Good News/Bad News

Flamma

Reaction score
How does Martin sign some place else while under contract in Dallas? DLaw can, he'll be a FA.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How does Martin sign some place else while under contract in Dallas? DLaw can, he'll be a FA.
He will not play for $1.255M. So he will retire, demand more money or be released.

I guess we could always extend him again.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Neither will play for $1.255M next year.

Jerry will hope they sign somewhere else for future comp picks.
Lawrence is scheduled to be paid 7.4 million in 2025, his last year of contract. No reason to cut him.

Martin has 2025 and 2026 still left on his deal. If he plays well in 2024, he should be back in 2025 only counting 10 million against the cap. 2026 will probably be where Dallas makes the transition when his cap number is 17 million.

Flamma

Reaction score
He will not play for $1.255M. So he will retire, demand more money or be released.

I guess we could always extend him again.
Ok. But we don't get a comp pick if we release the player, right?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol 7- 10
5- 12 best case

Unless Lance IS the guy.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
One of these years......

The Cowboys will have a "miracle" season.

Why? Because the Cowboys have never been given anything easily. Never!

Every SB or NFL championship game decided by a TD or less played by them have been lost, all five. Every SB won had to have a double digit margin of victory, all five.

The Patriots won their first three SB's by three points each. The Cowboys? No such thing as luck.

Over the past 25 seasons or more, every time they got close, they lost by an inch. The catch that wasn't a catch. The Aaron Rodgers perfect throw. A single play here, a drop there.

One year it's going to happen. The Cowboys will be divined that one small sliver of something that has eluded them an entire generation....luck. A bounce in the right direction.....a fortuitous call from an official.....an historic postseason play... that propels them forward.

Why not this year?

Why not a year where all the best players stay healthy? They don't lose an All Pro to a freak injury. The play that had to be made happens because that player wasn't sitting at home in a cast.

The team continues to play past November. They acquire the ever elusive MOMENTUM in January. They don't have that bitter, gut wrenching, soul burning, eternal life draining play that ends the season in unforgettable cold misery.

..........."sigh"......
Hope is not a strategy ...

gtb1943

Reaction score
How much strategy went into The Helmet Catch?

To me, it would be so ironic if the Cowboys didn't play as nearly as well as they have recently during the regular season only to peak right at playoff time and go further than they have in the past 25 years.
The helmet catch would not have mattered if the Giants D had not shut the Pats and Brady down. I do not see our D being THAT good at all.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The obvious: right now the Cowboys fan base is in the middle of an 18 month boring/inactive time by the front office. The team will fight for a wildcard and that’s about it.

That’s due to the fact they have 70 million in dead cap next year and will have to replace up to 29 free agents next year.

So this year they had to get linemen and LBs - no sexy picks.

Next free agency will be the same as they’ll need a bunch of vet minimum guys just to fill out the roster.

HOWEVER come draft April 2025 things get exciting again. Dallas will draft at least 2-3 “sexy picks” next year. They’ll need a starting WR2, RB, 3T, MLB and other depth pieces.

So there will be a fresh infusion of new primary players and of course we won’t even touch on the Dak situation.

So yes this year will be painful as the worst case scenario is to go 11-6 and be one and done. Better would be to go 7-10 and miss the playoffs to be higher to pick each of these primary pieces.

Of course there could also be a new coaching staff here and I’ll put in my early pick: LINCOLN RILEY who’s said college is getting harder to HCs and he may be done after he sees what life is like without Caleb and having to travel to Northwestern/Rutgers to play conference games.

Hibernate and check back in next spring!
Could you have said what was good and bad?

plasticman

Reaction score
The helmet catch would not have mattered if the Giants D had not shut the Pats and Brady down. I do not see our D being THAT good at all.
27th ranked defense in the NFL that season. 29th against the pass.

But the team had the character to fight all the way. Got to give them their due.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The obvious: right now the Cowboys fan base is in the middle of an 18 month boring/inactive time by the front office. The team will fight for a wildcard and that’s about it.

That’s due to the fact they have 70 million in dead cap next year and will have to replace up to 29 free agents next year.

So this year they had to get linemen and LBs - no sexy picks.

Next free agency will be the same as they’ll need a bunch of vet minimum guys just to fill out the roster.

HOWEVER come draft April 2025 things get exciting again. Dallas will draft at least 2-3 “sexy picks” next year. They’ll need a starting WR2, RB, 3T, MLB and other depth pieces.

So there will be a fresh infusion of new primary players and of course we won’t even touch on the Dak situation.

So yes this year will be painful as the worst case scenario is to go 11-6 and be one and done. Better would be to go 7-10 and miss the playoffs to be higher to pick each of these primary pieces.

Of course there could also be a new coaching staff here and I’ll put in my early pick: LINCOLN RILEY who’s said college is getting harder to HCs and he may be done after he sees what life is like without Caleb and having to travel to Northwestern/Rutgers to play conference games.

Hibernate and check back in next spring!
I hope the wheels fall off and Dak is gone. My biggest wish is the wheels fall of for 2 seasons and we get the first pick in 26 and get Manning.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Hard pass on Riley. He doesn't believe in strength training, and has no interest in building a defense. He has one thing going for him, and that's putting his QBs in a position to elevate their draft stock.

His best years were in the immediate aftermath of Bob Stoops' retirement. Since then, he has failed to put together a strong team with his own recruited players, even though most of those guys are 4 and 5 star recruits. He's all flash, no substance. Maybe he'd be a strong QB coach or OC when USC fires him, but I'd rather keep McCarthy than entertaining bringing this clown in as the face of the Dallas Cowboys. Just my .02.
I agree. Hard pass on Lincoln Riley. Would much prefer the OC from either the Lions or Texans.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's going to be Zimmer.

I've been hitting a high percentage of predictions lately just going by what I think is the worst move Jerry can make.
It would not surprise me if his choice is Mike Zimmer too. Zimmer would already be in-house. It would save him from his usual lackadaisical head coaching search he typically conducts.

Zimmer is a hardnosed coach in the eyes of his players but Jerry Jones knows and has history with him. The latter is true in reverse from Zimmer's perspective and will be compliant with how Jones runs things.

It will be interesting to see how comfortable Zimmer will look on the team war room cam during the draft. Will he seem like he 'fits in comfortably' sitting on the right side of Jerry Almighty, trying to select key additions to the roster? I have not really gotten that impression watching Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy since Jones redesigned the war room into a corporate boardroom/throne chamber.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And 29 roster spots to fill.
First of all it's nonsense to be looking that far ahead not knowing all the variables so can we stop the nonsense of worrying about 2025 before a snap is played in 2024 I mean for all we know Prescott could sign a new deal right before the season I mean can we just like calm down on the negative post they're almost like 18 months from any kind of real data to support it???!!:facepalm:

blueblood70

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if his choice is Mike Zimmer too. Zimmer would already be in-house. It would save him from his usual lackadaisical head coaching search he typically conducts.

Zimmer is a hardnosed coach in the eyes of his players but Jerry Jones knows and has history with him. The latter is true in reverse from Zimmer's perspective and will be compliant with how Jones runs things.

It will be interesting to see how comfortable Zimmer will look on the team war room cam during the draft. Will he seem like he 'fits in comfortably' sitting on the right side of Jerry Almighty, trying to select key additions to the roster? I have not really gotten that impression watching Jason Garrett and Mike McCarthy since Jones redesigned the war room into a corporate boardroom/throne chamber.
You know this was said that Dan Quinn's job to lose and Mike McCarthy would lose his job and somehow it didn't happen can we like all calm down on like predictions like it's already a lot for Zimmer yeah that was supposed to be a lock for both Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn..

we heard all about it but fans think they have Jerry Jones figured out and then boom,

bill belichick's the next head coach here just because you think it won't be a good mix.. I prefer vrabel over all the hypotheticals being mentioned... Just think it a little deeper if you think like most fans around here accuse Jerry Jones of just wanna selling tickets and wanting to be in the spotlight will you hire a big Bill Belichick and automatically it's a big news story.. It could help if you have like 30% of your team in some kind of flux or rebuild with not one quarterback under contract you bring in a big game head coach and that could kind of quell the concerns a little bit and get the news story back on you in a positive way...