Gosselin: Jason Garrett, staff let Cowboys down when they were needed most

Nav22

Reaction score
so why were Payton's other seasons omitted from yours?

you're cutting a critical piece to prove your point for obvious reasons. since 2014? why since 2014? oh because 2014 was the only season JG had above .500. i get it. LOL

What's worse: considering the 2 most recent years, or omitting the 2 most recent years and only considering the years BEFORE the 2 most recent years?

Ask someone for the answer and get back to me.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
What's worse: considering the 2 most recent years, or omitting the 2 most recent years and only considering the years BEFORE the 2 most recent years?

Ask someone for the answer and get back to me.

whats worse is you omitting sean paytons multiple winning seasons but leaving Carrot's ONLY ONE winning season.

at least i left Carrot's one winning season in my clips. i could have clipped that out too like you did with Payton and still proved the point.

SMH n LMAO

again...

hqdefault.jpg

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Wrong on every level possible.

I never once spoke about whether or not the Cowboys have great talent. For the record, I do think we're a talented team when healthy.

I responded to someone who claims we that do have talent and who's clearly opposed to our coach who a) helped us acquire that talent, and b) won 12 games with much of that talent a season ago.

That's why it's funny to me. He calls the Cowboys talented in order to tear down the coach for underachieving, but doesn't want to give ANYBODY credit for bringing in that talent. Typical logic failure that I see all the time from Cowboys fans.

The only logic fail here is you, bro.

You can't blame talent as a means of absolving the coaches and then say, "oh, but I think we're pretty talented" when the lack of talent excuse blows up in your face.

The Cowboys haven't been injured for five straight years. Garrett's record is what it is at this point. He's a .500 coach.

Look, if you think Garrett still has what it takes to be successful in this league, that's fine, but don't go around insulting people for refusing to ignore what's right in front of their face.

Nav22

Reaction score
When was Garrett given the GM title??? I missed the headline saying Jerry gave up that responsibility. This is a big deal. Thanks for breaking the story.:lmao:

Hahaha!

That's all you get. Reading comprehension isn't for anyone. Hopefully you can still live an enjoyable life without that very fundamental skill.

Nav22

Reaction score
The only logic fail here is you, bro.

You can't blame talent as a means of absolving the coaches and then say, "oh, but I think we're pretty talented" when the lack of talent excuse blows up in your face.

The Cowboys haven't been injured for five straight years. Garrett's record is what it is at this point. He's a .500 coach.

Nothing blew up in my face. Garrett won 12 games with a healthy QB a season ago. Blame him for close losses with trash at QB this year all you want. He's the coach and he'll own that.

He'll also be the coach next year and will win a ton of games if he has his QB healthy. And he'll own that too.

cml750

Reaction score
Hahaha!

That's all you get. Reading comprehension isn't for anyone. Hopefully you can still live an enjoyable life without that very fundamental skill.

Sticks and stones. Funny you have to sink to insults when you lose the argument.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Nothing blew up in my face. Garrett won 12 games with a healthy QB a season ago. Blame him for close losses with trash at QB this year all you want. He's the coach and he'll own that.

He'll also be the coach next year and will win a ton of games if he has his QB healthy. And he'll own that too.

I think the point is it is very debatable that Garrett won these games last year, i.e. that it is his coaching that was responsible for, or had a significant impact on, such a record. It was more of Romo having an outstanding season, Murray running for over 1800 yards, etc. This conclusion is due to holistically looking at his entire coaching tenure, inclusive of this year. In other words, he doesn't seem to provide anything. Most of the team's success or lack thereof is due to Romo or his absence, respectively.

cml750

Reaction score
Edit!! I think this is a good thread and do not want to see it in the rant zone so I will quit the back and forth. Look we are all Cowboys fans and want the best for the team. We just all have different opinions. You haven't changed mine and I doubt I have changed yours. So peace!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

endersdragon

Reaction score
I think part of my problems with wanting to blame Garrett for everything is that I am a Hawkeye fan. Last year everyone in the state of Iowa was wanting Ferentz gone and blaming him for all the problems the Hawkeyes were having the last few years, and losing every "trophy game" last year. Do you think the Hawkeyes would be in the Rose Bowl with a new head coach this year?

Gameover

Reaction score
Nothing could be further from the truth, one only needs to look at Parcell's post game presser after our 8th win in his first season, he got very emotional and almost broke down when declaring 'you can't call these guys losers anymore', Bill Parcells never floated through a coaching job ever.

All praises to Lord Parcells. May you enjoy those Giant super bowl victories!

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

Garrett won 12 games in one out of five seasons. We call that an outlier. Rich Kotite had a few playoff season as well.

Nav22

Reaction score
I think part of my problems with wanting to blame Garrett for everything is that I am a Hawkeye fan. Last year everyone in the state of Iowa was wanting Ferentz gone and blaming him for all the problems the Hawkeyes were having the last few years, and losing every "trophy game" last year. Do you think the Hawkeyes would be in the Rose Bowl with a new head coach this year?

Look around the league.

Do the best teams typically panic and fire the coach after a bad, injury-riddled season? Or do they typically dust themselves off and go back to work with the guy they've believed is the right man for the job all along?

Same emotional Cowboys fans who wanted Garrett gone after 2013 then changed their tunes after 2014.

So this is their 3rd "tune" in 3 years, for those counting at home.

Nav22

Reaction score
I think the point is it is very debatable that Garrett won these games last year, i.e. that it is his coaching that was responsible for, or had a significant impact on, such a record. It was more of Romo having an outstanding season, Murray running for over 1800 yards, etc. This conclusion is due to holistically looking at his entire coaching tenure, inclusive of this year. In other words, he doesn't seem to provide anything. Most of the team's success or lack thereof is due to Romo or his absence, respectively.

Well in that case, let's debate how much ANY coach actually meant to his team's winning record. Why even attach records to coaches if they're irrelevant to the team's success?

And if Garrett doesn't get credit for last season, shouldn't he also receive no blame for this season? Can't have it both ways.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
One thing Gosselin did not point out. Garrett was a QB, so why couldn't he get the backups to produce a little more? Winning three of the seven games he mentions and it's a silver instead of a blue, blue Christmas

dfense

Reaction score
Gosselin is a hack. You never hear from him during a 12-4 season do you? Blame coaching on the blown games that they were in right to the end. How about giving Garrett some credit once and a while for taking a team like Seattle to the final seconds with a worthless 2nd string QB. I'm sure Garrett didn't stick himself with Weeden. Coaching isn't going to do crap when your defense is completely out of gas at the end of a game because your offense can't string together 4 plays for most of the game. With a healthy Romo and Dez, for the season, they would have run away with this division easy.

It's obvious Dallas has some holes to fill. They've added some good players in the last few drafts. Now they're in a position to add a difference making player and get a 4th place division schedule next year. Let's hope someone can restrain Jerry from trading away the Cowboys future on draft day. I for one, have seen one too many coaching changes every few years just to shake things up and start over.

Dodger12

Reaction score
With the Texans managing to get production out of Weeden it is what it is. We need to draft a QB but Garrett and company do not inspire much confidence that they can do anything with the position. Without Romo, Garrett struggles.

I think the issues are institutional. I think the star culture at VR runs contrary to winning. I think the inability to develop QB and TE is related to how their star players are coddled. It's not so much the scheme that is the problem but instead how the players and scheme are implemented.

The other QBs run a different looking offense than what Romo does. Murray is ridden into the ground and when he leaves the other RB are ill prepared. No other TE can accomplish anything and Witten never ever leaves the field. They trade away depth via draft picks to insure that they get their 'star' player.

I don't blame the players. They are going to set up what they can to get things done but for a coach that talks about "attention to detail" he seems a bit obtuse. That's not all on Garrett. All of this is made possible by the guy at the top who still insists on being called GM despite hiring Will McClay and having his son negotiate his contracts. The man whose primary purposes seems to be to undermine the authority of the people administering under him: Jerry Jones.

This is an interesting take after 5 years of Garrett as the HC. So Garrett isn't that strong willed leader who controlled Jerry and provided Jerry with a vision and a direction for this franchise? So the process and the multi-year building project have been a myth? It's interesting after the Landry, Johnson, Bellichick comparisons that all of a sudden he's some lackey. I see where all this is going. Flip flopping doesn't suit you........

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Well in that case, let's debate how much ANY coach actually meant to his team's winning record. Why even attach records to coaches if they're irrelevant to the team's success?

And if Garrett doesn't get credit for last season, shouldn't he also receive no blame for this season? Can't have it both ways.

The proposition is that Garrett hasn't meant much to the team's success. This is irrelevant to whether other coaches have. Also, no one is defending the proposition that coaches are irrelevant to a the success of a team. If they were, then there would be no point to this discussion.

Garrett does get some credit for the previous season, but is appears to be minimal, because of what happened the following season, i.e., this year, and previous seasons before then. That's the point of the argumentation. It's over five years into his tenure, and there is only one playoff victory to show for it. It's always some other excuse that just doesn't fly anymore.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This is an interesting take after 5 years of Garrett as the HC. So Garrett isn't that strong willed leader who controlled Jerry and provided Jerry with a vision and a direction for this franchise? So the process and the multi-year building project have been a myth? It's interesting after the Landry, Johnson, Bellichick comparisons that all of a sudden he's some lackey. I see where all this is going. Flip flopping doesn't suit you........

Consistency is overrrated. You have no idea what my point is because you cannot see past your binary simplification. I'm not sure how you get that I'm flip flopping when I describe him as average yet here you are with it anyway.

There are more way of looking at things than the opposite of your opinion.