Goodell a great Commish for the times

Haimerej

Reaction score
  • Since Goodell took over commissionership back in 2006, the league's annual revenue has increasedfrom $6.5 billion to $13.2 billion. That's more than double. According to our own numbers here at Forbes, only five teams were valued at $1-plus billion back in 2006.

It won't stay that way if they keep losing viewers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It won't stay that way if they keep losing viewers.
Not necessarily if they continue generating revenue from other streams like increased ticket prices, stadium sponsorships , fantasy football , Internet services and the next bonanza is probably gambling.

The lofty goal of reaching 25 billion under his watch is still in play. TV viewership decline could simply be a reflection trend of the times. Ultimately the total revenue is the measurement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That doesn't account for a 65% drop in viewership.

The trend also started before the pandemic.
Yes but isn’t the trend in direct correlation to overall decline in TV viewership which if I recall correctly live sports wasn’t impacted as much, at least initially.

How do you account for the overall decline in TV viewership ? Perhaps it’s similar symptoms as sports.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not necessarily if they continue generating revenue from other streams like increased ticket prices, stadium sponsorships , fantasy football , Internet services and the next bonanza is probably gambling.

The lofty goal of reaching 25 billion under his watch is still in play. TV viewership decline could simply be a reflection trend of the times. Ultimately the total revenue is the measurement.

Do sports generally make money off gambling? That isn't a conflict of interest?

You're avoiding that the Super Bowl ratings include the other options you blame for loss of TV viewership. Again, that 91 million number included digital media.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yes but isn’t the trend in direct correlation to overall decline in TV viewership which if I recall correctly live sports wasn’t impacted as much, at least initially.

How do you account for the overall decline in TV viewership ? Perhaps it’s similar symptoms as sports.

The overall decline in, "TV," is simply due to other options. People are still wasting as much time as they did before. Watching a show online vs your TV isn't what we're talking about. Again- the last few years they've measured digital media and still they're losing viewers.

Total minutes of sports viewing is actually up, which tells me people are finding alternative sports to view.

You brought up people watching more news earlier. That tends to happen in election years. It wasn't a problem before.

kskboys

Reaction score

1. The NO non-call.
2. Outside issues being constantly addressed.
3. Many other entertainments now available.
4. Ref bias becoming more and more obvious.
5. Too much personal player stuff. (Makes them just people as opposed to heroes or gods or whatever). IMO, we have now found out that we only thought we wanted to know the players in person and to hear them speak all the time.
6. Soap opera programs such as BSPN and others.
7. Too much Offense. Sounds good at first, but then it starts getting old.
8. Extreme greed by players. Turns fans off.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The overall decline in, "TV," is simply due to other options. People are still wasting as much time as they did before. Watching a show online vs your TV isn't what we're talking about. Again- the last few years they've measured digital media and still they're losing viewers.

Total minutes of sports viewing is actually up, which tells me people are finding alternative sports to view.

You brought up people watching more news earlier. That tends to happen in election years. It wasn't a problem before.
They also credit tremendous increase in watching news to the pandemic because election years don’t normally produce the kind of increases they saw.

Any decreases you’re probably referring to is some of the fans turned off by the leagues social stances they took. Which the league appears to be prepared to lose.

And thank goodness they have taken such a stance. Those aren’t the kind of fans the league wants. They certainly don’t have the best interest for most of the players in the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do sports generally make money off gambling? That isn't a conflict of interest?

You're avoiding that the Super Bowl ratings include the other options you blame for loss of TV viewership. Again, that 91 million number included digital media.
Obviously the league isn’t as concerned about that loss of viewership. They have their eye more on the total revenue generated.

It’s probably most fans who either have other interest than watching TV or are not in support of the social issues the players and the league choose to represent.

I see it as a cleansing of these type of degenerate fans who don’t have the players best interest at heart and have been mislead and misinformed . I salute the NFL for walking away from these type of fans.

Turk

Reaction score
Obviously the league isn’t as concerned about that loss of viewership. They have their eye more on the total revenue generated.

It’s probably most fans who either have other interest than watching TV or are not in support of the social issues the players and the league choose to represent.

I see it as a cleansing of these type of degenerate fans who don’t have the players best interest at heart and have been mislead and misinformed . I salute the NFL for walking away from these type of fans.
You are funny even if you don't mean to be.

The NFL is going down the same road as the NBA. Once upon a time they were pretty much the king of the road as well.

Anyway it is amusing to see you make so many mistakes all together.

Turk

Reaction score
1. The NO non-call.
2. Outside issues being constantly addressed.
3. Many other entertainments now available.
4. Ref bias becoming more and more obvious.
5. Too much personal player stuff. (Makes them just people as opposed to heroes or gods or whatever). IMO, we have now found out that we only thought we wanted to know the players in person and to hear them speak all the time.
6. Soap opera programs such as BSPN and others.
7. Too much Offense. Sounds good at first, but then it starts getting old.
8. Extreme greed by players. Turns fans off.
Not just the NO no call; seems like once a season at least there is a huge screw up - and of course the on going soap opera that is the 'legitimate catch' rule.
A lot of factors and most of it is because the NFL leadership truly thinks its bulletproof. Goodell is just as stupid as the owners and most of the union leadership.
Pandering to pressure groups is another factor
And one of the biggest is ignoring who their true hard core fans are. Diehard is just like them in thinking the flighty types are the ones to court-just plain stupid since they will find something else soon enough

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not just the NO no call; seems like once a season at least there is a huge screw up - and of course the on going soap opera that is the 'legitimate catch' rule.
A lot of factors and most of it is because the NFL leadership truly thinks its bulletproof. Goodell is just as stupid as the owners and most of the union leadership.
And one of the biggest is ignoring who their true hard core fans are. Diehard is just like them in thinking the flighty types are the ones to court-just plain stupid since they will find something else soon enough
I pride myself being on the right side of history. And I feel confident supporting this plight will be.

And I don’t believe the league thinks it’s bullet proof but contrary to those who are against their position it is the proper public decision in order to maintain their image and public perception with the networks, their sponsors and majority of their fans not to mention the players despite the misinformed and misguided minority opposition.

I applaud the NFL for standing their ground prepared to let this segment walk. Ultimately this segment will need to crawl back under the rock they have been emboldened to stand on . And in time the leagues stance will attract more fringe and casual fans as a result.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score
I pride myself being on the right side of history. And I feel confident supporting this plight will be.

And I don’t believe the league thinks it’s bullet proof but contrary to those who are against their position it is the proper public decision in order to maintain their image and public perception with the networks, their sponsors and majority of their fans not to mention the players despite the misinformed and misguided minority opposition.

I applaud the NFL for standing their ground prepared to let this segment walk. Ultimately this segment will need to crawl back under the rock they have been emboldened to stand on . And in time the leagues stance will attract more fringe and casual fans as a result.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Haimerej

Reaction score
They also credit tremendous increase in watching news to the pandemic because election years don’t normally produce the kind of increases they saw.

Any decreases you’re probably referring to is some of the fans turned off by the leagues social stances they took. Which the league appears to be prepared to lose.

And thank goodness they have taken such a stance. Those aren’t the kind of fans the league wants. They certainly don’t have the best interest for most of the players in the league.

If that's the case, why didn't you state this earlier? Instead you grabbed onto any other possible reason until the facts were so apparent you couldn't dodge them anymore.

Another factor you ignore with your preening is that many fans who are turned off by the NFL's stance aren't even opposed to the side they took. They just prefer stuff like entertainment to stay in it's lane.

Haimerej

Reaction score

You actually pride yourself in going along with media narratives. History is yet to be written. You said the same thing going back and forth on the drug policy. Well, it's changed, nobody cares, and history wasn't on your side.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You actually pride yourself in going along with media narratives. History is yet to be written. You said the same thing going back and forth on the drug policy. Well, it's changed, nobody cares, and history wasn't on your side.
I don’t recall the particular you’re referring to on the drug policies but I imagine I was right until the policies changed which was probably part of the argument.

The mainstream media’s narrative are more on the right side of history and everyone should attempt to align themselves as such much like the NFL has.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If that's the case, why didn't you state this earlier? Instead you grabbed onto any other possible reason until the facts were so apparent you couldn't dodge them anymore.

Another factor you ignore with your preening is that many fans who are turned off by the NFL's stance aren't even opposed to the side they took. They just prefer stuff like entertainment to stay in it's lane.
I thought that was an obvious. We all know that segment were against the stance the league took. I assumed initially you realized but never mentioned as our discussion continued.

And the fact some fans want the players to just shut up and play is another example of the misguided , misinformed and prejudice segment they represent.

I generally don’t support or patronize business or individuals who don’t align with my stance on issues if I’m aware and have a choice. Perhaps this segment should look elsewhere for their entertainment . I’d be just fine not having to deal with some of them at events I attend. Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Can't disagree w/ that.

Except about Goodell. You're completely overrating what he does. The system is designed to pay him a huge amount of money(36 mil/year last I heard) to carry out the owners' bidding and take the heat/hate and keep his mouth shut about who is really making the decisions.

It's the opposite, Goodell is brilliant. He knows enough to collect monster paychecks and keep his mouth shut while following orders. He'll come out of this a billionaire. Yeah, really dumb!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought that was an obvious. We all know that segment were against the stance the league took. I assumed initially you realized but never mentioned as our discussion continued.

And the fact some fans want the players to just shut up and play is another example of the misguided , misinformed and prejudice segment they represent.

I generally don’t support or patronize business or individuals who don’t align with my stance on issues if I’m aware and have a choice. Perhaps this segment should look elsewhere for their entertainment . I’d be just fine not having to deal with some of them at events I attend. Lol
Absolute trash conclusion. Wanting the players to just play is in no way prejudiced. Very very weak, dude.

kskboys

Reaction score

Greg, you are going off the deep end.

People watch the NFL for entertainment, period. You are pretending that fans who simply want to watch football are degenerates because they're not interested in social issues being constantly thrown in their faces during their enterainment. That does not make these fans anything but annoyed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg, you are going off the deep end.

People watch the NFL for entertainment, period. You are pretending that fans who simply want to watch football are degenerates because they're not interested in social issues being constantly thrown in their faces during their enterainment. That does not make these fans anything but annoyed.
I was only referring to a certain segment. I can only respond to what’s presented. And he was speaking for the redneck community. Which I don’t mind taking them on or annoying them much.

They don’t like the issues thrown in their face because they are opposed to their stance on the issues.

Last edited: