CZ POLL Grade the Cowboys Draft

What grade do u give to the Cowboys 2018 Draft class?

• A+

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • A

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • A-

Votes: 73 18.6%
  • B+

Votes: 108 27.6%
  • B

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • B-

Votes: 25 6.4%
  • C+

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • C

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • C-

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • D

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Very Happy with this draft, we better never let Will McClay out of the building!

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
A+ because we had an "elite" draft. PFF said it and I'm riding that bolt of lightning all the way into training camp.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He damn sure looks the part pick: The DE from Kansas - He displayed a complete repertoire of pass rush moves in his highlight package. Speed, power, hands, spin move, duck under... WOW
People are selling this kid so short it's almost laughable. He won't have a big impact this year but next year will be a different story.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I said B+.....I’m a bit skeptical of LVE but I’m happy with the rest of the picks. Williams, Gallup and Armstrong were amazing value picks.

The lack of help in the secondary is not good. We are relying on Jeff Heath to be our leader in the secondary. We need veteran help at safety and CB imo. If we can do that, I’m satisfied with the offseason.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
That or a trade down.
First, it would have been at least a third, if not more, to move up. I would have loved James, but not to give up picks. If they had traded down, they most likely miss out on both Evans and LVE. Not worth it.

I gave it an A-

LVE went were most had him slotted. Has more upside than Evans.

Williams was a value pick that filled a big need.

Gallup was a guy that was a value pick that filled a need.

Three immediate starters that fill needs.

The rest, fourth rounders are 50/50 to ever start.

But we got a TE that will compete for a spot.

A defensive end that has a lot of potential.

A QB that most had ranked much higher and could very well end up as our backup.

A sixth round WR that very well could make the roster and will keep getting better.

A running back that was rated higher and will push for the backup job.

And a linebacker that could make the roster.

They didn't reach on a single pick, they got great value on several picks, they filled needs on every pick and they didn't give up any picks. They also traded a sixth for a gadget guy with speed and NFL experience.

I can't see how this draft isn't in the A range.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I gave it a B+, a lot of solid picks especially in the first 3 rounds, but I was really hoping to see the FO make some deals to get another pick in the 3rd. It looked like a lot of other teams had the same idea, looked like quite a bit of wheelin' and dealin' going on. We'll find out in a couple of years, how this draft really grades out.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
How in the hell does LVE compare to Bosworth the steriod based freak?

His pursuit sidelines to sidelines at the LOS & his pure tackling ability..... He's a tick slower, but he compares very favorably in all other phases.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1(19) Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise St.
2(50) Connor Williams G Texas
3(81) Michael Gallup WR Colorado St.
4(116) Dorance Armstrong DE Kansas
4(137) Dalton Schultz TE Stanford
5(171) Mike White QB Western Kentucky
6(193) Chris Covington OLB Indiana
6(208) Cedrick Wilson WR Boise St.
7(236) Bo Scarbrough RB Alabama

Picks I liked
2(50) Connor Williams G Texas - Great value on a versatile player.
3(81) Michael Gallup WR Colorado St. - Future 2.
6(208) Cedrick Wilson WR Boise St. - A steal at this point.
7(236) Bo Scarbrough RB Alabama - Imagine facing Zeke and that OL then having to deal with this guy when Zeke needs a blow.

Picks I'm okay with
1(19) Leighton Vander Esch ILB Boise St. - Had him conservatively rated at 50 because of just one year of production. Only okay with it because of the talent and high ceiling.
5(171) Mike White QB Western Kentucky - A solid developmental guy. Has a lot of arm talent but is immobile and doesn't handle pressure well.

Picks I didn't like
4(116) Dorance Armstrong DE Kansas - They contemplated trading back into round 3 for this guy? Why?
4(137) Dalton Schultz TE Stanford - Another backup quality TE on the roster.
6(193) Chris Covington OLB Indiana - The wrong Indiana linebacker. Destined for a camp cut.

The trades
I didn't like either. This fascination with filling "the Lance Dunbar role" nauseates me. There is no Lance Dunbar role. Lance Dunbar sucked. That's why Lance Dunbar at 28 years of age is out of the league right now. This safe space mentality of sitting your best player so some bum can handle 3rd downs only hurts the offense. Emmitt Smith was allowed to be Emmitt Smith. Emmitt didn't have a Lance Dunbar and no the league has not changed to warrant it. Let Ezekiel Elliott be Ezekiel Elliott. Tavon Austin's presence on the roster means less Zeke. I find it amusing to read so many people who claim this coaching staff lacks creativity on offense now supporting the addition of a gadget player like Austin. As if this staff will do what the Rams couldn't.

I'd have liked to have seen what Switzer could offer as a receiver. It seems premature to move on from him at this point. Especially for a guy who has done nothing in his two years in the league. Because of age and contract I'd have been more interested in moving Beasley than Switzer but not for the player they got in return. The Cowboys acquired two busts in these trades.

Grade: C+ (B- draft gets dinged by the trades)

Cap12

Reaction score
The Armstrong, White and especially Covington picks dragged it down from an A for me.
I don't love the Covington pick, but what's wrong with the other 2? White is a talented, young QB prospect that can be developed (and an upgrade over Cooper Rush). Dane Brugler had a 3-4 Grade on him so getting him in the late 5th is great value. Armstrong, was a good player on a bad team. He's a poor man's Harold Landry (but to be honest, not much poorer). He's got more size than Landry and played hurt much of 2017 (and in a different scheme). Dane had him ranked as a solid 3rd rounder (and great value at pick 117). He has a chance to be a decent part of the D-Line rotation.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't love the Covington pick, but what's wrong with the other 2? White is a talented, young QB prospect that can be developed (and an upgrade over Cooper Rush). Dane Brugler had a 3-4 Grade on him so getting him in the late 5th is great value. Armstrong, was a good player on a bad team. He's a poor man's Harold Landry (but to be honest, not much poorer). He's got more size than Landry and played hurt much of 2017 (and in a different scheme). Dane had him ranked as a solid 3rd rounder (and great value at pick 117). He has a chance to be a decent part of the D-Line rotation.
Armstrong is a try hard player, but there is not a lot of explosion to his game. That is what makes a good rusher.

I don't see how we can maximize the value from White. He's not going to get a chance to compete for a starting job.

Verdict

Reaction score
B minus. I'm concerned about LVE in year one. I'm concerned about Williams prior injury. I am concerned about Armstrongs speed. TE is a blocker only and we have that in Swaim.

RB will probably go to practice squad. Covington will be cut and maybe go to practice squad. Should have drafted OBO as far as he fell. Same with St. Brown.

They get a B minus for the Austin trade. It's a low risk high reward trade. White was good insurance.

I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt but they passed on some damn good football players several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.