Good News/Bad News

tunahelper

Reaction score
One of these years......

The Cowboys will have a "miracle" season.

Why? Because the Cowboys have never been given anything easily. Never!

Every SB or NFL championship game decided by a TD or less played by them have been lost, all five. Every SB won had to have a double digit margin of victory, all five.

The Patriots won their first three SB's by three points each. The Cowboys? No such thing as luck.

Over the past 25 seasons or more, every time they got close, they lost by an inch. The catch that wasn't a catch. The Aaron Rodgers perfect throw. A single play here, a drop there.

One year it's going to happen. The Cowboys will be divined that one small sliver of something that has eluded them an entire generation....luck. A bounce in the right direction.....a fortuitous call from an official.....an historic postseason play... that propels them forward.

Why not this year?

Why not a year where all the best players stay healthy? They don't lose an All Pro to a freak injury. The play that had to be made happens because that player wasn't sitting at home in a cast.

The team continues to play past November. They acquire the ever elusive MOMENTUM in January. They don't have that bitter, gut wrenching, soul burning, eternal life draining play that ends the season in unforgettable cold misery.

..........."sigh"......
No Jimmy to offset Jerry.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
In my opinion, Belichick wants the same authority he had in New England. I think Belichick was not hired by Atlanta for this reason, despite the public statement released on the matter to the contrary. And if Arthur Blank is resistant to that hiring condition, Jerral Wayne Jones Sr. sure as Hell will not sign Belichick.

There may be the possibility of the Jones/Belichick friendship being used as a supportive counterargument.
If our season is bad enough to get MM fired, Zim will be part of that. So I am not sure he gets a chance unless MM is fired mid-season. There is a long article about what went wrong between Belichick and the Falcons on one of the paid sites. Belichick assured Blank he could work with the GM and he only wanted to coach. He left the interview confident he had the job but Falcon President, Rich McCay and GM didn't trust his only want-to-coach statement. In other words, impressive experience and resume intimidates GMs. This is why he and Jerry would make the perfect match.....he gets to deal directly with GM, Pres, and owner. I see him as Jerry's top choice if MM is fired........

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...k-no-doubt-in-my-mind-we-could-work-together/

Cowboys' Jerry Jones on former Patriots coach Bill Belichick: 'No doubt in my mind we could work together'​

Jones has retained Mike McCarthy for 2024​

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If our season is bad enough to get MM fired, Zim will be part of that. So I am not sure he gets a chance unless MM is fired mid-season. There is a long article about what went wrong between Belichick and the Falcons on one of the paid sites. Belichick assured Blank he could work with the GM and he only wanted to coach. He left the interview confident he had the job but Falcon President, Rich McCay and GM didn't trust his only want-to-coach statement. In other words, impressive experience and resume intimidates GMs. This is why he and Jerry would make the perfect match.....he gets to deal directly with GM, Pres, and owner. I see him as Jerry's top choice if MM is fired........

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...k-no-doubt-in-my-mind-we-could-work-together/

Cowboys' Jerry Jones on former Patriots coach Bill Belichick: 'No doubt in my mind we could work together'​

Jones has retained Mike McCarthy for 2024​

Okay.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry CAN work with anyone, but won't unless he has all the power. Thus, welcome back Big Mike.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry CAN work with anyone, but won't unless he has all the power. Thus, welcome back Big Mike.
Are you certain? Did you read Jerry Jones' quote? He said, "I know him personally, and I like him [Belichick]. There's no doubt in my mind we could work together. None. None."

Anything coming from Jones' mouth is gospel. I recall him talking about his relationship with Sean Payton before the head coach ended up with...

Wait. Something is not mathing quite right...

Flamma

Reaction score
Are you certain? Did you read Jerry Jones' quote? He said, "I know him personally, and I like him [Belichick]. There's no doubt in my mind we could work together. None. None."

Anything coming from Jones' mouth is gospel. I recall him talking about his relationship with Sean Payton before the head coach ended up with...

Wait. Something is not mathing quite right...
I absolutely believe Belichick will be the Cowboys head coach next year. Not because of anything Jerry said, just because of how all of this is playing out. It's set up perfectly provided Bill wants to be head coach of the Cowboys. It's a good team to go to if he wants to beat Shula's record.

This is fat Mike's last year. After we fizzle out, you don't think Jerry is going to seriously consider BB? I think that's who we're getting unless Bill doesn't want to be in Dallas.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
One of these years......

The Cowboys will have a "miracle" season.

Why? Because the Cowboys have never been given anything easily. Never!

Every SB or NFL championship game decided by a TD or less played by them have been lost, all five. Every SB won had to have a double digit margin of victory, all five.

The Patriots won their first three SB's by three points each. The Cowboys? No such thing as luck.

Over the past 25 seasons or more, every time they got close, they lost by an inch. The catch that wasn't a catch. The Aaron Rodgers perfect throw. A single play here, a drop there.

One year it's going to happen. The Cowboys will be divined that one small sliver of something that has eluded them an entire generation....luck. A bounce in the right direction.....a fortuitous call from an official.....an historic postseason play... that propels them forward.

Why not this year?

Why not a year where all the best players stay healthy? They don't lose an All Pro to a freak injury. The play that had to be made happens because that player wasn't sitting at home in a cast.

The team continues to play past November. They acquire the ever elusive MOMENTUM in January. They don't have that bitter, gut wrenching, soul burning, eternal life draining play that ends the season in unforgettable cold misery.

..........."sigh"......
That someday could be 20-30 years down the road!
I hope you’re not holding your breath!

blueblood70

Reaction score
lol. I would not be against Bill Belichick coming to Dallas.

I do not necessarily criticize Jerry Jones decision making based upon what I would do as GM. I have always criticized Jones' decision making (or in this case hypothetical decision making) because he has a poor history of it that he repeats on a nearly yearly basis.

In my opinion, Belichick wants the same authority he had in New England. I think Belichick was not hired by Atlanta for this reason, despite the public statement released on the matter to the contrary. And if Arthur Blank is resistant to that hiring condition, Jerral Wayne Jones Sr. sure as Hell will not sign Belichick.

There may be the possibility of the Jones/Belichick friendship being used as a supportive counterargument. I will ignore it beforehand.

Jones supposedly had a great relationship with Sean Payton. Payton has (or had) a home in the Dallas area. Payton could have easily been the Dallas Cowboy head coach after Jones kicked Mike McCarthy to the curb. He has done worse to a better head coach in the past. And Payton ended up in Denver.

Jones' narcissism will not cede near or full control to anyone. Belichick is an 'anyone' so no I do not see that happening--not while Jones is breathing that is.

Now Jones may come back as a ghost, visit Stephen Jones one day and confess he would have hired Belichick when the opportunity had presented itself while he was living. Anyone is liable to admit anything if they ever managed to escape the Underworld.
I agree with half that so halfway through it I gotta stop reading but I don't think Bill Belichick is gonna be as demanding as he was in New England he's gonna have a year to think about it he doesn't have much time left, he's up in age and I think he will give some he'll be humbled a little bit...

I don't think he's looking for full control GM and that's where they clashed in New England the last five years and don't say their owner didn't get involved either there was a whole lot of mess going on with backup quarterbacks of the future and when to get rid of Tom Brady I believe there could be a compromise between the two but in my opinion... By the way we saw a team breakdown they lost more and more talent their drafts weren't very well so I believe somebody could take a look back a little bit and be humbled and don't need to be the GM buying all the groceries.. But hey this is all hypothetical..

I'd rather have vrabel for the age, I think he connects with this generation better, I think he can work with Jerry better and I also believe I like the way he does defense first run game trenches inside out... I like the guys schemes..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is fat Mike's last year. After we fizzle out, you don't think Jerry is going to seriously consider BB? I think that's who we're getting unless Bill doesn't want to be in Dallas.
Hopefully, every single CowboysZone member will ridicule me for my answer one day. I hope so because I have less than zero problems with Bill Belichick becoming the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

I think 72-year old Belichick has strongly considered coaching in Dallas. Additionally, I think Belichick would tell Jerry Jones, face-to-face at 73 years old, he has overseen NFL level football management operations that netted his former employer nine conference championship appearances and six league championships. I think Belichick will mention being named as an NFL executive of the year. I think Belichick will say he has been coaching at the professional level for 49 years. At some point, I think Belichick might, jokingly, infer his innate understanding of the sport, which is a combination of coaching and management, far exceeds Jones'. I think there is even the tiniest possibility Belichick will sarcastically add:

"Jerry, you really don't expect me to sit to the side of you during a draft like a less than qualified little puppy dog, do you?"

My answer to your question?

Nee. Ez. Não. Nee. No. Ei. Non. Nein. όχι. नहीं. Tidak. いいえ. 아니요. Nei. Nie. нет. Nej. Hindi. Hayır. ні. Không. Heck to the Naw.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with half that so halfway through it I gotta stop reading but I don't think Bill Belichick is gonna be as demanding as he was in New England he's gonna have a year to think about it he doesn't have much time left, he's up in age and I think he will give some he'll be humbled a little bit...

I don't think he's looking for full control GM and that's where they clashed in New England the last five years and don't say their owner didn't get involved either there was a whole lot of mess going on with backup quarterbacks of the future and when to get rid of Tom Brady I believe there could be a compromise between the two but in my opinion... By the way we saw a team breakdown they lost more and more talent their drafts weren't very well so I believe somebody could take a look back a little bit and be humbled and don't need to be the GM buying all the groceries.. But hey this is all hypothetical..

I'd rather have vrabel for the age, I think he connects with this generation better, I think he can work with Jerry better and I also believe I like the way he does defense first run game trenches inside out... I like the guys schemes..
uh oh. Please read this (click here). This is all I have to say and nothing further.

blueblood70

Reaction score
uh oh. Please read this (click here). This is all I have to say and nothing further.
Look I read that and that's all well and good but we're all making assumptions about the inner workings of a man's mind some people are humbled and by the way Jerry Jones has his whole group which I believe one of them his name is will mcclay who is really the actual GM without the title is plenty involved along with other scouts in the draft and I'm sure just like Jerry gives latitude to his coaching staff about who they should pick like just say for instance there's three guys on the board all with the equal grade and Mike Zimmer walks up and wants this controversial linebacker from Notre Dame versus a running back and guess what he got his guy why wouldn't Bill Belichick be involved in the draft Jerry Jones just doesn't sit there by himself I mean that is what this place thinks a man's up there with a gavel like judge jury and executioner and doesn't allow people to do their jobs that is wrong in my opinion you guys may think that but Jerry Jones leans on his people a lot more than people think and if Bill Belichick did come here Jerry would value his opinion in the draft room and in free agency he may not get full rain full grocery shopping duties he may have a budget per se when it comes to who can come and who can go but let's just calm down here about Jerry not being able to work well with strong personalities because he did it with bill Parcells and yes it was short but built ourselves at Jimmy Johnson very similar personalities we're never staying here much longer than they did had nothing to do with Jerry they're always looking for the new challenge and that's the same thing with Bill Belichick we might get two to three seasons out of him but hey it could be hey it could be a positive we we don't know I'm just throwing it out there it's all hypothetical...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

NBfbB6o.gif

Flamma

Reaction score
Hopefully, every single CowboysZone member will ridicule me for my answer one day. I hope so because I have less than zero problems with Bill Belichick becoming the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

I think 72-year old Belichick has strongly considered coaching in Dallas. Additionally, I think Belichick would tell Jerry Jones, face-to-face at 73 years old, he has overseen NFL level football management operations that netted his former employer nine conference championship appearances and six league championships. I think Belichick will mention being named as an NFL executive of the year. I think Belichick will say he has been coaching at the professional level for 49 years. At some point, I think Belichick might, jokingly, infer his innate understanding of the sport, which is a combination of coaching and management, far exceeds Jones'. I think there is even the tiniest possibility Belichick will sarcastically add:

"Jerry, you really don't expect me to sit to the side of you during a draft like a less than qualified little puppy dog, do you?"

My answer to your question?

Nee. Ez. Não. Nee. No. Ei. Non. Nein. όχι. नहीं. Tidak. いいえ. 아니요. Nei. Nie. нет. Nej. Hindi. Hayır. ні. Không. Heck to the Naw.
There's nothing wrong with this take. It's with the assumption that Belichick still wants to GM. In that case, I agree with you 100%. That can't work unless Jerry cedes power. Highly unlikely.

I'm removing that assumption. I think Bill is only in it for Shula's record at this point in his career. There. No need to waste time rehashing his illustrious career by giving Jerry an NFL history lesson. They can just sit there and drink Johnny Walker Blue while discussing a contract.

I don't know what Bill wants. That's the reason I added, unless Bill doesn't want to be in Dallas. Which leans heavily to what you are saying.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know what Bill wants. That's the reason I added, unless Bill doesn't want to be in Dallas. Which leans heavily to what you are saying.
Can you state how I phrased or inferred Bill Belichick does not want to be in Dallas? I think Belichick would have taken the Falcons opening and tried to beat Don Shula's record if Atlanta had accepted his terms of employment. I believe the same will hold true if Belichick interviews in Dallas.

I will try being crystal clear. In my opinion, Arthur Blank was unwilling to extend Belichick that level of authority with his football operations. Likewise, I believe Jerry Jones will especially not extend accept Belichick's terms. I presume Belichick is completely motivated in wanting to beat Shula's all-time win record but not at the expense of bending backwards as an 'unnecessary' concession in his mind.

After all. He had gotten within 15 wins--less than a single regular season--of Shula doing it his way. He will be 73 years old in 2025. I highly doubt he will capitulate to another 'old guy' less qualified than him knowing how to run a football team. He would be Falcon right now, preparing to squeeze 15 more coaching wins in this season and next season if that were true. That is what I am saying.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can you state how I phrased or inferred Bill Belichick does not want to be in Dallas? I think Belichick would have taken the Falcons opening and tried to beat Don Shula's record if Atlanta had accepted his terms of employment. I believe the same will hold true if Belichick interviews in Dallas.

I will try being crystal clear. In my opinion, Arthur Blank was unwilling to extend Belichick that level of authority with his football operations. Likewise, I believe Jerry Jones will especially not extend accept Belichick's terms. I presume Belichick is completely motivated in wanting to beat Shula's all-time win record but not at the expense of bending backwards as an 'unnecessary' concession in his mind.

After all. He had gotten within 15 wins--less than a single regular season--of Shula doing it his way. He will be 73 years old in 2025. I highly doubt he will capitulate to another 'old guy' less qualified than him knowing how to run a football team. He would be Falcon right now, preparing to squeeze 15 more coaching wins in this season and next season if that were true. That is what I am saying.
You answered your own question in this post. This is all I was referring to. You think he wants some control. I don't. When I said he might not want to coach in Dallas, it's for the reasons you put forth. Otherwise he's in.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You answered your own question in this post. This is all I was referring to. You think he wants some control. I don't. When I said he might not want to coach in Dallas, it's for the reasons you put forth. Otherwise he's in.
My bad. I misread you saying '...unless Bill doesn't want to be in Dallas' as meaning to be synonymous and associative with 'leans heavily to what' I supposedly said earlier. I did not say Belichick did not want to be in Dallas. Apologies.

Flamma

Reaction score
My bad. I misread you saying '...unless Bill doesn't want to be in Dallas' as meaning to be synonymous and associative with 'leans heavily to what' I supposedly said earlier. I did not say Belichick did not want to be in Dallas. Apologies.
No problem. That's how I hedged my bet. Because I don't know. If I'm wrong, it's because you're right.

Didn't Jerry Jones cede some power to the oversized tuna? Do you think we could both be wrong, and he'd do it again? Not that I'm crazy about Bill's GM skills, because it was made easier with Tom Brady. But I can't believe he's worse than Jerry.

Motorola

Reaction score
lol. I would not be against Bill Belichick coming to Dallas.

I do not necessarily criticize Jerry Jones decision making based upon what I would do as GM. I have always criticized Jones' decision making (or in this case hypothetical decision making) because he has a poor history of it that he repeats on a nearly yearly basis.

There may be the possibility of the Jones/Belichick friendship being used as a supportive counterargument. I will ignore it beforehand.

Jones supposedly had a great relationship with Sean Payton. Payton has (or had) a home in the Dallas area. Payton could have easily been the Dallas Cowboy head coach after Jones kicked Mike McCarthy to the curb. He has done worse to a better head coach in the past. And Payton ended up in Denver.

Jones' narcissism will not cede near or full control to anyone. Belichick is an 'anyone' so no I do not see that happening--not while Jones is breathing that is.

Now Jones may come back as a ghost, visit Stephen Jones one day and confess he would have hired Belichick when the opportunity had presented itself while he was living. Anyone is liable to admit anything if they ever managed to escape the Underworld.
From your new avatar DallasEast, I'm guessing you are an appreciable fan of cinema.
Your last post rates as a bonifide movie plot that will draw plenty of people (certainly Cowboys fans) to see.
Write up a "Cliff Notes" version of it - then shop it around the entertainment industry.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I can see Belichick not demanding final GM say long before him being ok with Jerry and his kid constantly on the radio talking about things that BB goes out of his way to keep private.

Personally I’d rather take a shot at a younger guy who can build here for a decade, but if BB coming aboard gets these two to finally shut their mouths, Im in.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No problem. That's how I hedged my bet. Because I don't know. If I'm wrong, it's because you're right.

Didn't Jerry Jones cede some power to the oversized tuna? Do you think we could both be wrong, and he'd do it again? Not that I'm crazy about Bill's GM skills, because it was made easier with Tom Brady. But I can't believe he's worse than Jerry.
Jones ceded some of his authority to Bill Parcells but it was illusionary at best. The entire Terrell Owens acquisition was one example highlighting what degree of authority Jones gave up. The best and most funny situation underscoring it was the famous 'You Got Sucked' press interview with Parcells. He was literally identifying Owens publicly as 'The Player'.

Yeah, Parcells was <expletive> around with the media but no one will convince me some of that nonsense was due to Jones making a roster acquisition he did not sign-off on. Eventually, that example would not be worse one showing his Lone Wolf GM tendency. The Trey Lance trade last August topped that one.