was the really the lack of Murray that hurt the team even more. McFadden was an in between the 20s kind of back and turned out to not be the bell cow that Murray was (and not good in all 3 phases of the game like Murry for that matter). In 2016, the team drafts a more talented version of Murray and look what happened. So Romo was 3-1 without Murray. What was Dak without Zeke? I rest my case.:D

As far as if Romo could stay healthy or not, who cares? If he does, he's your best chance to win. If not, you go back to Dak.
It wasn't just being without Zeke.

Cap12

Reaction score
About that "Excellent leadership and pocket presence"....

I don't buy it.

There is something called a frontrunner.
A frontrunner talks a big game and acts like he is great but he lacks talent.

would any of you take orders from a guy that you knew was less talented than you are? At some point , all of Prescott's Rah Rah stuff will get old. Only a bonafied Alpha male can be a leader. You have to be one of the best players on your team. Remember, we got rid of Dez because I'm sure most of the team respected him more than Prescott...
The kid has poise and leadership abilities. He competes and he can be a playmaker on the move; either running or throwing. Those are the positives about Dak. Yeah, he's a confident kid, but he doesn't come off cocky. earlier in this thread, I posted Dane Brugler's comments about Dak and I agree with him. There is a reason Dak was draft in the 130s instead of in the top 5. That being said, he's got upside and he needs to continue to work on the holes in his game. Will he be successful by year 4 when the Cowboys have to make their decision about him? I don't know. I'm rooting for Dak though (but I'll call 'em as I see 'em too and I won't give him a pass).

HungryLion

Reaction score
And you didn't cry over the spilt milk of the Cowboys losing? I'm over it, but I said it at the time and still believe Romo should have been reinserted when he returned.

And nobody knows what would have happened...... stating otherwise is just one major assumption.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And the Romo led team in 2014 went 12-4 without their best player on Defense. He went 3-1 with the same team that Weeden, Cassell and Moore went 0-11 with.

If Romo doesn’t break his back (again) Dak never even gets a chance to start and go on a hot streak....

Cap12

Reaction score
And nobody knows what would have happened...... stating otherwise is just one major assumption.
True, but you should always go with your best chance to win. If you don't you're asking for trouble and that is exactly what we got. Romo was balling out with the scout team against the 1st team defense in practice. He takes a Ted Williams-like curtain call against Philly's really good starting Defense and shreds them like they were nothing (while Dak manages one out of two scoring drive that nets a FG). Same situation against the same team. Apples to apples argument (but I admit, too small a sample size). The eye test told me that Romo was better though and it told me that we went with superstition instead of the going with the player who gave us the best chance to win.

HungryLion

Reaction score
True, but you should always go with your best chance to win. If you don't you're asking for trouble and that is exactly what we got. Romo was balling out with the scout team against the 1st team defense in practice. He takes a Ted Williams-like curtain call against Philly's really good starting Defense and shreds them like they were nothing (while Dak manages one out of two scoring drive that nets a FG). Same situation against the same team. Apples to apples argument (but I admit, too small a sample size). The eye test told me that Romo was better though and it told me that we went over superstition instead of the going with the player who gave us the best chance to win.

And again, all an assumption on what would have happened. You’ll be a lot happier when you just let it go.

What Romo did against the scout team and the eagles defense in a game that neither team cared about, doesn’t mean anything.

Also, if you remember the playoff game. The first couple of drives were not stalled due to anything Dak did wrong.... they were stalled by stupid mistakes and penalties by other players. The same thing could have happened with Romo playing.

Once the other players stopped making mistakes Dak has no problem scoring on their defense, except for the interception.

Cap12

Reaction score
And again, all an assumption on what would have happened. You’ll be a lot happier when you just let it go.

What Romo did against the scout team and the eagles defense in a game that neither team cared about, doesn’t mean anything.

Also, if you remember the playoff game. The first couple of drives were not stalled due to anything Dak did wrong.... they were stalled by stupid mistakes and penalties by other players. The same thing could have happened with Romo playing.

Once the other players stopped making mistakes Dak has no problem scoring on their defense, except for the interception.
When healthy, who was the better QB in 2016? If you say Dak, you don't know very much about football. If you say "health", then you are ignoring the fact that by week 10 Romo was healthy enough to play. If you are saying that Jerry turned the page and wanted to start the next QB era, he did it against conventional wisdom and it didn't work out for him when it counted. You can say it's speculation, but the fact is that Romo was a better QB than Dak by week 10. That is not disputable. Dak had (and still does) a ton of holes in his game and while he was capable of making big plays to off-set them, I'd rather take the veteran who knew how to play the game in the NFL than the guy who didn't.

HungryLion

Reaction score
When healthy, who was the better QB in 2016? If you say Dak, you don't know very much about football. If you say "health", then you are ignoring the fact that by week 10 Romo was healthy enough to play. If you are saying that Jerry turned the page and wanted to start the next QB era, he did it against conventional wisdom and it didn't work out for him when it counted. You can say it's speculation, but the fact is that Romo was a better QB than Dak by week 10. That is not disputable. Dak had (and still does) a ton of holes in his game and while he was capable of making big plays to off-set them, I'd rather take the veteran who knew how to play the game in the NFL than the guy who didn't.

I’m not getting into this debate with anyone again. It’s pointless and stupid. Go ahead and wax poetic about “what could have been” in 2016. That’s fine.

erod

Reaction score
I'll think about it when it happens. But as of now it hasn't. We got 9 wins with poor qb play and Zeke suspended.....I don't see why this team wouldn't be a 10 or 11 win team with him.

I'm all for seeing this through. Absolutely. The hope is that Dak is going through a transformation right now, and that he'll get past these issues by this coming season.

We'll know what Dak is soon. He's not going to figure it out in his 4th or 5th year if he doesn't now. He'll have 40 games under him this season, which is more than enough, especially for an older guy like he is (for his draft year).

I think this will go really well, or really badly. I don't see much in the middle. If it looks bad, they need to insert Cooper Rush by midseason so we can start finding out about him quickly.

Having to draft a QB next spring will start yet another 3-year process, so guys like Zeke will be in their 7th seasons by the time we get good again.

Cap12

Reaction score

That's what the term second guess means. When they started Dak over Romo in week 10, they went against conventional wisdom. The team came out flat against Green Bay. Players made mistakes, but Dak didn't look sharp either in the first half. The pick was the kind of poor pass and judgment that Dak was (and still is) capable of making. Romo does not make that kind of play against a crummy GB Defense. Yes, this is speculation, but Dak's performance in 2017 backs up the perception that he played over his head in 2016 because of a great supporting cast and that he would have been better taking a seat on the bench and letting the more experienced, better passer lead the team for the rest of 2016.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

It doesn't matter. QB was not the reason the season ended. It would be like someone claiming better WR play than Dez, or running DMC instead of Zeke, or having a different TE than Witten was an issue that game. But Dak, Zeke, Witten and Dez all played great.

The defense stunk and gave up scores on 6 of the 10 drives allowing an average of 3.4 points per drive. Our offense scored 3.44 points per drive (31 points/9 drives).

The problem was the defense. But, if QB play would have been the difference, I'm cool with someone making that argument. The counter to that argument is that better QB from 2006-2014 could have been the difference in every elimination game loss, even 2014 when Romo was almost perfect.

Not sure why this argument keeps on coming up. We had home field throughout the playoffs (which is the best you can accomplish in regular season) and the QB played a great playoff game. If Dak stunk it up then I could see this continuing to rub people the wrong way, but he didn't. The defense sucked. Romo fans have been blaming the defense for a decade yet still won't extend that same courtesy to Dak in a game the defense was clearly the main issue. It's mind boggling.

Last edited:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Well genius, they don't know that the next QB can play. They know Dak can. At his worst he's very good. At his best he's proven to be one of the best in the NFL. Those don't grow on trees. There isn't one in this draft, in fact.
Well there is nothing wrong with creating competitions and you never know you could strike gold with some unknown,but at least give them chances.At this stage i don't know if Dak will be the one or not,but i don't want to wait 20 years to find out.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That's what the term second guess means. When they started Dak over Romo in week 10, they went against conventional wisdom. The team came out flat against Green Bay. Players made mistakes, but Dak didn't look sharp either in the first half. The pick was the kind of poor pass and judgment that Dak was (and still is) capable of making. Romo does not make that kind of play against a crummy GB Defense. Yes, this is speculation, but Dak's performance in 2017 backs up the perception that he played over his head in 2016 because of a great supporting cast and that he would have been better taking a seat on the bench and letting the more experienced, better passer lead the team for the rest of 2016.

Lol yeah you’re right. Romo never made a bad decision and threw a dumb interception. Lol how silly of me.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm all for seeing this through. Absolutely. The hope is that Dak is going through a transformation right now, and that he'll get past these issues by this coming season.

We'll know what Dak is soon. He's not going to figure it out in his 4th or 5th year if he doesn't now. He'll have 40 games under him this season, which is more than enough, especially for an older guy like he is (for his draft year).

I think this will go really well, or really badly. I don't see much in the middle. If it looks bad, they need to insert Cooper Rush by midseason so we can start finding out about him quickly.

Having to draft a QB next spring will start yet another 3-year process, so guys like Zeke will be in their 7th seasons by the time we get good again.
A simple analysis of Cooper's skillset tells you all you need to know. Does not have the arm for the NFL. It's not complicated. You cannot throw lollipops in the NFL.

I agree w/ you on Dak. We will find out this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. QB was not the reason the season ended. It would be like someone claiming better WR play than Dez, or running DMC instead of Zeke, or having a different TE than Witten was an issue that game. But Dak, Zeke, Witten and Dez all played great.

The defense stunk and gave up scores on 6 of the 10 drives allowing an average of 3.4 points per drive. Our offense scored 3.44 points per drive (31 points/9 drives).

The problem was the defense. But, if QB play would have been the difference, I'm cool with someone making that argument. The counter to that argument is that better QB from 2006-2014 could have been the difference in every elimination game loss, even 2014 when Romo was almost perfect.

Not sure why this argument keeps on coming up. We had home field throughout the playoffs (which is the best you can accomplish in regular season) and the QB played a great game. If Dak stunk it up then I could see this continuing to rub people the wrong way, but he didn't. The defense sucked. Romo fans have been blaming the defense for a decade yet still won't extend that same courtesy to Dak in a game the defense was clearly the main issue. It's mind boggling.
Our D has been allowing opposing O's to walk up and down the field. And many were touting it as OK as long as the other team didn't score.

That MIGHT work in the regular season against average teams. But, when you get to the playoffs and let Aaron and Tom and even Eli walk up and down the field on you, you'll lose.

What boggles my mind is that anyone thought this was OK to begin w/.