Good News/Bad News

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The obvious: right now the Cowboys fan base is in the middle of an 18 month boring/inactive time by the front office. The team will fight for a wildcard and that’s about it.

That’s due to the fact they have 70 million in dead cap next year and will have to replace up to 29 free agents next year.

So this year they had to get linemen and LBs - no sexy picks.

Next free agency will be the same as they’ll need a bunch of vet minimum guys just to fill out the roster.

HOWEVER come draft April 2025 things get exciting again. Dallas will draft at least 2-3 “sexy picks” next year. They’ll need a starting WR2, RB, 3T, MLB and other depth pieces.

So there will be a fresh infusion of new primary players and of course we won’t even touch on the Dak situation.

So yes this year will be painful as the worst case scenario is to go 11-6 and be one and done. Better would be to go 7-10 and miss the playoffs to be higher to pick each of these primary pieces.

Of course there could also be a new coaching staff here and I’ll put in my early pick: LINCOLN RILEY who’s said college is getting harder to HCs and he may be done after he sees what life is like without Caleb and having to travel to Northwestern/Rutgers to play conference games.

Hibernate and check back in next spring!
2025 Draft I'll take all the unsexy DTs they can find.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of these years......

The Cowboys will have a "miracle" season.

Why? Because the Cowboys have never been given anything easily. Never!

Every SB or NFL championship game decided by a TD or less played by them have been lost, all five. Every SB won had to have a double digit margin of victory, all five.

The Patriots won their first three SB's by three points each. The Cowboys? No such thing as luck.

Over the past 25 seasons or more, every time they got close, they lost by an inch. The catch that wasn't a catch. The Aaron Rodgers perfect throw. A single play here, a drop there.

One year it's going to happen. The Cowboys will be divined that one small sliver of something that has eluded them an entire generation....luck. A bounce in the right direction.....a fortuitous call from an official.....an historic postseason play... that propels them forward.

Why not this year?

Why not a year where all the best players stay healthy? They don't lose an All Pro to a freak injury. The play that had to be made happens because that player wasn't sitting at home in a cast.

The team continues to play past November. They acquire the ever elusive MOMENTUM in January. They don't have that bitter, gut wrenching, soul burning, eternal life draining play that ends the season in unforgettable cold misery.

..........."sigh"......
Well my friend…two thoughts on your excellent post…
  • Jimmy Johnson used to say, “You make your own luck” which I mostly agree with. You have to be good enough to get to the playoffs and good enough to get to a conference championship game. Then you might need a little bit of luck.
  • The problem in Big D is not a lack of luck. It’s a lack of leadership at the top. The Owner chooses not to hire a great HC, chooses to remain the face of the franchise, and has shown he is incapable of constructing a roster that can get you in position for some luck,
I 100% agree with you that “someday” we are going to get to a conference championship game again, maybe even to a SB. Getting there next year will require more than luck. Perhaps a miracle. I hope every year or I wouldn’t bother being here. My heart hopes. My eyes and brain tell me we aren’t capable of making “our own luck” yet. Someday….

shabazz

Reaction score
The obvious: right now the Cowboys fan base is in the middle of an 18 month boring/inactive time by the front office. The team will fight for a wildcard and that’s about it.

That’s due to the fact they have 70 million in dead cap next year and will have to replace up to 29 free agents next year.

Next free agency will be the same as they’ll need a bunch of vet minimum guys just to fill out the roster.

HOWEVER come draft April 2025 things get exciting again. Dallas will draft at least 2-3 “sexy picks” next year. They’ll need a starting WR2, RB, 3T, MLB and other depth pieces.

So there will be a fresh infusion of new primary players and of course we won’t even touch on the Dak situation.

So yes this year will be painful as the worst case scenario is to go 11-6 and be one and done. Better would be to go 7-10 and miss the playoffs to be higher to pick each of these primary pieces.

Of course there could also be a new coaching staff here and I’ll put in my early pick: LINCOLN RILEY who’s said college is getting harder to HCs and he may be done after he sees what life is like without Caleb and having to travel to Northwestern/Rutgers to play conference games.

This has been my sentiments for the last month or more.

However the Dak issue does determine some of the next steps. If he's not resigned, it's a moot point but if gets resigned at a mega contract it will continue to limit FA signing if they want go get players STILL in their prime.

At least Ceedee and Parsons can be traded if they don't want to give then the bag which will result in more quality picks

We just don't know exactly the path the FO has charted.

Motorola

Reaction score

More so on the Trojans head coach's mind would be a trip to "The Big House" in Ann Arbor to face the defending national champions (Sept. 24th), than the two teams you mentioned (Northwestern not on the schedule, Rutgers is a home game in LA).

Last edited:

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
First of all it's nonsense to be looking that far ahead not knowing all the variables so can we stop the nonsense of worrying about 2025 before a snap is played in 2024 I mean for all we know Prescott could sign a new deal right before the season I mean can we just like calm down on the negative post they're almost like 18 months from any kind of real data to support it???!!:facepalm:
Um… real data is there’s currently 29 contracts that run out after the season. Do you think all of a sudden the Jones boys are going to change their MO?

This isn’t a negative post. It’s to build excitement for next April.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
You know this was said that Dan Quinn's job to lose and Mike McCarthy would lose his job and somehow it didn't happen can we like all calm down on like predictions like it's already a lot for Zimmer yeah that was supposed to be a lock for both Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn..

we heard all about it but fans think they have Jerry Jones figured out and then boom,

bill belichick's the next head coach here just because you think it won't be a good mix.. I prefer vrabel over all the hypotheticals being mentioned... Just think it a little deeper if you think like most fans around here accuse Jerry Jones of just wanna selling tickets and wanting to be in the spotlight will you hire a big Bill Belichick and automatically it's a big news story.. It could help if you have like 30% of your team in some kind of flux or rebuild with not one quarterback under contract you bring in a big game head coach and that could kind of quell the concerns a little bit and get the news story back on you in a positive way...
Vrabel would probably be my top choice especially for how the team is built right now. Will it happen? Idk if it’s splashy enough.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Um… real data is there’s currently 29 contracts that run out after the season. Do you think all of a sudden the Jones boys are going to change their MO?

This isn’t a negative post. It’s to build excitement for next April.
And I'm gonna say it again it's ridiculous to start talking about 2025 we haven't even entered training camp for 2024.... Not gonna even get excited for game one this year just five months away.. Just like right now with the baseball season I don't really follow the Texas Rangers too closely I don't worry about the games there's too many damn games when we get to mid season I'll start looking into where they really have a shot this year or not and start watching more of them...

So yes looking to 2025 before training camp of 2024 is a little bit ridiculous...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Full confession. I gave dead serious consideration suspending myself for breaking site rule #31 after reading that prediction several times.
Hey I'm just saying that because people think it won't happen, that's the very thing that will happen...

I gave my explanation why, it makes sense if the team itself looks down looks like Jerry's going to have to do some extra selling, the best thing to do is bring in Bill Belichick, that'll take the focus off of the actual team itself and give the fan base something to talk about and the media of course... Be a pretty big story. Why are you totally against it?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Vrabel would probably be my top choice especially for how the team is built right now. Will it happen? Idk if it’s splashy enough.
Yes out of those two I said that would be my first choice because he's younger he's more in touch with the current players I like the way he built A-Team inside out just tough running team defense first so yeah he'd be my first choice I'm saying the thing Jerry would do is if the team does look like it couldn't need a rebuild and it could be a down year from the fans and media standpoint best thing to do would be bring in Bill Belichick would be a big story it would take the focus off the actual team itself and that's the kind of thing Jerry does... I mean you never know I mean Bill Belichick could have enough left to do a little short stint like bill Parcells....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are you totally against it?
lol. I would not be against Bill Belichick coming to Dallas.

I do not necessarily criticize Jerry Jones decision making based upon what I would do as GM. I have always criticized Jones' decision making (or in this case hypothetical decision making) because he has a poor history of it that he repeats on a nearly yearly basis.

In my opinion, Belichick wants the same authority he had in New England. I think Belichick was not hired by Atlanta for this reason, despite the public statement released on the matter to the contrary. And if Arthur Blank is resistant to that hiring condition, Jerral Wayne Jones Sr. sure as Hell will not sign Belichick.

There may be the possibility of the Jones/Belichick friendship being used as a supportive counterargument. I will ignore it beforehand.

Jones supposedly had a great relationship with Sean Payton. Payton has (or had) a home in the Dallas area. Payton could have easily been the Dallas Cowboy head coach after Jones kicked Mike McCarthy to the curb. He has done worse to a better head coach in the past. And Payton ended up in Denver.

Jones' narcissism will not cede near or full control to anyone. Belichick is an 'anyone' so no I do not see that happening--not while Jones is breathing that is.

Now Jones may come back as a ghost, visit Stephen Jones one day and confess he would have hired Belichick when the opportunity had presented itself while he was living. Anyone is liable to admit anything if they ever managed to escape the Underworld.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Maybe I just don’t get it. I would never want Dallas to tank for a high draft pick. Even if they don't extend Dak (have a hard time believing he won't from a business standpoint at very least) they are still on target for a 11 or 12 win season and probably a playoff game.

Hate Dak, love Dak, I don't care. I care about Dallas winning. Been here for everyone of each season and losing is not something I ever cared for but I will take being in the playoffs every year with any small chance of winning than ever settling for a losing season.

The cap will most likely jump to around $290 million in 2025 and $330 million in 2026 so it constantly jumps. And thinking Dak or any player is going to take less is foolhardy, would you take less because your company needed to hire say a secretary because it would everyone's job a little easier, you wouldn't.

Owners never take less and please don't bring up Brady. His salary appeared to not be top dollar but you have no idea what items he got through other business interests due to Kraft. His net worth though football was some 400 million and still rising with an analyst contract of 375 million. Not to mention his now ex wife worth through their marriage was over 500 million. How many NFL players wives have that much net worth, answer zero.

Praise Dak, condemn Dak, the fact is he is at least a top 10 QB and they don't grow on trees so we live with his short comings until we can find a good one somewhere down the line.

Winning is always better than losing. Always.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Maybe I just don’t get it. I would never want Dallas to tank for a high draft pick. Even if they don't extend Dak (have a hard time believing he won't from a business standpoint at very least) they are still on target for a 11 or 12 win season and probably a playoff game.

Hate Dak, love Dak, I don't care. I care about Dallas winning. Been here for everyone of each season and losing is not something I ever cared for but I will take being in the playoffs every year with any small chance of winning than ever settling for a losing season.

The cap will most likely jump to around $290 million in 2025 and $330 million in 2026 so it constantly jumps. And thinking Dak or any player is going to take less is foolhardy, would you take less because your company needed to hire say a secretary because it would everyone's job a little easier, you wouldn't.

Owners never take less and please don't bring up Brady. His salary appeared to not be top dollar but you have no idea what items he got through other business interests due to Kraft. His net worth though football was some 400 million and still rising with an analyst contract of 375 million. Not to mention his now ex wife worth through their marriage was over 500 million. How many NFL players wives have that much net worth, answer zero.

Praise Dak, condemn Dak, the fact is he is at least a top 10 QB and they don't grow on trees so we live with his short comings until we can find a good one somewhere down the line.

Winning is always better than losing. Always.
The athletic said this week not to expect another bump beyond 10 million/year in the cap. Supposedly this year was an abberation.

Creeper

Reaction score
Regardless of whether it is dead money or not, it is definitely hitting the CAP in 2025 so next year looks like another lean year for Dallas. Now the question is, do they compound the problem by giving Dak a $60 million per year deal? and CeeDee a $30 million /year deal?

It looks like the lesson Dallas learned from Zeke, Gallup and others they drafted is they aren't worth resigning either because Dallas made no attempt to sign any of their better free agents this year. I think Jerry may try to get it done with Dak and some scraps!

exciter

Reaction score
uh oh. Jerry Jones is still in charge. Hopefully, no one will hold their breath waiting for him to hire Lincoln Riley.
Lol, no worries holding my breath… I couldn’t think of a dumber hire!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
How much strategy went into The Helmet Catch?

To me, it would be so ironic if the Cowboys didn't play as nearly as well as they have recently during the regular season only to peak right at playoff time and go further than they have in the past 25 years.
As you so aptly documented,
We are due!

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Also due in the next 2 years are Bland and Ferguson. Guessing they’d let them walk.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Going cheap on QB is the fastest way to fix a bad cap situation.
Should have at least drafted a guy.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
This is an 8-9 win team right now imo, and that’s going to suck going into the draft next year as that will put us in the middle of the pack. If we end up with an 8-9 win team we probably miss the playoffs and they don’t resign Dak. It’s a very weird year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
R.92a16f5e3b9e6a93d547e2cea14178c7