Goodell contemplating ending DirectTV's Sunday Ticket

lockster

Reaction score
1. Goodell is a buffoon (had to get that in there)
2. I am in NE Penna and last year, I think there were 2 or 3 games that were not on regular TV here
3. My friendly little "fixed up" firestick got me the rest of the way
4. Did I mention that Goodell is a jerk?
like,ur friend ,to tutor me on a ,Firestick fix up

ghst187

Reaction score
The problem with that is they own the ISPs...

True but there’s more competition in a way since they will have to also compete against cellular companies. Outside the States, many places the cellular service is so cheap even for a ridiculous amount of data that you can go without any wired service at your house and not miss a beat.
The problem in the States is that the cellular providers charge a lot for big data plans. Hopefully these third parties will keep knocking prices down.
But I know plenty of folks that pay circa $150 for cable/internet then another $150-200 for cellular plans for their family. I didn’t pay that much per month in rent in college (okay I’m a bit aged).
Back on topic, even though I’m a huge lifetime football fan I’ve found I’ve gotten to the point that I can’t sit and watch a 3 hour game, at least if it’s not Dallas. The only way I can watch games with teams that I don’t care that much about is red zone. I think my generations attention span for football games has waned because of life (kids, etc), while the current and next gen attention spans begin at about 10 minutes and has to be portable. It’s just life now. Expecting people to be Glued to the couch for three hours is a losing business model going forward.

tico

Reaction score
Totally agree!

DirecTV has been horrible since AT&T took over! Horrible customer service....just awful!
They all have accents and don't understand you...lmao I think in the Philippines

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I hope they do. And they get more options for everyone.
Even though I get all the games. But if I ever decide to move back to Florida it would be nice to have options.

AT&T and DTV have really became bad and hard to do business with. Their customer reps are rude and will insult you.
+1000

I was a DirecTV customer for 20 years. I did independent contract work for them for 5. In less than a year of AT&T taking over I quit both. Absolute **** hole of a company.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Good. The Sunday Ticket in 2019 is a very antiquated model. NFL is way behind the times in this regard.

As someone else mentioned, streaming packages dedicated to individual teams would sell really big.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
+1000

I was a DirecTV customer for 20 years. I did independent contract work for them for 5. In less than a year of AT&T taking over I quit both. Absolute **** hole of a company.

ATT is like Disney. Whenever they get their hands on something, it goes to crap.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I just want a Dallas Cowboys (individual team) package. I don't need to see all of the games each week, but I do want to watch all 16 Cowboys' games every year, no matter where I live.

^^ This. And without the "we don't have that game because [CBS/Fox/ESPN] has it." I want a steaming service of all 16 games plus playoffs if applicable. If a particular game is covered by CBS or whoever in my area, just give them a cut of what I paid.

dckid

Reaction score
Finally! The Exclusive rights contract the NFL had with DirecTV never made sense to me. Why settle for one provider for your network when you can have several bid for it, probably resulting in more money for the NFL? Imagine ho much the NFL could make if they sold NFL Sunday Ticket to all the major cable providers as well as DirecTV. They could also live stream all the games on a pay-per-view basis. They need to do something. DirecTV does not work for everyone - I don;t have a clear line of sight to the HD satellites, for example - and, Sunday Ticket is ridiculously expensive. I want to cancel DirecTV and just stream the games, but DirecTV no longer allows this.
I agree. I’d didnt like it the mid 90’s when the package started. Today it makes even less sense. Just imagine how much more money can make with streaming options. The league does have to be careful not to mess withthe existing CBS, ESPN, FOX contracts as we all should know that is really the cash cow that allows the teams and players.

Rayman70

Reaction score
it outlived its usefulness. GOOD. Roger has this one right. They were charging customers a fortune. I think we will see a cheaper,more affordable competitive market soon. Especially with Hulu,Roku, Sling TV and others starting to offer live TV...which means GAMES. Directv and Dish better decide if they wanna be competitive or lose lots of customers.I haven't had Satellite tv in 2 years. Digital antenna and Hulu,Roku is all you really need guys. I have yet to miss a single Dallas game.I pay less than 50 bucks a month in total. Not to mention I get all the games I want..at least, the ones that matter.

Rayman70

Reaction score
buyer beware tho with Sling Tv. They have a limited offering of channels and are a bit more pricey. They offer the NFL network, but meh...its not worth paying more for it, so I dropped SLING TV altogether. Hulu offered the same channels,live TV..local channels...except for NFL NETWORK,WHICH SUCKS ANYWAY. I urge folks to look inti HULU and Roku for their devices,TV. Satellite is fast becoming obsolete. I have wifi, so my smart TV with Roku built in...and it picks up HULU and if I want it, sling tv. and also Netflix. WAY WORTH IT GUYS. I was paying upwards of a 150 per month with satellite. Now I pay a fraction of that for basically better quality programming.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
it outlived its usefulness. GOOD. Roger has this one right. They were charging customers a fortune. I think we will see a cheaper,more affordable competitive market soon. Especially with Hulu,Roku, Sling TV and others starting to offer live TV...which means GAMES. Directv and Dish better decide if they wanna be competitive or lose lots of customers.I haven't had Satellite tv in 2 years. Digital antenna and Hulu,Roku is all you really need guys. I have yet to miss a single Dallas game.I pay less than 50 bucks a month in total. Not to mention I get all the games I want..at least, the ones that matter.

I have had Directv for over 15 years- every year they get worse and worse... the only reason I have it is because of Sunday Ticket. If I could just be assured that I can get the games that aren’t on regular TV I would cancel. Do you think I can??

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have had Directv for over 15 years- every year they get worse and worse... the only reason I have it is because of Sunday Ticket. If I could just be assured that I can get the games that aren’t on regular TV I would cancel. Do you think I can??
I know you can. I was in same boat as you. They kept raising their rates..pretty soon, I had to choose between my BP meds or my Satellite lol. That's when I did some investigating and found out I could pay a fraction of the cost and while I cant get nfl network(no great loss), I still get a multitude of games. I average 3 games each Sunday I can choose from..via my local channels,hulu live,Roku...which has the Pluto Channel..which again..offers my local and some out of market games . I live 2 hours west of Dallas, so I get each Dallas game without fail...all 16. PLUS I get espn on hulu...so I get any nfl games there. The only ones I miss is when the NFL NETWORK sometimes has a game..BUT even then, fox has a deal where they show the game too,live! So essentially, I NEVER MISS ONE. You really ought to do some digging. You will cut your bill big time. GET RID OF SATELLITE.

Rayman70

Reaction score
STRONGARMQB...go check out Hulu,Roku,Sling tv. See if you like their programming and cost. I am really sure you will. if YOU have wifi like me, your smart TV and all your devices will detect it and you can watch on all your devices. My TV already has the roku device built in..so I didn't need to spend the 19.99 for the little roku device. SOMETIMES you get one for free when you sign up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sign up for roku first, then go to hulu.com..register and pick your programming etc...then you can sign up for a 7 day free trial...at least I did.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BTW..Roku is free unless you need to buy the device..even then, its dirt cheap. Beats the HELL outta cable or Satellite. I get like 300 channels..and my grand total each month comes out to 47.50..that includes Netflix.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Contrary to some of the testimony I’ve read here Direct TV has been an excellent provider I’ve used since my 12 ft Satellite became extinct in the 90’s.

And since AT&T took over having their Mobile TV ap which doesn’t use Data is simply fantastic. I can watch, record and view Direct TV anywhere on any of my devices.

Now that Direct TV allows additional Genies on one server I’m able to have multiple TV’s run on one receiver while watching different networks. I now have two receivers with 6 Genies. Truly magnificent!

And every couple years I complain about the price or their introductory offers and they comp me free services and or discounts to retain my service.

Watching TV and multiple sporting events or games is a priority in my life and household. Direct TV and now AT&T serves me well.

I’ve been using Satellite since the early 80’s when all of the Galaxy satellites were free with your own 12 ft mesh dish. And watching all of the games for most of the last 35 years sparing no expense for my sports enthusiasm at home. As usual companies figure out how to charge more for these services keeping up with technology. And I’m willing to pay.

Last edited: