Good News/Bad News

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The obvious: right now the Cowboys fan base is in the middle of an 18 month boring/inactive time by the front office. The team will fight for a wildcard and that’s about it.

That’s due to the fact they have 70 million in dead cap next year and will have to replace up to 29 free agents next year.

So this year they had to get linemen and LBs - no sexy picks.

Next free agency will be the same as they’ll need a bunch of vet minimum guys just to fill out the roster.

HOWEVER come draft April 2025 things get exciting again. Dallas will draft at least 2-3 “sexy picks” next year. They’ll need a starting WR2, RB, 3T, MLB and other depth pieces.

So there will be a fresh infusion of new primary players and of course we won’t even touch on the Dak situation.

So yes this year will be painful as the worst case scenario is to go 11-6 and be one and done. Better would be to go 7-10 and miss the playoffs to be higher to pick each of these primary pieces.

Of course there could also be a new coaching staff here and I’ll put in my early pick: LINCOLN RILEY who’s said college is getting harder to HCs and he may be done after he sees what life is like without Caleb and having to travel to Northwestern/Rutgers to play conference games.

Hibernate and check back in next spring!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Better to have a record worse than 7-10. Wake some homers & maybe even the owners up. (don't really believe the second part of that but hey, ya gotta leave the door open for a little hope).

I'll be watching good football by whoever is playing it & not worrying about the disfunction of this organization.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I checked OTC and Dallas currently has 8.7 million(Gallup) in dead money for 2025. Nothing else. Don't know where 70 million number came from.
Potentially Dak, DLaw and Martin.

DLaw and Martin are pretty much a given at this point.

plasticman

Reaction score
One of these years......

The Cowboys will have a "miracle" season.

Why? Because the Cowboys have never been given anything easily. Never!

Every SB or NFL championship game decided by a TD or less played by them have been lost, all five. Every SB won had to have a double digit margin of victory, all five.

The Patriots won their first three SB's by three points each. The Cowboys? No such thing as luck.

Over the past 25 seasons or more, every time they got close, they lost by an inch. The catch that wasn't a catch. The Aaron Rodgers perfect throw. A single play here, a drop there.

One year it's going to happen. The Cowboys will be divined that one small sliver of something that has eluded them an entire generation....luck. A bounce in the right direction.....a fortuitous call from an official.....an historic postseason play... that propels them forward.

Why not this year?

Why not a year where all the best players stay healthy? They don't lose an All Pro to a freak injury. The play that had to be made happens because that player wasn't sitting at home in a cast.

The team continues to play past November. They acquire the ever elusive MOMENTUM in January. They don't have that bitter, gut wrenching, soul burning, eternal life draining play that ends the season in unforgettable cold misery.

..........."sigh"......

blueblood70

Reaction score
I checked OTC and Dallas currently has 8.7 million(Gallup) in dead money for 2025. Nothing else. Don't know where 70 million number came from.
Well this would be a complete guess but if they let go of Prescott there's at least 40 million from just him..

12+88=7

Reaction score
Potentially Dak, DLaw and Martin.

DLaw and Martin are pretty much a given at this point.
The key word in your statement is potentially.

I agree there are players this year on the roster that won't be on the roster in 2025.

The problem is nobody has a crystal ball and knows who will and who won't be on the 2025 roster. The only sure thing is that Gallup will account for 8.7 million of dead money in 2025.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The obvious: right now the Cowboys fan base is in the middle of an 18 month boring/inactive time by the front office. The team will fight for a wildcard and that’s about it.

That’s due to the fact they have 70 million in dead cap next year and will have to replace up to 29 free agents next year.

So this year they had to get linemen and LBs - no sexy picks.

Next free agency will be the same as they’ll need a bunch of vet minimum guys just to fill out the roster.

HOWEVER come draft April 2025 things get exciting again. Dallas will draft at least 2-3 “sexy picks” next year. They’ll need a starting WR2, RB, 3T, MLB and other depth pieces.

So there will be a fresh infusion of new primary players and of course we won’t even touch on the Dak situation.

So yes this year will be painful as the worst case scenario is to go 11-6 and be one and done. Better would be to go 7-10 and miss the playoffs to be higher to pick each of these primary pieces.

Of course there could also be a new coaching staff here and I’ll put in my early pick: LINCOLN RILEY who’s said college is getting harder to HCs and he may be done after he sees what life is like without Caleb and having to travel to Northwestern/Rutgers to play conference games.

Hibernate and check back in next spring!
Hard pass on Riley. He doesn't believe in strength training, and has no interest in building a defense. He has one thing going for him, and that's putting his QBs in a position to elevate their draft stock.

His best years were in the immediate aftermath of Bob Stoops' retirement. Since then, he has failed to put together a strong team with his own recruited players, even though most of those guys are 4 and 5 star recruits. He's all flash, no substance. Maybe he'd be a strong QB coach or OC when USC fires him, but I'd rather keep McCarthy than entertaining bringing this clown in as the face of the Dallas Cowboys. Just my .02.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The key word in your statement is potentially.

I agree there are players this year on the roster that won't be on the roster in 2025.

The problem is nobody has a crystal ball and knows who will and who won't be on the 2025 roster. The only sure thing is that Gallup will account for 8.7 million of dead money in 2025.
I find it hard to believe that we will extend Martin and DLaw next year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Make him a June 1st cut and it's only 26 million. Just saved 14 million.
Either way that's a big chunk but I don't think it works that way he's not getting cut this year we're talking about next year he's a full-fledged free agent I don't think there's a way you can count them as a cut the man is a full free agent after this year I think maybe that's what we're looking at this wrong I'm not talking about this year we're not cutting Prescott just get rid of that in your mindset because there's more of a chance he gets resigned before game one before he gets cut he is not getting cut this year but next year he's a free agent there is no such thing that I am aware of as a June 1st cut for a full free agent....

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Dak situation will dictate everything. The most important position on the team and that players contract status.
Correct a lot of us think that Prescott would be the first domino that sets off the rest of the dominoes and that's why CD, Parsons& some other players are going to be held in neutral right now no moves are being made not because they don't want to retain those Prescott leaving could make this front office do something they usually don't do and trade away Micah Parsons ,CD lamb, trying to trade diggs trying to get rid of tank and Zach Martin and this could be a full reboot in 2025....

I mean when you look at all our quarterbacks contracts are up they're all free agents next year it makes one think that that's what they're waiting on this front office might be finally in a place that they're gonna do a rebuild keep one of those backup quarterbacks most likely Trey Lance but maybe even he's gone and they dip into the middle veteran quarterbacks to bridge a gap and they go out and actually draft a quarterback with the draft picks as well as some higher comp picks we possibly would get as well from those starters leaving.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Or maybe they just play.

With their cap values next year Dallas still has 79 million in cap space.
Neither will play for $1.255M next year.

Jerry will hope they sign somewhere else for future comp picks.