Gordon rockin a Cowboys shirt on Rome

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Or is it as likely that he is posturing to lower expectations, both of MIN and other potential bidders for AP? Or maybe even trying to deflect some scrutiny by the NFL as a result of the Team website stating that the Cowboys would have an interest in trading for AP (which has been alleged by Florio was tampering)?

I bet the Vikings heard about Stephen's comments and were so conflicted. Things like that.

Reaction score
I bet the Vikings heard about Stephen's comments and were so conflicted. Things like that.

So it was just a public service announcement to Cowboys' fans, huh? So nice of Stephen to make sure we all know the exact plans of the team each step of the way.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me on Gordon is that there's already quite a bit of tread on the tires (4,915 yards) - that and the fact that he'll need to get use to catching out of the backfield more.

I think Gurley has a higher ceiling, but I have to admit that the ACL worries me a bit. I know we've come a long way on our knee surgeries, but an ACL replacement from the patella tendon is never a proper substitute for the ACL itself. I say this as someone who has an ACL reconstruction and have never felt quite right even after extensive rehab.

One thing's for sure: I would never take a RB in the top five of a draft anymore - those picks need to be reserved for 10 - 15 year players.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Many on here think Gurley will be the next best thing but Gordon will be a bust because he's from Wisconsin.

When is the last time the SEC produced a good 1st round RB in the draft? Trent Richardson, Mark Ingram, Knowshon Moreno, Darren Mcfadden, Felix Jones, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams....

I think Gordon has just as good of a chance as to be successful as Gurley, regardless of a school's or conference's history in the draft at a particular position

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I love the kid's personality. I've heard him a couple times on The dan patrick show and some others. He sounds like a good kid hope it goes well for him wherever he goes.

Wood

Reaction score
Not a big fan of Gordon. The three RBs who I think are better fit for Dallas: Gurley, Tevin Colemen and Jay Ajayi.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If they are running the same system that allowed the previous draft failures to get selected high then it would be even more foolish to not take that into consideration.

so what was it about Wisconsin's SYSTEM that caused all of those backs to fail in the NFL?

Also keep in mind a few things
-Montee Ball is still very early in his career. He may amount to nothing, but it is early to write him off. Either way, I still would not compare him to Gordon, since Gordon was a superior college player and pro prospect.
-Michael Bennett had 1296 rushing yards in his 2nd season before injuries kept him from living up to his potential. Talent was there.
-P.J. Hill and John Clay went undrafted and thus do not compare to Melvin Gordon as prospects

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not a big fan of Gordon. The three RBs who I think are better fit for Dallas: Gurley, Tevin Colemen and Jay Ajayi.

Scratch Ajayi off the list..............Broaddus said on Talking Cowboys that he has a degenerative knee condition that cant be fixed, kinda like Leary.

He said some teams are red carding Ajayi completely off their draft boards and that while he was rumored to go in the late first round before, he will probably be a 4th round pick at best now.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Trade up for Gurley. Put him behind this offensive line and let that running game terrorize NFL defenses for the next 5 years or longer. He is elite. No other runner in this draft is. And I don't just want a serviceable RB

I don't know if Gurley is the man but I agree.I don't want just a serviceable back.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Much thanks man.

Yeah, Dallas has completely reworked its way of running things since about 2010, so I have figured there is little to no chance they trade picks for anybody (incl AP). I couldn't be happier about it either. They're finally running things the way we've been begging for since about 1996. No more Roy Williams/Joey Galloway trades (thank God!), and no more spending huge on big names who are past (or almost) their prime.

Fans of the way Dallas used to do things will just say that Stephen is lying about it and AP is coming to Dallas... but it isn't going to happen. Not for draft picks (and likely not for players either).

hallaluya

waving monkey

Reaction score
Agree. With Gurley and Gordon gone at 27, only a WR would probably be the BPA from offense.

With the RB's gone, I probably would end up going defensive BPA as well. It looks like a CB will be BPA with the backs gone, which will probably be Kevin Johnson, Byron Jones, and maybe Marcus Peters (assuming he is on Dallas' board).

I'm starting to wonder if I wouldn't take Grady Jarrett. I really like the player and he plays a spot on defense that I'm always willing to upgrade. IMO he is a fantastic DT for Marinelli's defense.

I don't think they will though. Maybe with a slight trade back but it does take two to tango (just ask Idgit and Alexander).

I was thinking about taking Jarrett at 60 since the consensus is his a third round talent but at 27?

superonyx

Reaction score
If Dallas was concerned about committing resources to Murray due to his injury history then they will really be concerned with Gurley. This guy has never played an entire season without real injury.
Gurley is scary because he has an upright reckless style and players that can't stay healthy in college usually can't stay healthy in the pros.

I am intrigued by him however these injury concerns are real.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think the RB thing is fascinating.

You have fans thinking it does not matter who runs the ball "behind this line", but then in the same ignorant breath will express a preference at which RB we might draft.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

We have to get this RB thing right from this draft. Biggest hole on the team and if we get the wrong runner, we take a huge step backwards.

Yep. The Cowboys have to get this right after they decided to let Murray go. Otherwise I'd be all defense too.

birdwells1

Reaction score
so what was it about Wisconsin's SYSTEM that caused all of those backs to fail in the NFL?

Also keep in mind a few things
-Montee Ball is still very early in his career. He may amount to nothing, but it is early to write him off. Either way, I still would not compare him to Gordon, since Gordon was a superior college player and pro prospect.
-Michael Bennett had 1296 rushing yards in his 2nd season before injuries kept him from living up to his potential. Talent was there.
-P.J. Hill and John Clay went undrafted and thus do not compare to Melvin Gordon as prospects

Their run game is superior due to the oline rather than the rb, think Cowboys 2014. I'm not writing him off as a bust but I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him due to where he came from.

Montee Ball (over 1900 yards his senior year) should be starting from where he was drafted, he was in effective and an udfa took his spot and Hillman maybe the #2 this year.
Bennett was a first round pick and for that you get 1 thousand yard season? Not worth the investment.
I listed Hill and Clay because they also put up numbers.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Scratch Ajayi off the list..............Broaddus said on Talking Cowboys that he has a degenerative knee condition that cant be fixed, kinda like Leary.

He said some teams are red carding Ajayi completely off their draft boards and that while he was rumored to go in the late first round before, he will probably be a 4th round pick at best now.

So he's the Boys' next Leary? Woo hoo!

School

Reaction score
Gordon was wearing a Lions hat back in December.

B4mBz2JCcAA93BD.jpg

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Their run game is superior due to the oline rather than the rb, think Cowboys 2014. I'm not writing him off as a bust but I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him due to where he came from.

So it's not the SYSTEM, ala Denver RBs, it's the talent they have on the o-line? Fair enough, but I would point out that there were 0 All Americans on that o-line the last 2 seasons (0 on the first, second, third and fourth teams) and only 1 First team big ten selection in 2014 (0 second team) and 1 Second team big ten selection in 2013 (0 first team).

Montee Ball (over 1900 yards his senior year) should be starting from where he was drafted, he was in effective and an udfa took his spot and Hillman maybe the #2 this year.
Not really. 58th overall is at the end of the second round, teams usually do want their second round picks to start, but after 2 years, I'd still say it is early to write him off.

Bennett was a first round pick and for that you get 1 thousand yard season? Not worth the investment.
And the injuries that derailed his career had nothing to do with him being from Wisconsin. The point with Bennett is he was not over rated as a prospect since he proved to have the talent worthy of a first round pick.

I listed Hill and Clay because they also put up numbers.
My point with mentioning that they were undrafted was to make you realize Gordon has more going for him than production. Tons of backs produce around the country, but aren't viewed as first round picks. These 2 had skills that scouts knew would not translate into the NFL, thus they weren't thought much of as prospects. This is not the case with Gordon.